Obedience training book for beagles?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BrownBear

Obedience training book for beagles?

Post by BrownBear »

New to the forum and looking for some help on training. Been poking around the forum for a couple years and finally signed up. Can anyone recommend a good book or two for obedience training and field training for beagles. We intend to keep her in our home and hunt her. She is out of great hunting stock and I also intend to trial her. Quite a few years ago I had several good books for bird dogs and used what I remembered to train my last beagle. I learned from him that beagles are just a little (maybe a lot) different than English Springers! Thanks for the help.

Househounds

Re: Obedience training book for beagles?

Post by Househounds »

Here is the book for you!
http://www.amazon.com/Beagle-Training-B ... 0944875335

I cant tell you how many times I have recommended this book on here when people have quesitons about training, and have not gotten any response from anyone who has bought it and read it. Please let me know what you think.

Also get one about beagle training in general. This one does not cover crate training or housebreaking for the indoor dog.

and you will more then likely need a shock collar however My shock collars came with a owners manual. It explained how the collars works and had a seperate section on how to condition your dogs to respond to it, including how to determine the correct level to use. If you do not have the manual you can usualy find them on line. I did not get one for my first dog until he was 2 years old, and I was ready to give up on his hunting career, becuase I spent all my time hunting for him or waiting for him to come back. The collar took care of that and now I would not go hunting without him. My next dog got one when he was about 6 months old. I would recommend anyone starting with a shock collar for the first time get the manual on how to train with one.

Great to know people still read books to learn stuff.

Good Luck
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

Ordered a copy today. I'll let you know to. Thanks Househound

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

Househound, Just a wanted to thank you for the recommendation. Beagle Training Basics: The Care, Training and Hunting of the Beagle by Bill Bennett. This is a great little read and obedience refresher. I'd recommend this book to anyone looking for a beagle focused read.
I had a collar from our last beagle and used it very little. Just a couple times on for deer.
Picked up my new pup Friday. She's in a puppy pen and crate in our living room. And we have the same set up at work at my business. She's doing great!

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

Glad to hear it. I was realy happy with the results from using that book. I will be getting a new pup soon also and will definately be brushing up on the training techniques. Collar training is the one thing that book does not cover but you get a training manual with your collar. If you did not you can find them on line. Good Luck and keep us posted. Perhaps you could post a pic of your new pup when you get a chance? I would love to see it.