Most dominating performance you have witnessed??

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

WELLS WOODS

Re: Most dominating performance you have witnessed??

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Forgot to mention IFC Cedar Beck Oliver. I've never seen him run , but have heard judges rave about him. He is loaded with linebred well known northern Michigan FC's on his dam's side and a lot of Heli-Prop & Pacesetter blood from Gator not to mention Amazing Grace fairly close & he seems to be producing out of this world according to the Mid-West & Northern MI trial results I've seen.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

NeilKimbrel7

Post by NeilKimbrel7 »

Sitting around thinking about some dominating performances I've witnessed, there are a few that come to mind. I'm going to limit my examples to dogs owned by other people and the performance had to be in a trial setting.
In no particular order.

1. Mapple valley remember jimbo at the arha world hunt a couple years ago. Won the cast with 370 pts. I think the second place dog had 130. Jimbo seemed to always work the check in the right direction and when he got it he held onto for pretty good distances. Those dogs ran us all over tire pit.

2. Rocky owned by Joe Brown. It was at a performance pack hunt. He was easily the most dominant dog for the better part of 30 min. After which he pretty much solo'd the last half hour. Good lock on. A little on the edge for PP but when you're running all the track you're taking all the chances.

3. Chubby checkers. It was at the pp world hunt a couple years ago. I had to run against him with one of my little females. I remember it was a little warm. 3 times we cut loose and 3 times chubby had dust flying coming off the lead. He probably had a rabbit jumped in 30 seconds ever time. Very impressive hunt and jump ability. The dogs pounded pretty good. Chubby got picked up, but that didn't make me think any less of him.

4.BigTime. it was at a Midwest trial in Albion. It was the winners pack. What stood out in my mind was seeing him put on a clinic on a day I didn't think my kane dog could be beat. I felt like I had the best dog at the hunt the first two rounds and for an hr in the winners pack I was hoping for a check. He was locked on and rolling. There were other good dogs in the cast, but he really stuck out above the rest to me.

5. Da'mans Lady luck-pretty much every trial I saw her in I thought she dominated. Jumped almost every rabbit. Big nose. Fast foot. When I ran her for joe in Iowa she was basically the only dog that could smell a rabbit in the first round. Then in the second series after the first pack ran for awhile we had a line and they tried to put the hounds on it. They never smelt it. Judges said handle the pack and we turned pack two loose. Lady went in where we saw the rabbit and worked up the track about 30 yards before she opened. When she did the race was on. Lady made the winners pack that day. Those big bitches ran pretty good. After the first rabbit I felt lady was a top two dog. I knew I needed a cut to be made. After the first race ended by the rabbit being caught the judges decided they ran so well they were going to leave all 9 down. It hurt lady because I was dividing her run time at home with kane whom I was trialling pretty hard at the time. A dog that runs that hard needed more of my time to last. She started fade and was picked up 8th. I knew she was about to get the axe when they picked her up, but as a gun hunter I couldn't help but remember her efforts that day. She was pretty much the sole reason we had any running for two series.
HOF LPGRCH GRPCH FCGD Kimbrel's Kickem Up Kane
Kimbrel's Flyby Foxy lady
Kimbrel’s Rock
Peeple’s Naughty Girl

BAOTB

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Nice post! I know your Kane dog is bad news also!
Last edited by WELLS WOODS on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

I guess I'll toot my own horn again. Prime Time was the most dominating hound I've ever owned. He was a blast to trial. He could handle the track about as fast as he could move if scent was decent & he was built to fly! I bought him from Brent Gay when he was almost 6 years old & he had never been in a trial. The first trial I ran him in the pack hit a rabbit & it went almost out of hearing ; they had a short check & you could gradually hear them coming back & getting closer ; finally we saw the rabbit cross the path from out of the woods. The judges were on horses & here came Prime Time by himself right on the track chopping every breath. He was about 50 yards in front of the pack ; the judges were behind him & the rest of the pack were behind the judges! He was a great check hound too; exploded out of the check with smooth control. He impressed a lot of people that saw him run at the trials & there were several top notch bitches brought to him to breed; several FC's. He had his off days too like any hound. He had to be ran a lot to keep him sharp. I ran him probably every other day between trials for a year. He finished with 3 wins & 3 2nd's under different judges every time within a year from when I got him. Enjoy the good ones when you get one because they don't come around very often.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

I saw FC Indian Hills Nighttrain own a winners pack at Berea. He was a great hound.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

I saw prime time wear em out in the winners pack when he won at south ky. Hot as all get out and just kept comin with the rabbit. First Midwest trial I ever saw. And prime time got me hooked from that day on.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

Chimney Rock Kennel

Post by Chimney Rock Kennel »

Primetime is one hound I wished I would've gotten to see run after all he is in everything I own.
Home of

NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Bad Moon Rising
FCGD LPRCH Chimney Rock's KY Lucky
NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Shooting Star

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

WELLS WOODS wrote:Wow! I didn't know Skunk had such a famous bloodline. Cletus Shaw has always been competitive with his hounds & I remember Clarence quite well; they came down here to South Ky's Mid-West trial several times & won with Skunk one time as a matter of fact . We had a nice winners pack that year.
About Feather, she was a great hound; I'm pretty sure she was by Pacesetter, but I can't remember her dam; seems like it may have been a Jack or Ali-Baba bitch that died young. John Dewyse had several nice hounds by Pacesetter & FC Branko's Tweedy Mc Caul ( littermate to Heli- Prop); IFC Branko's Tallgrass Hank was a nice hound. Jerry Eversole also had a really nice bitch by Pacesetter & Tweedy McCaul; FWR Branko's Big Creek Diamond. The Pacesetter x FC Branko's Proper Lady Slipper cross produced Branko's Baba Louie, IFC Branko's Pacer Becky & FC Branko's Spring Kisses. There were several good females by the Pacesetter & FC Black Point Bessie cross also; Good Looking Babe, Black Squaw, & FC Holdsworth 's Little Flirt ; Flirt was FC Greenbay Wiley's granddam . My favorite, IFC Stoneyhills Tamarack, also by Pacesetter & Bessie, was an amazing talent; she had more gears & ability than most hounds I've judged. She could walk it out over sand or dirt when the others couldn't even get a whiff & when the scenting conditions improved , she would explode & lead the pack with amazing line control! She was a special hound. The Pacesetter x FC Chippewas Red Maiden cross has also produced well; I see that Red Maiden was Skunk's granddam also. Don Hoog & Chris Spencer had some awesome bitches by FC Turbo Powered By Prop (IFC Branko's Heli-Prop x FC Elk Creeks Blue Babe) & Shaw's Oakwood Calie ( Pacesetter x Red Maiden). They were FC Talkabout Callie , FC Spencer's Turbo Babe & Spencer's Autumn Breeze. They bred those three bitches to Prime Time & got several nice hounds: FC Talkabout Kellie , FC Spencer's Blue Flame, Ison's Colonel Cobalt , Spencer's Stone Cold Hemi & LP GR Tucker's Prime T Gunner to name a few.
R.B Sester also had a nice male , FC Phelp's Lil R B, by FC Indian Hills Trapper & Shaws Oakwood Sally ( a mate to Calie by Pacesetter & Red Maiden). Those Northern Michigan & Pacesetter bred hounds have really crossed well with Branko blood & other bloodlines that actually trace back to the some of the same legendary hounds several generations back.

Did anyone ever see IFC Trakarab Pacesetter , FC Black Point Bessie, IFC Branko's Heli-Prop, FC Chippewa's Red Maiden, or FC Branko's Proper Lady Slipper run ?
Last edited by WELLS WOODS on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

I saw pacesetter at the run off one year did a real nice job.
Saw tall grass hank run as well i have seen alot of nice ones over the years.
Saw flirt run

big mike 50

Post by big mike 50 »

Greg I listened to John talk about having Heli-Prop at his place for a while and bracing him and Pacesetter for a month or so before Branko took Prop back and he said it was one of the best things he had ever seen. I would have liked to see that.
When the tailgate drops the bull$#!t stops

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Thanks; I would have paid to see that for sure. These hounds would have been running in the late 80's, very early 90's. IFC Maravic's Blue Ninja was starting to make some noise in the Northeast about this time too; Anyone see him run ?
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

Chimney Rock Kennel

Post by Chimney Rock Kennel »

I recently got to sit in on a conversation between Bruce New and Brent Gay. They were discussing the old hounds of yesteryear and it was a joy to listen to. A couple kept coming up but Jackpot was one that kept surfacing sounds like he was something to watch.
Home of

NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Bad Moon Rising
FCGD LPRCH Chimney Rock's KY Lucky
NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Shooting Star

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I was ending a 21 year addiction to the tree hounds in 1993 and was returning to the little hounds of my youth.Had joined the Claremont,N.H. Beagle club and was asking some of the older beaglers what breeding I should be looking at.They all said to look at stuff coming off of Jack of all Trades and Ninja was his son and making some noise on the northeastern Large Pack on Hare trial circuit at that time and also up in Canada.He'd also been sent down south where he placed at trials in Arkansas and Louisiana on swampers.
I made it a point to go to several trials to watch Ninja run and also got to see his littermate sisters Mimi and Missy run .Saw Ninja take a first at Northampton-Russell Beagle Club in Massachusetts in '93 with 59 males entered.Also saw him and his sister [either Missy or Mimi ? ] run in the Trial of Champions at the Futurity weekend at Hardwick,Vermont in '94.I believe Ninja placed 3'rd that day.
To me Ninja and his sisters were very impressive dogs and just what I was looking for.Ninja was not a "windsplitter" but had enough foot to be competitive where ever he was ran.From what I saw he had total concentration even in a large pack of 15" males,did not get rattled and had that lock-on ability regardless of the rest of the pack's actions.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Funny....a lot of dogs get better and better the longer they are dead.....lol. :D

Just human nature I guess... Like saying Michael Jordan was waaayyyy better than Lebron.....come on....really?

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Please excuse my sarcasm, but is anyone satisfied with the dogs they have today and are basing there breedings around?

I know what this post was about, but I would like to know about existing hounds.....we cannot bring back the dead unless we are breeding to hounds currently that have the same traits as the dogs mentioned here.

Thanks and take care!