hare hunt this fall

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

main event`s beagles

hare hunt this fall

Post by main event`s beagles »

looking for a place to take my teenage boys on a hare hunt close to ohio as possible thanks for any help. :angel:
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S SAMMIE TO ME
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S ROXIE
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S JOE
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO
LP RCH LPBCH BIG CITY'S CREEK
LP RCH LPBCH MAIN EVENT'S KILLA MASON

big w beagles

Re: hare hunt this fall

Post by big w beagles »

I live in Ohio and I have traveled to New Hampshire and Maine to hunt hare. I have looked into hunting hare in upper New York but ran into problems with finding a place to hunt due to deer seasons. In New York, the people I talked to wanted hare hunters to come later in the season after deer season. I did not want to go later in the year due to potential bad weather. I don't know anything about Michigan hare hunts but I know they do have hare. If your interested in going to New England to hunt, I can give you a couple names that I have hunted with. They are professional guides so it will cost you. My son and I have met a guy that invites us up every year and it cost us just minimum expenses. It's a blast hunting hare in Maine.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Second the Maine recommedation...awesome hunt!!

44magman

Post by 44magman »

I live in southern maine and can put you into places to run . the hare population is much better in northern maine but we run all winter in southern maine we just don't shoot many. October skip November then December through march is open for hunting . you can hunt hare in November but I would not do it in the southern part of the state for all the deer hunters but we run on sundays during the mounth of November.just cant hunt on sundays.

BradWV

Post by BradWV »

WV

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

We are supposed to go with some friends on Dolly Sods in the fall....going to see if we can run a WV hare.

How is the population? We don't care if we kill any at all, just want to run a couple.

Pine Ridge Beagles

Post by Pine Ridge Beagles »

I go to the UP every year,its would not be a bad trip for you. I live in central Pa and its a haul,but worth every minute. Good friends,lots of hare,no wives for 10 days.Al

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

My Grandparents came to the upper Midwest from East Bank, WV.
Be fun to go there and see if I have any kin left and be able to run hounds as well.

Anyone near East Bank in Kanawha County?
What is that area like, mountains?

main event`s beagles

thanks for the feedback
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO

Remmy

Post by Remmy »

Pa has a short season and lower populations than further north, but is close to OH.
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I have friends in Maine,New Hampshire and Vermont that I go up and hare hunt with in October.There are hare in all three states and it holds true that the further north you go in any of those states the better the hare population is and the more country you have to hunt in.
Maine is undoubtbly the best as we find the population good and the top third of Maine is a huge block of almost wilderness with unlimited places to hunt.Coos county [very top of the state along the Canadian border ] in New Hampshire has a good amount of hare and lots of timber company land open to hunting.It's a popular spot for beaglers so you might run into some others.Lots of bird hunters hunt that area too.It's a big area so you shouldn't have any problems figuring where to turn out.Just be aware that not every place that looks good is good! I've hunted around the Connecticut Lakes area for the past 20 years and we've got some honey holes that always have hare.The farther off the beaten path you get the better it gets.
My buddy Dan has a camp in northern Vermont and I love going up there with him as it's beautiful country.But,last fall I was surprised to see so much posted land and we struggled somewhat to jump a lot of hare.We ran hare everyday but definetly not the population of Maine or New Hampshire.I'd say Vermont has a lot less open huntable land.
I always try to co-ordinate my hunting in these states to miss the moose seasons.Moose hunting is a big deal in the north country and there are a lot of road hunters riding around in the back country looking for one.
I would never intentionally schedule my rabbit hunting trips during the deer season BUT,if it couldn't be helped in all honesty I myself wouldn't worry about it too much.
Especially in Maine or New Hampshire.You are talking about literally hundreds upon hundreds of square miles of uninhabited thick/deep forests where you can run and there's plenty of room for everyone.Most of the places where we find thick hare and run are not the kind of spots that the deer hunters would hunt anyways.We stay down low in the beaver swamps and cedar bogs mostly and the deer hunters usually are up on the hard wood ridges where the beechnuts are.
I love hunting the north country!! Many times we'll hunt all week and never hear another dog or even see another human being.And the runs! Oh,Lord the runs!
I'd say that most of the hare we run have never been chased by a beagle before.
Hope you enjoy your trip and if you see a pick-up with Tn. plates and a dog box parked off in the back country that'll be me!
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

We had an enjoyable hunt 3 years ago in New Hampshire but nothing compared to our Maine hunts of the last couple years. We were in the Jefferson and Berlin areas in New hampshire. Plenty of areas to hunt. But Maine seems at least in my limited experience has more hare. But again, this is based on my limited experience in New Hampshire.
We were hunting hare in Maine last moose season, but had no negative experiences with moose hunters. We will be hunting hare the last 2 weeks of October this coming season in Maine. We will be tent camping, so if you see a couple dirty, grubby guys with Ohio plates, it may will be me and my oldest son. It's a great life being in Maine in the fall!

main event`s beagles

my sons want to shoot a hare. I just wanna run dogs and get a shot at one.
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

it would be helpful to have gps for the dogs and I also carried a backtracker as a back-up precaution for myself.

big mike 50

Post by big mike 50 »

If you are looking for a short trip you really don't have to go much more than 3 hours into Michigan to get hare. I don't know where you live but if you were in northern Ohio you could do a day trip to the north central lower peninsula and put a hare in front of the boys
When the tailgate drops the bull$#!t stops