Fighting pups

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BradWV

Fighting pups

Post by BradWV »

I have two males same litter 5 1/2 months old. One of them wants to jump on the other one at feeding time and other times thru out the day to the point that it is getting pretty serious. I have been stopping it at feeding time in my own fashion but I am not here all of the time. I understand that they are jousting for dominance, but the last time I had two do this, at around 10 months it turned into a blood bath to the point one of them had to go. Any thoughts on putting the instigator in with one of my older males and letting him put the pup in his place? Any other ideas would be appreciated!

JLW

Re: Fighting pups

Post by JLW »

Don't think that would solve the problem just create another one. Don't kennel them together & your problem is solved , I kennel all my dogs separate even females...JMO

Westridge Beagles

Post by Westridge Beagles »

JLW wrote:Don't think that would solve the problem just create another one. Don't kennel them together & your problem is solved , I kennel all my dogs separate even females...JMO
I agree with JLW.

If you can, kennel them separate.
Westridge Beagles
Owners: Larry Hensley / Jason Osborne
YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC44gTz ... g/featured

couch potato jim

Post by couch potato jim »

I had the same issues with my two pups. I split them up no more problems . when you start running them they nwill forget all about that fighting
Couch Potato Jim
AKC Hill Shakers Little Candy Girl
AKC Candy's Little Dazzling Doc
AKC Jims Jazzy Jigs
AKC Candy's Little Booty Kicker
Chief White Ear
Jigs Iron Ike
Frenchmans Zacary Last @ Stud

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Absolutely split them up, keep more than just wire between them, put distance between them.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

NeilKimbrel7

Post by NeilKimbrel7 »

I keep a couple dogs in each kennel. I absolutely will not tolerate fighting in my kennel. Any time I get a dog at my house that wants to show dominance, I remind them I'm the alpha male at my house. You can feed 8 week old pups with any of my dogs.
HOF LPGRCH GRPCH FCGD Kimbrel's Kickem Up Kane
Kimbrel's Flyby Foxy lady
Kimbrel’s Rock
Peeple’s Naughty Girl

BAOTB

Ken Yerian

Post by Ken Yerian »

Had two females back in the early 70's that absolutley hated each other. It was so bad I couldn't even run them together so I sold one of them to my good friend Gary.. A couple of years later I went hunting with Gary and when we unloaded the dogs (we drove separate trucks) the two sisters imediately went at it tooth and nail. They never would run together even when they hadn't seen each other for at least two seasons. If I remember right they went back to Pearson Creek Carson and a Pine Grove female from Pennslvania. I looked around but couldn't come up with their papers. Medium speed and great noses.
Ken Yerian
Burr Oak Beagles

Ed Brown

Post by Ed Brown »

Brad, I think putting him with the older dog is about the only answer, who knows, that might not work either. This is a big problem with some male pups. Like you, I had to get rid of one of them before. As I recall when I separated them they didn't fight with other males, just something about a brother and your right AGAIN, it's the dominate thing. This doesn't always happen, only had it happen a couple times. :hammer: Hope all goes well.