Curiosity is Up

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Ole Mule

Curiosity is Up

Post by Ole Mule »

Is there a difference in a show beagle, a hunting beagle, and a field trail beagle. If you were going to gun hunt only which would you choose to acquire a pup from.
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

Moore Beagles

Re: Curiosity is Up

Post by Moore Beagles »

Is There a Difference ? Absolutely.
I would go watch some dogs run, and look to get a Gundog out of proven Stock from guys that do alot of rabbit hunting. Then look to buy a started dog or a couple pups out of a proven cross they may have.
You want a Beagle that will Jump and Circle a rabbit. You dont need papers for that... If you you want a Field Trial Dog or Show Dog thats different, but the way you posed the Question was simply to hunt rabbits....
You dont want to spend too much, because alot of things could happen to a Gundog in the Hunting woods.
A top Bred Trial Dog or Show Dog may cost ya 3 times what you could get a Gundog for...
I'll keep My GOD, MY Freedom, My Guns, and My Money! You can keep the "CHANGE".

The Rich and Poor have a common bond, The LORD is the maker of them all. Proverbs 22:2

Blessed by the Best

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Old Mule, a field trial beagle and a hunting beagle are often one and the same. Give me a hound that consistently places and /or is a field champion and I am pretty sure they will give a good account of themselves as a hunting beagle, I do understand that not all field champions are created equal, but in general they will give a good account of themselves.

barnold1

Post by barnold1 »

gwyoung wrote:Old Mule, a field trial beagle and a hunting beagle are often one and the same. Give me a hound that consistently places and /or is a field champion and I am pretty sure they will give a good account of themselves as a hunting beagle, I do understand that not all field champions are created equal, but in general they will give a good account of themselves.
:check:
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

In all seriousness, a lot of these "good" field trial dogs are not good rabbit dogs.
Speed, speed, and more speed. Less nose too, and a lack for jumping a rabbit!

There are always exceptions.

Before breeding to a stud or purchasing a pup go watch them run!!
;)

mooredog

Post by mooredog »

There are a lot of old grade dogs chained up behind some good ole boys house that will smoke a rabbit ! i have seen a few dogs that were not even beagles that could burn up a rabbit. if fancy Titles and papers mean any thing too ya it will cost you more. if you just want a meat dog go watch some grade dogs get after it. my Daddy had grade dogs and only took them out during hunting season and he killed a ton of bunnies. that's why he had us boys along to tote rabbits.
Good Luck !
Paul Moore
http://www.moorebeagles.com
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

Which ever one can run the fastest with the least amount of losses, then I would take it to a field trial.
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

gwyoung wrote:Old Mule, a field trial beagle and a hunting beagle are often one and the same. Give me a hound that consistently places and /or is a field champion and I am pretty sure they will give a good account of themselves as a hunting beagle, I do understand that not all field champions are created equal, but in general they will give a good account of themselves.
Very well worded. :check:

OM, all of what everybody has said is true. I've hunt with the same hounds I trial and show on bench. I know guys who trial dogs, but also keep straight gun dogs. I've seen grade dogs that were awesome. I don't know of to many hunting show dogs? If I recall correct though "Indian Hill Major" was actually a show dog first, then entered, placed in field trials. That hound has a ton of history and is in many peds today.

Main thing run what ya want, feed what ya like.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

pcable

Post by pcable »

I have to agree, alot of truth in what everyone has said. All of my dogs have a lot of red on their pedigrees but the reason they are still here is their abilty in the field. I don't have any champions in my kennels but I haven't trialed any of them either. Ability in the field is where it is. If you are looking to buy a pup or breed to a stud, go watch that stud or the parents of the pup run to see if that is what you like. There's alot of different running styles and not one of them suits everyone. Find the one that suits you because you're the one that's gonna feed and hunt with them!
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

C Clark

Post by C Clark »

I have to agree with most of what everyone has said I have papered dogs but that doesnt mean they are field trial dogs i do field trial some but my dogs have to prove there self in the field first. To me papers allow me to know what my dogs came from i can look back for many years and see what they should be able to do i know there are some great grade dogs that can burn a rabbit up and i grew up wathching some great grade dogs and that is what makes me want to keep going in this great sport of rabbit hunting to me they dont mean anything to a dog i just know that i can look back at there ped and see what they came from and know what I like but you still have to find the style that makes you happy bottom line is your dog has to make you happy in what ever they do show field trial or just brining it back to the gun

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Moore Beagles wrote:Is There a Difference ? Absolutely.
I would go watch some dogs run, and look to get a Gundog out of proven Stock from guys that do alot of rabbit hunting. Then look to buy a started dog or a couple pups out of a proven cross they may have.
You want a Beagle that will Jump and Circle a rabbit. You dont need papers for that... If you you want a Field Trial Dog or Show Dog thats different, but the way you posed the Question was simply to hunt rabbits....
You dont want to spend too much, because alot of things could happen to a Gundog in the Hunting woods.
A top Bred Trial Dog or Show Dog may cost ya 3 times what you could get a Gundog for...
But we all know you got show dogs that hunt ! ;)
TheJohnBirchSociety

mooredog

Post by mooredog »

littlewoody wrote:
Moore Beagles wrote:Is There a Difference ? Absolutely.
But we all know you got show dogs that hunt ! ;)
Hey LittleWoody if you get down around Cincinnati or Northeren KY give us a shout we will cut'em loose. or head up to the McVay Hunt in September you can watch'em run there. Always a GOOD TIME !!
Paul Moore
http://www.moorebeagles.com
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

transman63

Post by transman63 »

AJ'S KENNEL'S .

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

I've seen some dogs that were in trails I wouldn't own. Watching them stand at your feet till someone else jumps the rabbit, and they join in isn't a hound a keep. Me too hounds don't cut it for me.

Blue Chaser

Post by Blue Chaser »

To me a trial dog and a hunting dog are pretty much the same. The only difference is what happens at the end of the chase...one ends with a bang. Granted, you'll have trial dogs wait for a jump but then I've also seen grade dogs used for hunting do the same thing while their owner stomps the brush. In formats where jump and strike points are awarded I would think a dogs jumping ability would be accounted for. Of course everything goes out the window with the different styles of dogs in the various formats. For instance, brace dogs have trials but you couldn't pay me enough to hunt with one of those things. Now, you give me an ARHA lp champion and chances are that dog is gonna have no problem bringing a rabbit to the gun.