Running Coyotes

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rbinford1

Running Coyotes

Post by rbinford1 »

A while back I wondered if I could train my dogs to run coyotes,, well yesterday I was out running ,been having some good races and seeing the rabbits ,any way seen a rabbit cross the road,I was waiting for the dogs to come accross, they went on , I walked around to check them out,and I seen them comming down the road right on the coyotes butt , he seen me and and turned right ,i,m not sure what I thought bout it ,think i was dazed lol did,nt shock them,they was smoking the track..Guess I should have lit them up but I did,nt ,I only have 2 dogs there big dogs over 15 maybe,they was,nt scared of it ,I think this is the 1st time they done this ,,, might be there last ,, just not sure if I want to break them from it ,,might be a problem later don,t know,, one is 3 in aug,,other 2 in may........Thanks for reading Randy.....

Will05

Re: Running Coyotes

Post by Will05 »

I have a buddy that keeps a few beagles for running coyotes. They will definitely do it and do it well. His are all big dogs as well i believe but i think any beagles will run them you just have to train them to do it.
Wsullivan777@gmail.com
Home of :
Sullivan's Sadie MaePatch
Sullivan's MollyPatch

Blue Chaser

Post by Blue Chaser »

running yotes is pretty popular here in Pa with the contests they have and I can tell you that if you want your dogs to run them that's fine but be prepared to chase them for miles, and I mean miles. Yotes will run and run and head out of dodge and you really need a GPS collar to see where the dogs are headed and try and beat them there to get a shot. Without a GPS collar to know where your dogs are you may never see your beagles again. Also, with beagles I would be careful of losing them to the yote as well. The yote will run and run but at some point his flight instinct will change to fight when he can't go any longer. If and when he decides to turn and fight, the beagles are now on the losing end. Everyone I know that runs them usually does so with a pack of larger hounds such as walkers and croghans.

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

I can tell you what will happen... You will go back and have a rabbit race... You will be sitting there thinking this is no where near the fun I was having when I was chasing a yote. You will then proceed to chase yotes. After building your pack you will all but forget about chasing rabbits. Trust me I know... I'm there...
hounds... hare.... hunter.... bang... what gets better than that.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

I run 6 of my big Patch Hounds on yotes. The first week in March this year from the first through the ninth we killed 19 yotes. The adrenalin runs high when you see a yote and the hounds at the same time. All these yotes were ran and killed in front of my hounds and four Patch Pups I bred at less than a year old. George out of Elvis and Marley is death on yotes.
My Buzz hound caught a yote that had been shot and still running, it got loose and the rest helped catch it again, this is a quickie clip, Abner on the left and Homer Homer on the right, Half Patch and half Crogan were keepin it bayed. WE had one yote run 7 miles before we killed him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGwuiPuYtZw

I love to run yotes and there are two pens I run in now, (BUT) I still run these same hounds on Swampers, Cotton Tails and Snowshoe Hare, don`t reckon as I`ll ever quit any of it.
Come Run

rackhntr

Post by rackhntr »

How do you know if their running a coyote or a deer?
Home of
HBCH Quaker Knob Jill
Quaker Knob On The Spot
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Rebel
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Dixie
Quaker Knob Hannah Jae
Quaker Knob Bitsy Boo

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

In Michigan Frank Randol`s guys drive and get visuals. They walk Foxy, Homer and Slick and a young hound in at differen`t points. Every one has radio`s and let every one on the road know when and what direction the hounds are headed, when they say head for a certain part of the road they go. They also have GPS collars.
Down here I just have to rely on my knowledge of the hounds. So far they have not hit a deer, as a matter of fact I don`t even think deer. So far I have not seen a yote in front of them but lots of Swampers. When I take them yote hunting I have Quick Track collars on them just in case they do hit a yote and leave the section, which I`m sure is going to happen.
I also have 8 other hounds I run on rabbits along with these I run on yotes. I don`t even run shock collars on most of my hounds. When you run your hounds as much as I run mine you know what they are doing.
Come Run