Top Ten Hounds

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

EMeade III

Top Ten Hounds

Post by EMeade III »

I just read an article in the American beagler by Dave McVay where he listed his top ten hounds. I'm going to list the top ten hounds that I have saw run that made an impression on me.

1. Greenwells Reggie. love him or hate him he was best I have saw run. Watched him run alot when tony upton was half owner with Kevin Monroe before his akc days
2. Turbo powered by turbo. best jump dog I've ever hunted with or against I love that olé dog and his blood runs through my kennel today
3. Hornbills Topfuel Chester. only saw him run a couple times but liked everything about his style and ability
4. Meade's crystal. Not many prolly know of her but those who ran against her remember her. Best check dog I've ever saw. Old girl died young but still made hof.
5.Logan elm hobo. Powerhouse that died too young. He was a great reproducer also.
6. Jf Boadie. He sure wasn't the prettiest dog to ever run a rabbit but he was one thing a rabbit dog
7. Meade's scooby doo. Arguably the best dog we ever owned. He was mister consistent in whatever format he was in and the one dog you grabbed first when it was time to go bust some bunnies
8. Perkins run and gun buzzsaw. We had many battles in the field with buzzsaw and crystal. He was a jump dog and a track running fool. The tougher conditions the better he was.
9. Logan elm gypsy. As powerful a dog to come from logan elm kennels. She was impressive the year she won the world. Just a joy to watch drive a rabbit.
10. Sugar runs rollin thunder. Last on the list but could solo better than any dog I've ever saw. Jump dog and a check getting machine. Some hated him but I loved that dog we won plenty of hunts together and even though he was older I regret ever selling him.

Others that I could think of off hand. Sugar runs triple x, Brankos double bogey, east ridge black phantom, abshires junie, Brankos blue rider, Brankos chubby checkers just to name a few sure I'm still forgetting some.

That's my list I'm sure others will pop in my head that I forgot. I have saw many others only once or twice that are for sure worthy of the list but those are what I could remember right quick. Just curious ever one else top ten. No bashing dogs just curious of your top ten and why.

outrider66

Re: Top Ten Hounds

Post by outrider66 »

what did you see in reggie to make him #1 ? i like him too but never seen him go!

EMeade III

Post by EMeade III »

A better jump dog than most gave him credit for. Great check dog always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Just a powerful hound.

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

yep i see that in his offspring ! never hunted with ninja but sounds to me like that check strength is typical of this bloodline!
love it!

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

ol thunder was hell of a jump dog
i remember me and mark harmon we went down to ky bought couple of dogs
i knew on way back was lynnville mines so i took thunder with us
we let the 2 new dogs out they was on ground 15 min no rabbit yet
Mark said let the ol man out so i did less than 30 sec. jump strike he smoked there ass
i still have the dog i bought that day but i sure miss thunder
i like scooby doo littermate i have herbie
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

Mark H

Post by Mark H »

Wouldn't no where to start. Earl named some great ones. And foxy knows what I thought of thunder. Glomski dream boat dog was as fine as they came. But I gotta add my ol grand sky view smoke
LP GRCH Skyview Smoke
LP RCH Bryants little buddy

randy hicks

Post by randy hicks »

FC Try my patience female that finished this yr

FC top fuel chester

FC HICKSTERS INTIMIDATOR

FC brankos jack pot

FC brankos easy lumber ryder

Hicksters dime bag Darrel

tesse- bitch dAve MCvey owned

ole bad cliff

FC tall grass hank

woodeyes jamin jazz

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

Tank
Big Mike

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

These are the best 10 I have personally watched and judged numerous times and excluding anything I own and run.

1. World Champion Smiths Weedeater Tramp
2. World champion IFC greenwells Reggie
3. HOF LPGRCH Perkins Run N Gun Buzz Saw
4. LPGRCH Logan Elm Neal
5. HOF LPGRCH Big Meadows Breezy
6. FC Brents Prime Time
7. FC Durhams Lily
8. HOF Dual GRCH Bumper To Bumper
9. LPGRCH Wells Big Bomber
10. FC Chimney Rocks KY Lucky

I have seen several other nice nice dogs but these 10 came to mind. No particular order other than Tramp. Best female I ever put a lead strap on. Bar none
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

eddywilliams

Post by eddywilliams »

IFC Beaver Creeks Kick Az -Hare or cottontail real deal hard hunt big nose ,lock on power
FC Thompsons Try My Patience- As tuff a gyp ever dropped 13 or 15 -Jimmy power
FTCH Cryon Bo Diddley-Hard driving hunting machine ,big nose-Jimmy power
IFC Brankos Ali Baba -Old when I watched him but still done well
IFC Brankos Olympus -hard hitting ,endurance
FC Johnls Dock powerful
FC Brankos Cassie -Bad Azz gyp owned by Denny Dugan
FC Eyers Roscoe -couldove finished in the 15's imo
GRHBCH Rabbit Ridge Big Tuna -Extreme hunt ,solo a bunny great
HBCH Rabbit Ridge Maggie- fast amd accurate
Last edited by eddywilliams on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RABBIT RIDGE KENNELS :
HOME OF:
IFC BEAVER CREEKS KICK AZ
FCGD THOMPSONS TRY MY PATIENCE
OUTBACK MATILDA
RABBIT RIDGE ONE TUFF AZ KICKER
RABBIT RIDGE PARIS
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

Mark T

Post by Mark T »

#1 2XNLPC FC Mr. Stubs Little Bit Fancy- simply dominating
#2 IFC Armando's Levi- best hound I ever judged
#3 2X NLPC FC Maravic's Blue Barry- I hunted with him years before he was famous
#4 FC Maravic's Blue Moon- one of the hardest hitting females I have ever seen
#5 FC Lonesome Creek Tricky Nicki- hard to find fault with her
#6 IFC Awful Bawlin Hoser- tough.
#7 FTC Threejay's Jacks Maggie- great bitch from start to finish
#8 FC Maravic's Mr. Stubs Timberjack- miss this old guy, never let me down no matter what the conditions
#9 FTC Brankos Sweet Magnolia- big, tough watched her when Terry McBride was running her to her title
#10 FTC Moneysunk Mtn. Man- the Man...nuff said!

honorable mention
IFC Threejay's Jacks Cleo
FC Kemlers Baba Allie
NLPC IFC Speedy Sport
IFC Dirty Pond Blacky
Last edited by Mark T on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Hey Mark
No mention of Blue Ninja? Half the dogs you listed have him behind them.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Mark T

Post by Mark T »

Dana, Ninja died before I got to see him. I did see Mimi and Missy, but the were getting up in age. By all accounts they were outstanding. My old buddy Billy Mac had a good opinion of them, Missy was fantastic, but Mimi was flawless. The way Ninja produced, he could have stood in the gallery and chased his tail!! I could have listed another 10 at least. I was lucky enough to see some great ones, the kind you remember exactly where you were, the trial and conditions. Some winners are just the best that is on the ground that day, others leave lasting impressions. I could list half a dozen without a title that I hunted for years with that few would have ever heard of.

NorthBranch Rummer

Post by NorthBranch Rummer »

What about an old dog named Indian Hills Major?

Ken Yerian

Post by Ken Yerian »

only saw major go once but he was definitely the real deal. Seen a lot of his pups go. He sired some real good ones.
Ken Yerian
Burr Oak Beagles