Most dominating performance you have witnessed??

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

WELLS WOODS

Re: Most dominating performance you have witnessed??

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Jackpot had some great qualities & a lot to offer with his tremendous bloodline, but he had a hard time adjusting to cottontail from hare at first. He wanted to be on the front end a little too much. If I remember right , Brent didn't get him from Branko until he was 4 years old or so & he'd never left Branko's farm or ran anything but hare before that. Branko & Brent both liked him a lot & ended up in a feud over him. They finished him fairly quick though & won the AKC Large Pack Nationals too. I'm just glad Moon Pie got bred to him because I ended up with the best pup in the litter in my opinion, Prime Time & like the last dude said, the longer he's dead, the better he seems to get.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

BCBeagles wrote:
I know what this post was about, but I would like to know about existing hounds.....we cannot bring back the dead unless we are breeding to hounds currently that have the same traits as the dogs mentioned here.

Thanks and take care!

Better yet how many people know the dogs or line of dogs they claim to be basing their breeding program on through first hand observation of said hounds performance enough to know their true strengths and weaknesses? My guess is the majority of is based on here say and field trial records.

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Judging field trials is the best way to see what bloodline of hounds run to suit you. I've seen good & bad in just about every bloodline, but some of the best I've seen had Heli-Prop, Pacesetter, Shaker, Mark v Ace In The Hole, Ranger Dan, Sock It To Me, Jack of all Trades & Super Dog blood. Other than judging trials, name some ways to see a large variety of different bloodlines in action run against each other ? That's why field trials exist; to promote the best hunting hounds available today & if our system is done fairly & knowledgably , we should be able to learn a lot by reading the trial results. Looks like the same hounds winning today, have distant ancestors that were winners 10 , 20 years ago.
Last edited by WELLS WOODS on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

That is the reason I ask......

I am very happy with the dogs in my kennels now....don't have to go off hearsay....run them all regularly.

They express the traits of there ancestors that I discussed with first hand viewers....that is indeed hearsay as you stated.

Lots of folks stressing dogs of yesteryear.....maybe the quality has been bred out of them thru satisfaction in breeding based off pedigree and not actual field performance??

I am quite confident that the hounds listed are good hounds and capable of great days, but where are those dogs of the here and now?? This post has turned to talking about the past.....you can only relive it. You can't bring it back........unless.........you have the performers to pass on the traits of the generations before....still then has it been watered down too much to bring the great individuals???

Just asking....

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Several of the hounds mentioned that had great runs in the past have produced several generations of winners themselves. One Example: Pacesetter - Baba Louie - Gator - Oliver - FC Dago Valley Bullet & there are hundreds of examples like this. Several just from Pacesetter.
another example,
East Coast Trimmer- Jack Of All Trades- Jackpot-- Prime Time-- Pound The Ground Chance--FC Cereal City Wango Tango
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I agree but has the core of traits remained intact? Or are they just the exception? And others show dissimilar traits....

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

The talent level in the field trial world may be at an all time high across the board; we have more parts of the country involved with more serious beaglers than ever before, especially in the Mid-west Association.
Last edited by WELLS WOODS on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

I agree there are alot of sires that have left thier mark on the beagling world , but we all need to keep in mind that alot of this can be attributed to they right cross with the right dam. Now i wil explain what i mean lookat past and current all these sires have been bred countless times with great success but i feel that the outstanding hounds produced come from few select breedings that produce several from each litter that become exceptional.

Pacesetterxbessie
Oliverx klacking creek smoke
Oliver x ceadr run bugsy
Gator x jerry jo aggate
East coast trimmer x annas anne
And alot of others i am forgetting but my point is that the above outstanding hounds have come from select breedings now not to say that there are not alot of top quality hounds out of the sires that i would love to have but the "elite" are usually from select crosses.
Jmo , Tom

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Are the dogs similar in style to there ancestry, we know that trial formats have to pick a winner from what's there....are the dogs holding to the traits of hounds of yesteryear described or are the judges saying....that one is the winner....not the style of it's grand parents....but it wins.

That is what I see....formats morphing to fit the dog.....not the dogs getting any better.....Just my opinion.

JCM

Post by JCM »

BCBeagles wrote:Are the dogs similar in style to there ancestry, we know that trial formats have to pick a winner from what's there....are the dogs holding to the traits of hounds of yesteryear described or are the judges saying....that one is the winner....not the style of it's grand parents....but it wins.

That is what I see....formats morphing to fit the dog.....not the dogs getting any better.....Just my opinion.
In my opinion, based on over 40 years of beagle competition, there is absolutely no doubt that beagles as a whole are much better. I ran in a few Midwest trials back in the early days and the style of dogs has not changed, there are just a lot more dogs that can compete.

I have enjoyed hearing about the hounds of the past. Thanks to all for sharing.

Mark T

Post by Mark T »

BCBeagles wrote:I agree but has the core of traits remained intact? Or are they just the exception? And others show dissimilar traits....
Jim, I just missed seeing Ninja, he died a couple years before I got into dogs, but, I have kept "Ninja" blood here since day one. I had the pleasure to own 4 daughters of Ninja and 2 grandsons. I have hunted and ran with countless other sons and daughters of his. They all had varying foot speed and mouth and disposition. But ALL of them had insatiable hunt, desire and toughness. FC Maravics Blue Moon was one of the most impressive 15" bitches I have ever watched. I got to see her in her prime when Vic had her, then he gave her to me for the last 3-4yrs of her life. Till the day she died she would hunt with no regard to her own well being. FC Maravics Blue Jean would be easy to overlook in a pack, almost the opposite of Moon, fast enough, very clean and close, but possessed that same incredible hunt and desire. She too died here and hunted like a machine till the end. I am now on the 3rd generation from Blue Moon and Blue Jean and I have 1-2ys olds that posses that same insatiable hunt/desire. So in my opinion I believe the core traits do carry on if you do it right. I think the most important factor when "carrying on" the line is make sure the INDIVIDUAL has the traits you want. Don't breed it just because it "has the blood", make sure he/she has the traits you want. As I have said in other threads, I have been lucky enough to see some of the best performing hounds in the last 15yrs. And I agree with Greg that judging is a great way to see what is really "all that" and what is all hype. It is very exciting to see dogs like Blue Bay do great. Lots of beers were drank discussing the breeding of Nikita with my old pal Stub Barker. It is a great sense of pride to see that the advise or "observations" you give someone pays off. Now a couple generations out with dogs like Paw King, Big Stud, Navigator, Bullet, it shows Kevin Orr has done the right moves as well. By the way, one of the first trials I ever went to was won by NLPC FC Branko's Jackpot, I will never forget it and searched for a bitch off him. I found one and she turned out to be one of my most beloved, Branko's Jackpot Bingo dam to FC Side Hill Keuka Blue and my favorite in the kennel to this day Maple Hill Blue Banshee

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Good information...I am not trying to be negative....just questioning.

I value the opinions greatly of people with experience as they have chimed in on this post.

Thanks and good running to all!

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

I have been running midwest for 20 yrs and judged alot until an injury stopped from judging . As a whole there are more quality hounds that have the ability to place and win than in in the past.
Tom Summers

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

I agree Tom. Mid-West HOY races are very competitive. Some coming down to the last trial or two of the year.
Mark, I also heard Blue Moon was very nice! ; Blue Bay has a lot of Moon blood in her. Blue Ninja's influence is showing up in some of the best hounds running today. Reggie's dam was also linebred Ninja ; Simba & Blue Moon.
Last edited by WELLS WOODS on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

chris83

Post by chris83 »

Seen O Fielden Montgomery at the 2014 Camden county hot dog eating contest, double fisting them. It was something.
lprc Harlow's To Small Jax's
lprc Harlow's Attila The Honey