Best dog you have seen run???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

SMITTY1233

Re: Best dog you have seen run???

Post by SMITTY1233 »

Stine Time Ivy Owned by Roy Munro

Hands down best gun dog I've ever seen. I owned Shadycreek Boogity Boogity trained him from a pup and watched Jr's Chilli dog run hundreds of times. They could dominate a pack of dogs with the best of them but even they had their faults at times and Ivy would cut them in half from the middle of the pack. Ivy was a smooth, big nosed, line running, Bunny jumping machine. Dropped her in -20 degrees on two week old snow in the Northern Lower after trying to run hare all morning with other hounds that simply couldn't do it. She run the hare for two hours non stop in a tracked up swamp. I never owned her but hunted with her frequently. Never a day she simply couldn't run a rabbit. A lot of guys will say conditions don't matter but I've seen very few where that was true. Ivy was one of those hounds. I'd hear about the latest craze in the trailing scene and I always made it appoint to get out there and check it out because I compared them all to one dog and that was Ivy. I had a dog win his first two AKC Midwest trials he was ever put in and he was an exceptional beagle but couldn't hold a candle to Ivy in hunting conditions or in a pack of dogs. Ivy made every dog she ever ran with instantly better in a pack. Handled like a lab. RIP Ivy...

Another favorite of mine was HOF Nat's Tom Boy owned by Skip Ray

Dog was just want I always wanted in a hunting dog. Level headed line running machine. Awesome to watch him run a rabbit. Smooth and check hound supreme. Could do it all...
hounds... hare.... hunter.... bang... what gets better than that.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

The best ones I have seen were as rabbitearl said, mixed up dogs. leggy types. Pointer for open areas and Setter for thick stuff. Part Cocker Spaniel was also good for thick stuff.

Best AKC was a mostly Indian Hills female that would usually run down catch the first one or two you jumped without a single loss and lead a pack every where they went. She had a very loud screaming siren type mouth, very unusual, heard above all the others in a pack and everyone loved her.

Best ARHA was a female Grand named Vests Lacy and we all still miss her. She did whatever it took to dominate!!!

Double E Kennels

Post by Double E Kennels »

Well being that #2 - #10 are all alternates to the #1 , I will just give you the 2 best excluding the ones I have owned.

My #1 female would be FC Hard Times Hattie owned Mr Donnie Campbell. This Blk and Tan 15" female could Fly!! Saw her front a pack of hounds 40-50 yrds driving the line as hard as she could. This was back in 2002 or 2003. I tried to buy her that day but Donnie wouldnt sell her. I did buy her half sister which was a good one too.

#1 male Would be FC Stubbs Maple Hill Chief- Owned by Joe and Daniel Truxillo of Walker , La . This hound was a full 15" and had perfect conformation. Clean with his mouth and fast with his feet. He was my biggest competition when I was running Mack in the Southern large Pack, seem it was him, FC Double E stone Cold Mack or FC JWs Lightning in the 1st and 2nd spot every trial in the big male class. I have seen a lot of Big males come out of the North but none that could run with the speed and authority of Chief on the a cottontail/Swamper and then transition to go run in the AKC LP Nationals and place in the top 5 without being conditioned on hare prior to the trial.
Last edited by Double E Kennels on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP---
AKC FCLP, ARHA GrRch , UKC HB Double E Stone Cold Mack
ARHA GrRch Double E Peaches & Cream
ARHA Dual Ch Double E Barbie
AKC FC JW's Lightning
Nr AHRA Dual CH Double E Gambler

RAD

Post by RAD »

Stewarts Pine Mt VooDoo. Super glue required.
TRI STATE BEAGLES
EDDIE FREDERICK

No Fear In Their Eyes
No Quit In Their Hearts
No Respect For Their Own Body
(PMB)

Tuff-E-Nuff

Post by Tuff-E-Nuff »

RAD wrote:Stewarts Pine Mt VooDoo. Super glue required.
Eddie, have to agree Voo was one nice hound, judged him many times :check:
Tuff-E-Nuff Beagles
Silas/Tracy Damron
FCLP Salem's Willy Nelson
GR R.CH Tuff-E-Nuff Annie
HOF Gr.RCh/GrB.Ch Tuff-E-Nuff Charm
Harrogate. TN.

eddywilliams

Post by eddywilliams »

I have to say I have witnessed alot of nice hounds over the years owned by Dell Gerstenberger ,Tony Eyers , Adam Seger ,Denny Dugan, Branko , Bob King ...... too many to name I own 1 of the best in my eyes in IFC Beaver creek Kickaz .I have to say Arlie Thompsons Patience gyp a 13 in Shaker Striker bred gyp is something ,I witnessed her dominate and flat out own quite afew packs in the mid west not to count all the times at home watching her she is something .
RABBIT RIDGE KENNELS :
HOME OF:
IFC BEAVER CREEKS KICK AZ
FCGD THOMPSONS TRY MY PATIENCE
OUTBACK MATILDA
RABBIT RIDGE ONE TUFF AZ KICKER
RABBIT RIDGE PARIS
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

Chimney Rock Kennel

Post by Chimney Rock Kennel »

Chimney Rocks Ky Lucky the best I've seen and still doing it 3-4 days a week!
Home of

NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Bad Moon Rising
FCGD LPRCH Chimney Rock's KY Lucky
NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Shooting Star

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Ive been rabbit hunting over 30 yrs, had alot of decent dogs, the all time best was a little female ,grade dog, I know she had a little branko in her, the rest who knows, ran a rabbit like she was tied to it, never barkred out of place, or in kennel, ran her 3 to 4 times a week, got better or dtronger ad she went. Tons of grit, no trash, from old man joe macfarlend in nj, I think he sold her to anthony from bellmores beagles in ny, I know he enjoyed her

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Blue Banks Moon Pie
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

Dan Johnson

Post by Dan Johnson »

FCLP FCGD Plover River Allie-Gator. 2012 Better Beagling HOY, 2011 & 2012 Northern Michigan HOY. Her two sisters FCLP Plover River Killer Bee and FCGD Plover River Molly are just about as good.
PLOVER RIVER BEAGLES
715-610-4168

TallPaul

Post by TallPaul »

Dan, you've really have some females that can get it done. Saw one of your future pup last night, keep the black paint on hand.

Paul
Beagling is not a science, just an opinion!

TallPaul

Post by TallPaul »

SIR Point Dexter, Welch's Good Buddy,

liked FC Farrier's wangler,
Beagling is not a science, just an opinion!

cmdawson5

Post by cmdawson5 »

ive only been in to hunting beagles for a couple of years but when jessie smith took me to watch blue bud run i had a great time with him and lowell plus got to watch blue bud run with two younger males that ran tough and bud didnt care didnt even know or care the other two males were there running

Pine Mt Beagles

Post by Pine Mt Beagles »

Hey Ed,,and Silas
Thanks for Remembering Ole Voo-Doo,,,,

Made a lot of good memories ,,following that Ole Hound,,

Saw him get Snake Bit and was still getting Checks When we finally Caught him leg swelled really bad.

He cut one of his front toes over half off one morning,,caught him filled it with Super Glue,Put him in the box a Dark.

He split an Ear one Morning ,you could pull it apart ad look through it,,Super Glue,,,never missed a Lick.

That ole Hound Run from Daylight Until After Dark ,,Not once a Week But,,,every ,Day in the Week 3 and 4 weeks before resting,,,All on these mountain mining pits ,Black Berry,and Multi Floral Rose Bushes,
Ears stuck out like wings tail bare,,eyes beat out,,
He just would Not Quit,
Some dogs are great Jump Dogs
Some dogs Are great Track Running Dogs,
Some Have Exceptional Hunt
Add A great Mouth
And DEAD GAME NO QUIT and you have a better than average Rabbit dog.

Faults,,,Yes he had'em ,,,,,but,,,,,Only Two or Three Men Could Ever Find'em.

No,,not Cold trailing
No not back tracking
Handled Exceptional

He Did Run Fox Once ,,,,,But,,,Man did he RUN IT RIGHT ,,,Didn't He. ,,,,Tuff -E-Nuff. :lol:

Thanks Guy's
Keep'em Running

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Dutchman..he could outrun and keep the line on any dog.