all this talk about dog food.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ant

all this talk about dog food.

Post by ant »

i hear all this talk about dog food and read all the treads on them and understand that it is important to feed my dogs the best. last trip to the feed store i ran into a feed salesman and he had a talk with me about the difference in dog feed. well he had me sold ...this stuf came out to be about .85 cents per pound and the sales rep. said to only feed the dogs 1 cup. wow thats nothing ,i feel bad giving the dog 1 cup..

what do you guys like to see in the dog food you use?
what type of Guaranteed Analysis?
i like to support dog food companys that support our breed.
you go to the trials and see purina,joy ect....that feed the hounds but i compaired the lables and and it seemed that the stuf the sails rep. sold me had a lot of nutritious ingredients.
anthony

Bsbowhunter

Dog Food

Post by Bsbowhunter »

Ant, I often wonder if you get writer's cramp, as I see you post daily on about every board out there. Anyway, as far as dog food is concerned, you are on the right track. I also believe in patronizing the Companies that support our sport, but balance that with nutritional analysis. In honesty, I feed my larger hounds "Ole Roy - High Protein or Lamb & Rice" from Walmart. It's too expensive to feed them the higher price dog foods. The largest complaint is the amount of stool. The more "fillers" they put into dog food, the higher the precentage of undigested material, thus lots of "waste".
I have a new puppy and am scheduled to pick up another right after Christmas. I am/will be feeding those "Science Diet". Happy Holidays

ant

Post by ant »

thanks for the reply..i see what your talking about ...about the "filler matterial''i picked up a bag o $7.00/50 lbs. of dogfood from sam's club and the pen is full of stool's were my mut is kenneled.

same size dog as my 2 year old beagle and 1/2 the size of stool useing the better food on the beagle..

LOL as for writers cramp........
i am getting better typing with one finger....plus i am out of work till 2/03 due to an operation so i am on the forums....
thanks all you guys for your replys in the past...
marry christmas.
anthony

Ed

All this Talk About Dog Food

Post by Ed »

No matter where anyone gets his info, talking about types of feed is important to all of us because that's one thing we all have to do, FEED.
Here in New England, Poulin Feeds has what I consider one of the best. Coats are real good, stools are of good consistancey, and I only feed 1-2 cups per day, depending on the individual dog. Tried Old Roy and everything was OK except, stools never firmed up, always runnie or real loose. Poulin is by far the best in my part of the world. Thanks