Problem with a dog that digs...

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bigcfromrbc

Problem with a dog that digs...

Post by bigcfromrbc »

I've got a three stall kennel that's on the ground, and the only one that digs a lot is my bluetick male. He digs all the time. It's insane really. He'll dig to the middle kennel to the dog in it can come onto his side. He never leaves his side. I'm think he's some how lonely, and wants a buddy in the same kennel with him? I'm half tempted to tie him out for a while to see if that helps any. Also all my dogs are chained inside the kennel just in case he digs a hole and sneaks off.

Alabama John

Re: Problem with a dog that digs...

Post by Alabama John »

Put him in an outside kennel instead of the middle one. Only have one side to worry about.

Digging in the middle of a dirt kennel is common this time of year due to boredom or moles being in the kennel and the dog digging trying to get them. Dogs love eating moles.

Try putting a piece of plywood up on two high cement blocks for him to get under and he'll dig a big hole to lay in under the plywood. Easy to control ticks, mosquitoes and fleas too as all you have to do is throw some DE in the hole where he lays and he'll get it all over him.

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

Keep his toe nails trimmed good.If they are trimmed close it doesn't take much digging and they start to get sore and they quit.My dogs are worse for it in the summer if I forget and let their nails grow.

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

He's in the outside kennel already. He dug a real big hole this morning under concrete blocks for the dog in the middle to get to his side. I'll try getting a piece of plywood. He's got a ton of shade already. He just digs every where. It's real annoying.

nhharris78

Post by nhharris78 »

Never had this problem but wonder if u could throw a piece if chainlink fence down in the center? That should stop him. Just an idea
Nate Harris
Shultz Creek Kennel
FCGD Skeeter Creek's Ruby Lou
FCGD Smith's Stormin Ida
NRFC Shultz Creeks Hillbilly Gauge

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

He's dug so much I need to fill it in lol I should have named him Digger or Gopher. I thought about doing that, and will probably have to resort to that. Think chicken wire would work just as good? Chain link is a bit expensive lol

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

In my opinion, this has to do with some anxieties the dog has. Only way I have seen to correct habits of anxiety is to run them as much as possible to exercise them physically and mentally. Keep them in situations they are stimulated.

It has worked on a few I have had in the past, but not all. Just like peeing or pooping in a dog house, peeing in water pan, dumping water pan, kennel barking, etc. These are examples of what I consider to be faults that usually make them have to live somewhere else....Not saying this is what you should do, but this is what I do with mine.Not saying it will fix it, but gives them less down time to "think" about there habit.....good luck!

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

BCBeagles wrote:In my opinion, this has to do with some anxieties the dog has. Only way I have seen to correct habits of anxiety is to run them as much as possible to exercise them physically and mentally. Keep them in situations they are stimulated.

It has worked on a few I have had in the past, but not all. Just like peeing or pooping in a dog house, peeing in water pan, dumping water pan, kennel barking, etc. These are examples of what I consider to be faults that usually make them have to live somewhere else....Not saying this is what you should do, but this is what I do with mine.Not saying it will fix it, but gives them less down time to "think" about there habit.....good luck!
I have noticed he's always the most eager to head out. Not only that he's just a year old. He's a pup in my book. Maybe just letting him run around in the yard a bit everyday will help out. I'll give it a try.

875x

Post by 875x »

Dig a tench around the edge of his pen and put about three inchs of contcrete that will stop them from digging under the edge and getting out I have a digger too that stopped him from tunneling out he will still dig in the pen though I think he does it just to mess with me.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

The air temp has been in the 90's, the heat index up to 104F here.
The ground temp is in the mid 50's, it's hot, they are dogs.

Mine had started to dig till I got the shade screen cloth out and stretched it over the outside kennels. The anxiety of heat stroke has been greatly relieved.
Now for irritation, I do have a couple of culls that have lately reminded me they like to sit in the water trough in hot weather. I use to really get mad at them for spilling the water, but now I think they look pretty cool while I'm out weed eating wringing wet with sweat and thinking to myself,"I should have made that trough bigger". :lol:

I think alot of the problems are, we put hounds in unnatural environments with limited space & choices, then become upset when they try to work out what their instincts tell them in this fake environment. We want them to act as perfect ladies and gentlemen all within the limited space and time we can afford them. As unpopular as it's reflection, I feel we are at fault or to blame for many of the perceived shortcomings in our hounds... and any weakened with limited intelligence, their shortcomings are greatly magnified. :blackeye:

Another problem that's risen lately and may also be a contributor is the yard rabbits. I've had a number of kennel escapes due to the boldness of the rabbits coming near the kennels to nest and feed. Kennel panel ties broken, holes dug and one has taken to climbing the 6' wire and baling over to get in a quick chase before being recaptured. She sits in a jail cell now for her own good as the fear of a rear leg caught in wire being pulled from socket is not taken lightly.
You see, alot of the problem is, "we look at what can make our lives easier with hounds instead of, what can make hounds lives better so they're easier to live with". jmho

Westridge Beagles

Post by Westridge Beagles »

S.R.Patch wrote:The air temp has been in the 90's, the heat index up to 104F here.
The ground temp is in the mid 50's, it's hot, they are dogs.

Mine had started to dig till I got the shade screen cloth out and stretched it over the outside kennels. The anxiety of heat stroke has been greatly relieved.
Now for irritation, I do have a couple of culls that have lately reminded me they like to sit in the water trough in hot weather. I use to really get mad at them for spilling the water, but now I think they look pretty cool while I'm out weed eating wringing wet with sweat and thinking to myself,"I should have made that trough bigger". :lol:

I think alot of the problems are, we put hounds in unnatural environments with limited space & choices, then become upset when they try to work out what their instincts tell them in this fake environment. We want them to act as perfect ladies and gentlemen all within the limited space and time we can afford them. As unpopular as it's reflection, I feel we are at fault or to blame for many of the perceived shortcomings in our hounds... and any weakened with limited intelligence, their shortcomings are greatly magnified. :blackeye:

Another problem that's risen lately and may also be a contributor is the yard rabbits. I've had a number of kennel escapes due to the boldness of the rabbits coming near the kennels to nest and feed. Kennel panel ties broken, holes dug and one has taken to climbing the 6' wire and baling over to get in a quick chase before being recaptured. She sits in a jail cell now for her own good as the fear of a rear leg caught in wire being pulled from socket is not taken lightly.
You see, alot of the problem is, "we look at what can make our lives easier with hounds instead of, what can make hounds lives better so they're easier to live with". jmho
Great post and I agree!
Westridge Beagles
Owners: Larry Hensley / Jason Osborne
YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC44gTz ... g/featured

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

I had one that would dig for big white grub worms. I really think he could smell them before he started to dig. If they dug under a fence I have just buried concrete blocks, bricks or big rocks back in the holes and covered with dirt.
Where's the earth shattering kaboom ?

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

Well I put some blocks where he dug, and he dug further under it till a smaller beagler could get to him. He's a beast in size lol I'm going to try walking him, and I know they are going to dig to get cooler. Thing is he's dug several inches below the ground level of the kennel. I really need to fill it in. He just goes deeper and deeper. He's got more shade now so I hope that will help him. He's always got plenty of water. I water my hounds twice a day.

No yard rabbits were I live. I live inside a real small town, and my neighbor has probably ten cats at least.

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

I believe it is a combination of anxiety and air temp. Mine did a littler more when temp goes up to get to cool ground usually under dog house or something of that nature. The other thing that will make them did anytime of year orther than frozen ground is lack of time in woods the get anxious and have to burn the enegy best way they can. I think it is alot like cabinfever for them.
Tom

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

I'm going to go walking later, and maybe that will make a change if I do it every day. I need to get him use to being on a leash anyways.