Free primitive camping in Maine?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

northernhare

Free primitive camping in Maine?

Post by northernhare »

I hear most of the private land in Maine is open to hunting, fishing, and camping. I was wondering if anybody knows about camping on paper company property, etc? Are there camping permits required or fire permits? I've been looking online for any information on this but things are very vague. We have a cabin booked again this year but I was thinking of a two or three week tent stay in the future. Thanks for any help.
Run to catch!!!

BCBeagles

Re: Free primitive camping in Maine?

Post by BCBeagles »

Check with Boom Hill Kennels....great guys! They have a website.

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

You botany guys are maniacs. Haha

northernhare

Post by northernhare »

Greenhouse guys have extra time off in the fall. ;)
Run to catch!!!

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I have friends that live in northern Maine [ Aroostock County ] that I stay with so I don't really know about the camping.I would guess that if you had a self contained camper and just parked it back out of the way that nobody would bother you.As I've seen places where it appears that hunters have done that in the past.But, if you were going to set up an established campsite with tents,latrine,gear and dogs all spread out and were going to be there for awhile might be a different story.You probably should talk with someone in the know so you don't run into problems with the loggers or their foresters.
You might check with the local realators in the area you want to hunt.There are many camps in northern Maine that are used for snowmobiling in the winter or for deer,moose and bear season hunting.Many of these camps are empty when I'm up there hare hunting in October and could be rented for a couple of weeks real reasonable.
It is true that most of the top third of Maine is private property owned by timber/paper companies and they keep it open for hunters,etc.but,keep in mind that it is PRIVATE property.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

northernhare

Post by northernhare »

Thanks for that input Shady Grove!
Run to catch!!!

steve w

Post by steve w »

northernhare

Post by northernhare »

Thanks Steve!
Run to catch!!!

Budd

Post by Budd »

Check with the fellas on the Maine forum, I know a few of the guys there and hunted with a handful.
http://houndsofmaine.all-forum.net/