Most dominating performance you have witnessed??

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

WELLS WOODS

Re: Most dominating performance you have witnessed??

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Oh I can believe Xena dominating a pack. I saw her at White Water before she got her first win. I was handling a buddy's dog that wasn't bad herself. I told him when I got home that he's wasting his time & money trying to finish her as long as Jeff Martin's Xena dog was there. Turns out I had a pretty good eye; she won that day & rolled off about 16 more wins!
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

Xena one in a life time dog, don't see them like her. One tuff dog.

schwanie

Post by schwanie »

I remember an A.K.C. trial when I owned Lizard Creek Tadpole. He went down to a brace with Crybaby's Sir Sawyer. Those two pounded the rabbit and it was tit for tat for a long time. Sawyer won that day. They often met at trials and could put a bunny to moving. It was a great time watching them and both went on to be Field Champs. I had sold Tadpole before he finished. Another trial I remember was a brace between F.C. Rebel Run Jag and F.C. Mill Branch Major. Those two put on one heck of a show with Major winning that day. Major was one of the best hounds I have ever seen besides F.C. Rebel Run Johnny Reb. I alway's joked that Reb was ahead of his time but it seemed true as he dominated just about every pack he run with. For those that don't remember, he was F.C. Mark V's Ace in the Hole's grandsire. Just thought I would share and hope all enjoy.

Yettez_Beagles21

Post by Yettez_Beagles21 »

PCH Clemens Bunny Bustin Boots at the performance pack Michigan state hunt a couple years ago. Pretty much soloed the hole hour not missing a beat. Judge never seen him or heard of him at all before and when the cast was over he said if there was a video of a dog for first starting out judges to watch to see what a true performance pack dog should look like "this is that dog" unfortunately he passed at very young age. Boots was in a class of his own. I've also seen Kimbrel's Kick em up Kane throw a hurting on a pack along with Hullets Benny Beans and new comer Clemens Bunny Bustin Jon these males are in a league of there own all power house rabbit thrashing males.
WORLDPCH GRPCH Yette's Bunny Bustin Cane
GRPCH Clemens Bunny Bustin Bee
GRPCH Yette's Bunny Bustin Thunder
PCH Yette's Bunny Bustn Gravy

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Also heard about great runs from good sources by FC Maravic's Mimi, IFC Greenbay Shooter, FC Hubert's Tori, IFC Rileys Rolling Trails, FC Pinnacle Hill Sport, FCGD Green Bay Nemasket Singer, FC Drew's Blue Storm & FC Mountain Ash Dino. The VERY BEST hounds that I EVER saw run were Blue Banks Moon Pie & Elk Creeks Amazing Grace; littermate sisters by IFC Taylor's Sock It To Me x Camp Creek Gertrude. They were also littermates to Elk Creeks Gentle George & Blue Banks Prima Donna.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

nhharris78

Post by nhharris78 »

I've seen my ruby female put on a couple shows. When she won the runoff in 2011 judges said they were running just to place the other hounds and the very best she ever looked was one of her wins at south ky trial. All dogs that hit the bench that day are all finished now.
1st ruby
2nd Smiths Stormin Ida ( that was the day I seen I need to own her lol!)
3rd benges peanut
4th segers shooting shadow
NBQ piersons westside Jackie
Id say the best winners pack I've ever seen go and was glad to be a part of it.
Nate Harris
Shultz Creek Kennel
FCGD Skeeter Creek's Ruby Lou
FCGD Smith's Stormin Ida
NRFC Shultz Creeks Hillbilly Gauge

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Yeah, Ruby was an awesome hound too. I didn't get to see her in the trials, but she impressed me the month or so I had her down here getting her in shape for you. I figured she would be hard to beat at South Ky & sure enough, she won.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Would have liked to have seen Moon Pie, Amazing Grace, Skunk, Tamarack & Big Creek Judy get it on. Those are my top 5 I guess. I wouldn't know who to bet on ; I couldn't go against any of them.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

These five hounds were full 15" & leggy; built for speed, but were rabbit dogs first. They had gears & knew where the point of loss was; just loaded with brains, nose & desire. I know some would say with all that power, it would have been a clusterxxx, but I don't think so. These were the elite of the elite in my book. Fault free as any dogs I've seen with thier mind on the rabbit & not each other type hounds. Everyone knows how I feel about Pie & Grace; well I saw several bitches run from the Pacesetter x Black Point Bessie cross & all were nice, but IFC Stoneyhills Tamarack was in a league of her own compared to her mates. Skunk just destroyed a winners pack at Westland one year; FC Branko's Jackpot placed 3rd that day, but it was a distant 3rd. John Dewyse brought a 16 month old, Dewyse's Big Creek Judy to South Ky one year. Morton Sexton & I had the pleasure of judging that class. John also brought near FC at the time, Silvertone White Feather who needed a win to finish & I think at that time they really hadn't evaluated Judy very much to that point because they were expecting Feather to win if anything. Judy put on a show ; had the winners pack stretched coming off the hill; the rabbit came to the road & ran up the ditch line without crossing the road until it got 75 yards or so down the ditch. Judy made the turn up the ditch. The rest of the pack behind her blew across the road & had no idea for a moment that Judy was smoking it right up the ditch. The pack ran right down the road beside Judy & she still out ran them & made the turn across the road & didn't miss a beat. I told John after the trial if he wanted to finish Feather, who was very nice & placed third that he better leave his young Judy bitch at home. We talked for a while after the trial & I found out that Judy's sire was Branko's Baba Louie, an oversized male by Pacesetter & Proper Lady Slipper. I had Gay's Spring Creek Robin at the time & she was directly by Heli-Prop out of Elk Creeks Amazing Grace. She was in heat & I had my mind made up to breed her to Pacesetter.. After seeing Judy run , I had John take her back with him and breed her to Baba Louie instead. I think John thought I was crazy not breeding her to Pacesetter, but as nice of a guy that he is, he took her & bred her to Baba Louie for me. That cross produced IFC Stoneyhills Gator & maybe my best bitch ever Silver Spring. Man I got off track; anyway those five hounds would have been a rabbit's worst nightmare.
Last edited by WELLS WOODS on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Had the pleasure of running with Clarence Shaw and Skunk sevral times before Clarence passed away. Skunk was tough when he was in shape henlooked like a body builder he is to date the most muscle dog I have evr seen. And to date the most dominating. That is anbig statement for me because i have seen alot of outstanding hounds big and small but Skunk is the one that stands out everytime a conversation like this comes up.
Tom summers

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Would anyone have a 3 or 4 generation pedigree of Skunk ? I know he sired Trails' dam, FC RJ's Tall Tails.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

----------------------------------FC Birch Lake Jesse James
----------------------Rabbit Backs Sundown
----------------------------------Snow Run Bobbie Donna
-----------Waldron's Spike
----------------------------------Goulders Marks Rocky
----------------------Waldron's Maggie
----------------------------------Katie's Sin Martin
FC Shaw's Trailblazer Skunk
----------------------------------FC Ausable River Schnaaps
----------------------Meachum Al's Dobo Assisi Cap
----------------------------------FC Leitza's Girl
-----------Shaw's Liza Jane
----------------------------------IFC Oakdale's Rusty
----------------------FC Chippewa's Red Maiden
----------------------------------Fultzpatty Liz

I've seen Skunk destroy winner's packs. One of the most explosive dogs out of a check that I've ever seen. It looked like his hind legs belonged on an angus bull because they were so muscular.

J&J Run Em Down

Post by J&J Run Em Down »

...........................Rabbit Back Sundown (Fc birch lake Jesse James & snow run Bobbie Donna)
..............Waldron's Spike (the best snow nose I ever seen)
...........................Waldron's Maggie ( Goulders marks rocky & Katie's sin Martin)
Fc Shaw's trail blazer skunk
...........................Meachum Dobo Assisi cap ( Fc Ausable river schnapps & Fc Leitza's Girl)
..............Shaw's Liza Jane ( the toughest 13in I ever seen a all day dog)
............................Fc Chippewa's Red Maiden ( IFC Oakdales rusty & Fultzpatty Liz

Hope this helps
The only thing wrong with skunk was not enough people bread to him he reproduce just as good or not better then he ran ran with him weekly and when Clarence shaw got sick I had him at my house for some time to run him for mr shaw good dog and Clarence was a great beagler he love to compete

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

Greg, you mentioned Milton Going's female White Feather. I saw her get her 3rd win. I think it was in Berea and it came down to a brace between her and one of John's females out of Pacesetter. It should have been video recorded and put in the AKC rule book for an example of how to run a rabbit perfectly. They were so even in score that it came down to the judges declaring that the next check wins and it happened to be Feather. For the life of me I can't remember the name of John's female. What a show.

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Wow! I didn't know Skunk had such a famous bloodline. Cletus Shaw has always been competitive with his hounds & I remember Clarence quite well; they came down here to South Ky's Mid-West trial several times & won with Skunk one time as a matter of fact . We had a nice winners pack that year.
About Feather, she was a great hound; I'm pretty sure she was by Pacesetter, but I can't remember her dam; seems like it may have been a Jack or Ali-Baba bitch that died young. John Dewyse had several nice hounds by Pacesetter & FC Branko's Tweedy Mc Caul ( littermate to Heli- Prop); IFC Branko's Tallgrass Hank was a nice hound. Jerry Eversole also had a really nice bitch by Pacesetter & Tweedy McCaul; FWR Branko's Big Creek Diamond. The Pacesetter x FC Branko's Proper Lady Slipper cross produced Branko's Baba Louie, IFC Branko's Pacer Becky & FC Branko's Spring Kisses. There were several good females by the Pacesetter & FC Black Point Bessie cross also; Good Looking Babe, Black Squaw, & FC Holdsworth 's Little Flirt ; Flirt was FC Greenbay Wiley's granddam . My favorite, IFC Stoneyhills Tamarack, also by Pacesetter & Bessie, was an amazing talent; she had more gears & ability than most hounds I've judged. She could walk it out over sand or dirt when the others couldn't even get a whiff & when the scenting conditions improved , she would explode & lead the pack with amazing line control! She was a special hound. The Pacesetter x FC Chippewas Red Maiden cross has also produced well; I see that Red Maiden was Skunk's granddam also. Don Hoog & Chris Spencer had some awesome bitches by FC Turbo Powered By Prop (IFC Branko's Heli-Prop x FC Elk Creeks Blue Babe) & Shaw's Oakwood Callie ( Pacesetter x Red Maiden). They were FC Talkabout Calie , FC Spencer's Turbo Babe & Spencer's Autumn Breeze. They bred those three bitches to Prime Time & got several nice hounds: FC Talkabout Kellie , FC Spencer's Blue Flame, Ison's Colonel Cobalt & Spencer's Stone Cold Hemi to name a few.
R.B Sester also had a nice male , FC Phelp's Lil R B, by FC Indian Hills Trapper & Shaws Oakwood Sally ( a mate to Callie by Pacesetter & Red Maiden). Those Northern Michigan & Pacesetter bred hounds have really crossed well with Branko blood & other bloodlines that actually trace back to the some of the same legendary hounds several generations back.
Last edited by WELLS WOODS on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo