PUP OR STARTED DOG ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

transman63

PUP OR STARTED DOG ?

Post by transman63 »

which one would you prefer ? and why ?
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

Ole Mule

Re: PUP OR STARTED DOG ?

Post by Ole Mule »

That's a good question, I have never had rabbit dogs and never trained one either. But I chose to get a pup because I just like pups and thought that would be a good way to go. I am going to give it my best shot but will be satisfied even if I just wind up with a couch potato. My granddaughters will love them whether they hunt or not and I guess I will to.
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

barnold1

Post by barnold1 »

All pups so far (4). We socialize the heck out of when they're young and they all seem to listen and handle better than the average dog. Having said this, the first two came at the same time as pups and learned to run through the school of hard knocks by their own experience; I soloed the crap out of my big male back in the day. With the two bitches, they both benefitted from having the seasoned oder dogs to learn from and it seemed to accelerate the curve.
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I like pups because I like working with them, bonding, snuggling them, etc. But all puppies are a crap shoot. Even the best-bred pups don't make it. With a started dog you get a chance to see if it runs and handles the way you like. Generally, a started dog will cost more, but you'll get hunting immediately. I just like the bonding time and seeing the pups develop.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

mdbeagler

Post by mdbeagler »

I tend to like working with puppies, nothing like hearing that young pup open for the first time on a track.
On the other hand if I needed a started dog from a particular bloodline for my breeding program, I wouldn't have a problem going that route either. It all depends on what you want or need at that time.

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

If there the same price, starter dog.

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

It's kinda like having a major league baseball team. Do you fork out the money to sign the proven vet or do you gamble on the minor leaguer that has the potential to be one of the best players in the game? You know what you're getting with the vet and the price is usually associated with the production. However, there are several cases where the prospect was brought up and performed better than any vet you could've signed. I don't see anything wrong with either choice as I've done both. At the moment I have all minor leaguers in the kennel with the hopes of fielding a good team in a couple of years.

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

I would rather pay 5 or 600 bucks for a started dog that i can see in action then raise a pup that i might not like and have that much in it anyway .and
have the whole dang family attatched to it. lol but i do both it helps me put space in between my dogs ages so when one is going good i got another
one starting out. i like runnin young dogs more than i do finished dogs. jm

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

Usually a pup. It's hard hunting where I live, and if it was started in a starting pen/area with tons of rabbits you can easily tell a difference.

transman63

Post by transman63 »

I like a started pup "but" its hard to get a good one. I would take my chances with a pup out of good stuff if I had the chose.
AJ'S KENNEL'S .