ADVICE FOR CATCHING WILD RABBITS

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

TVE1998

ADVICE FOR CATCHING WILD RABBITS

Post by TVE1998 »

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO TRAP SOME WILD RABBITS NOW FOR ABOUT A MONTH TO PUT IN MY STARTING PEN. I HAVE BEEN USING A STEEL LIVE TRAP WITH APPLE FOR BAIT. THE ONLY THING I SEEM TO CATCH ARE SQUIRRELS AND I BELIEVE THE CHIP MUNKS GET MY BAIT AS SOON AS I PUT IT OUT .I HAVE HEARD THEY DON'T LIKE THE STEEL TRAPS, BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I COULD FIND A WOODEN ONE. ALSO IF ANY ONE KNOWS WHERE I COULD GET SOME TAME ONES IN NORTH EAST PA I WOULD BE INTERESTED AS WELL.
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED
THANKS

BCBeagles

Re: ADVICE FOR CATCHING WILD RABBITS

Post by BCBeagles »

Byrne Fencing.com has nice traps that would probably be more effective than the open traps like you are using.

I had minimal success at best with using the open traps, went to a wood trap, triangular, and made it alot easier.

Good luck!!

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

The Missouri DNR web site has plans for a wood live trap. They are quite easy to make if you have access to wood and a few tools.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

TVE1998

Post by TVE1998 »

THANKS GUYS I WILL CHECK THESE SITES OUT

WTV

Post by WTV »

TVE
Go to Rabbitdogs.net, look under the Tailgate section, then go to Octagon Traps on May 10, 2014, and see my post on the Cheese Wheel Trap. I listed the directions on how to build and added pictures. I have received multiple feedback from that post and people are catching rabbits all over the country. I bait with "yellow delicious apples" from Foodlion with great success year round. Most states will allow you to catch and release nuisance rabbits out of season. Check your local laws.
Good Luck!!!!!
WTV

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Don t give up.It took me 7 years to learn how to catch rabbits in the old wood boxes.Check an see if its unlawful or not to trap rabbits now.Here in NC you cannot trap rabbit when hunting season is not in. Never trap in the summer cause don t need the rabbits now, and I would be unease about trapping a mom rabbit now anyway. To me once you ever master the old wood box.You just can t beat them.Easy to make is one thing. 8 min and I and done with the trap. Another thing is I don t used any bait. I found out along time ago.rabbits don t go in there to eat. this fall when the weather starts getting cold.you get them old boxes out and just don t give up.Keep trying out something different until u start catching.It might take along time but once you master it you will have all the rabbits you want..Good Luck.

TVE1998

Post by TVE1998 »

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES,
I'M SURE YOUR RIGHT ABOUT IT BEING ILLEGAL TO TRAP WILD RABBITS RIGHT KNOW. MY PUP IS ONLY TWO MONTHS OLD NOW AND WONT BE READY FOR THAT TILL FALL ANYWAYS. AT THIS POINT I'M GOING TO GET SOME TAME RABBITS TO STOCK MY RUNNING PEN FOR THE OLDER DOGS. I WILL GET SOME TRAPS BUILT FOR THEM THIS SUMMER AND GIVE IT ANOTHER CHANCE IN THE FALL.
THANKS AGAIN

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Not to rain on your parade, but tame rabbits will not hold up under older dogs. They just don't have enough stamina. I'd save the tame ones for your pup in another month or two. JMHO.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

didion419

Post by didion419 »

rabbitearl how do you make your traps