Mike Capozzi has passed away

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Chris Hornick

Mike Capozzi has passed away

Post by Chris Hornick »

Michael Capozzi passed away June 11, 2014. Mike was a long-time beagler in the Adirondacks, known to many as the man who worked with Willet Randall in his final years and to whom Willet entrusted the Patch Kennel and hounds to after his passing. Mike was an amazing man and I am privileged to have called him my friend.

Mike was born in Clintondale, New York and was a member of the Mid-Hudson Beagle Club. He served in the US Army. In February 1964, Mike and a friend of his, made the journey to North Creek to purchase a Patch Hound direct from Willet. Willet and Mike hit it off and soon became the best of friends. Mike would run hounds with Willet and several other notable houndsman of the time such as Harry Morse, Ray Libby and others. Mike gave up his job at Duchess Bank and moved permanently to the Adirondacks and Willet helped him find the place he lived the rest of his life. He would condition hounds for Willet and also trial them. Mike spent many long days and nights in the Adirondack swamps and meadows following the hounds. Willet officially passed the AKC Registered Kennel over to Mike in 1967. In Willet’s writings he referred to him as “Wild Mike” and the two developed a bond that lasted until Willet’s death in 1970. Mike was also an officer at the Upper Hudson Beagle Club.

In the late 60’s and early 70’s, Mike trialed quite a bit in the Large Pack circuit, finishing FC Mountain Rocket and placing several other hounds but Mike loved pleasure running and hunting hare the most. Mike continued the Patch Kennel for 47 years and sold hounds throughout the country. Mike stayed true to his beliefs and was never influenced by the fad of the time. He bred sound, hunting beagles that could push a hare and were also built correctly to withstand the rigors of daily hunting in the North Country.

Mike loved his family above all. Edna, his children, and his grandchildren came first and as we shared the love of the hounds, he always made sure I was keeping my family first as well. Mike also was an avid gardener and an extremely talented artist.

I could not have had a better mentor in the hounds. He was always willing to answer any questions I had and was eager to hear how the hounds I had were progressing. Mike always had an interest in the litters I was planning and I ran every cross I made through him often sending him a pedigree of the proposed cross. Mike was very knowledgeable of pedigrees and hounds of the past.

In the early 2000’s, Mike asked me that when the time came, to promise him I would carry on with the hounds, a promise he had made to Willet that the kennel must continue. I was honored and humbled. In 2011, I became partners in the kennel but Mike still held the reins. Mike bred his last litter in 2013 and loved those hounds and pups.

I always had a great respect for Mike but didn’t realize how many others shared that respect until our partnership. People from all over contacted me, sharing stories of Mike and unilaterally all held that same admiration and high esteem. The beagling world has lost one of its greatest. Mike was a true gentleman, a great houndsman, and a dear friend. I will be forever grateful that he touched my life.

Survivors include Edna his loving wife of 41 years. His children: Mary Peace and her husband, Major, Tobia Capozzi and his wife, Holly, and Michael Capozzi and his wife, Karen; also eight grandchildren, Isaiah, Gabriel, Keara, Angelo, Roman, Kacey, Samantha and Rocco.

Contributions in Mike’s memory may be directed to C.R. Wood Cancer Center at Glens Falls Hospital, 102 Park St., Glens Falls, NY 12801; or to Indian Lake Volunteer Ambulance Corps, P.O. Box 39, Indian Lake, NY 12842

Swampman

Re: Mike Capozzi has passed away

Post by Swampman »

I never met Mike in person, he invited me but regret that I let a snow storm last winter get in the way when I was only a couple hours away on business.
Conversed with him on the phone and he was a true gentleman.
My sincere condolences to his family and to you Chris.

dismalswampbeagles

Post by dismalswampbeagles »

What a lost the beagle world has suffered. So sorry to hear this personally. I went up to the kennels some 25 years ago. Bought a couple of pups that day. Had fun spending time and talking with Mike. He really had a passion for his hounds. Really going to be missed.

Justin Hatton

John-PA

Post by John-PA »

Sorry to hear that Chris, I know he was a close friend of yours.

Will05

Post by Will05 »

Sorry for your loss Chris
Wsullivan777@gmail.com
Home of :
Sullivan's Sadie MaePatch
Sullivan's MollyPatch

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

i met him once back in the 80's. nice guy.

Bigboy kennel

Post by Bigboy kennel »

MY CONDOLANCES To the Capozzi family and to you Chris
Phil Walls Jr

Ken Yerian

Post by Ken Yerian »

I hope that Mike is running his dogs with Willet in heaven Now. The first patch hounds that I ever ran with came from his kennels and they were both Black , White and Tan and they were rabbit dogs. . this was back in the early 70's. I was never sure why everyone assumes that if you have a lemon beagle it has to be a patch hound. The first lemon or red dogs that I owned or saw back in the 60's were either weir creek, fish creek or warfield reds. The ones I have owned in the last 20 years either go back to spur or shaker. Any way it is great that Mike kept Willet's work alive and I'm glad that he has passed the torch on so that future generations may enjoy them. Best wishes to all.
Ken Yerian
Burr Oak Beagles