Rabbit recipe ideas

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

EMeade III

Rabbit recipe ideas

Post by EMeade III »

I'm looking for some new recipe ideas to get my fiance to eat some rabbit. I still got a few in the freezer looking to try something new. She didn't like it much just fried up in a skillet. She's also not a big fan of bbq either so any easy ideas would be appreciated.

walkerdogman85

Re: Rabbit recipe ideas

Post by walkerdogman85 »

A guy who I work with who recently started hunting with me makes rabbit jerky. He de bones it, then fine grinds it, then shoots it out of a jerky gun. You can't even tell it's rabbit. Also you could try pot pies.
Michael West
1-740-502-8956
http://www.simmonsrunbeagles.com/

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Rabbit stew. Take a couple rabbits to three.

Boil them lightly first, season water lightly, salt and pepper, you can also boil them in onions and celery, if you like.

Let them cool after boiled. Bone them out and cut them in bite size pieces. Put in a crock pot with potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, chicken stock. Set crock pot on low and let it go about 4-5 hours, until all is done, season to taste.

Bake you up some biscuits and enjoy!!

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

Rabbit Salad. Use your favorite chicken salad recipe and substitute rabbit for chicken.

There is always Hasenpfeffer. Most recipes call for alot of garlic, but I am not a big garlic fan an leave it out. Here is a link for a good looking dish. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hasenpfeffer-rabbit-stew/
Where's the earth shattering kaboom ?

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

Equal amounts Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, lemon juice, dash of salt and pepper, marinate in mixture for an hour or so, then cook in skillet with the Marinade until done.
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

jeremy rice

Post by jeremy rice »

earl hang them in a smoker and take a brush and paint honey on them. Taste just like a smoked ham. THen we put them in a crock pot with beans and you would swear it was smoked ham also use them in the roast recipe mentioned earlier. If yoy like smoked ham you will like the rabbit. We also debone them and make popcorn rabbit just like the popcorn chicken
RICE'S BEAGLES
Jeremy, Amy
Zack,Ashlee Rice

ky.backyardbeagles

Post by ky.backyardbeagles »

We like to take a couple of rabbits and cook them in a slow cooker until meat falls off the bone. Take the stock and put in a pan on the stove and add 1 can of chicken broth one big can of cream of celery. When it starts to boil drop in the dumplins add the rabbit meat salt and pepper and let simmer. My wife and daughters love it.

Dogman

Post by Dogman »

Cut in strips marinate in italian dressing over night,paper towel dry roll in bacon put a tooth pick in it, grill it basting with sweet and sour sauce.

kobler

Post by kobler »

Try boiling till meat starts to come off the bones and then cut meat in to pieces like pulled pork. Place in a deep fryer for a few minutes to crispen then put in bowl and add chicken wing sauce. You can eat it with your fingers or make a sandwich. We have done this with both Hare and Cottontails everyone really likes it my son took some to school once and every year since the kids ask for more.

EMeade III

Post by EMeade III »

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna try a couple of these for sure. Makes me wanna go kill a few more this next season just to try some of these recipes.

JCM

Post by JCM »

EMeade III wrote:Thanks everyone. I'm gonna try a couple of these for sure. Makes me wanna go kill a few more this next season just to try some of these recipes.
Oh no, there goes 3 or 4 boxes of shotgun shells. :lol:

EMeade III

Post by EMeade III »

JCM wrote:
EMeade III wrote:Thanks everyone. I'm gonna try a couple of these for sure. Makes me wanna go kill a few more this next season just to try some of these recipes.
Oh no, there goes 3 or 4 boxes of shotgun shells. :lol:
Or maybe more

big mike 50

Post by big mike 50 »

I really like fajitas. I usually take the days harvest and cook them in a crock pot then de-bone and freeze in about 1 pound bags and just sub for chicken in most recipes. Like I said fajitas or stir fry and my wife makes a killer pot pie
When the tailgate drops the bull$#!t stops

BEAGLEBLUES

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

I posted this a while back, but I will put it here again. I like the gumbo made with rabbit. here is what I do:

Start with ingredients

1 or 2 rabbits deboned and cut into bite size pieces.
1 large onion (Chopped)
1 bell pepper (Chopped)
2 stalks of celery (Chopped)
1 cup vegitable oil
1 cup flour
1 bag of frozen okra
1 can of crushed tomatoes
1pound of a hard sausage(what ever you like, I use Polish or italian)
salt
pepper
Oregino
Garlic Powder
Basil
hot sauce (for taste)
1 cup uncooked rice
1 box of chicken broth

Start making the roux(spelling check). take the oil and heat it in a heavy skillet and then start adding the flour. stirring the whole time. after all the flour is added, let it start to brown. cook until it turns a chocolate color. remove from heat and let cool.

next brown rabbit pieces and sausage pieces in a dutch oven or heavy stock pot. remove from pot and add the onions, peppers, celery, garlic powder, basil, and oregino. Sweat the veggies and then deglaze with chicken stock. add the rest of the broth, and add more water to fill pot to about half. add the sausage, rabbit, okra, salt and pepper, and hot sauce to taste, and can of tomatoes.
bring to a boil, and start to add the roux. this is a slow process. add alittle at a time stirring constantly. if you add all at once, you get runny dumplings (I learned this by experience).
reduce the heat and let cook on low for a while,(I know that is exact but I don't know how long I cooked it)

I work nights, so here is where I added it to a crock pot on low for about 6 hours, and then went to bed.
after I woke up, I took the rice, and added it and then turned it up on high for about an hour before we ate.

if this thickens to much, you might have to add some more chicken stock to thin it out. I like it thick, but still like a soup.

hope this helps.
Jamey

AprilD

Post by AprilD »

I used one of those oven bags to make one last week. super. Here is the link to the recipe.

http://www.basspro1source.com/index.php ... in-the-bag
April D
Grantville, PA