New York Hare Population?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BEAGLEBLUES

New York Hare Population?

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

I have a friend that is stationed in New York. I Have always wanted to hunt snowshoe Hare and I was thinking that I might try to visit him and go hunting while there. I spent almost every weekend hunting with him and his father while in high school. I just saw him a couple weeks ago, when he came in for his father's funeral. I still have dogs that came from his father when he got to the point he couldn't hunt anymore. I would like to take him hunting, and I would like to hunt hare also, so I was thinking that this might be a great way to get two birds with one stone. So, here are the questions:

Have any of yall on here hunted near Ft Drum? I would like to know where, what time, and is there any public ground that hold hare in New York. I realize that this sounds like I am asking for honey holes, and that is not the case. I am just wanting to know if there is any Hare Close to Ft Drum, and if there is any Public Ground to try. Also, what time of year would you recomend for a guy that is from Kentucky and don't like snow!?!?

Also, It might be something that would be better to just get a guide and hunt. Is there anyone that does guided hunts for snowshoe hare in New York close to Fort Drum?

Thanks,
Jamey

main event`s beagles

Re: New York Hare Population?

Post by main event`s beagles »

there is a guy on this board upstatenybeagler invited me up to fort drum to run hare. im sure he would help you out also. you can go to page 5 and look up topic hare hunt this fall and see the comments I got hope this helps
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S SAMMIE TO ME
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S ROXIE
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S JOE
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO
LP RCH LPBCH BIG CITY'S CREEK
LP RCH LPBCH MAIN EVENT'S KILLA MASON

main event`s beagles

Post by main event`s beagles »

I will bring the topic back to page 1 for ya
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S SAMMIE TO ME
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S ROXIE
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S JOE
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO
LP RCH LPBCH BIG CITY'S CREEK
LP RCH LPBCH MAIN EVENT'S KILLA MASON

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

You can hunt fort Drum. There are thousands and thousands of open acres to hunt in fort Drum. You need to call and get a permit which cost 10 bucks the the last time I got one. They will send you a map and you generally are required to call every morning and a recording will tell you which areas are open to hunt each morning. Plenty of haire but in pockets so you need to drive around and look for good cover. Bring a good gps as the roads are an endless maze in drumroll. Good luck

upstatenybeagler

Post by upstatenybeagler »

My kennel name is Drum Runner Kennels for a reason. I live 1 mile away. Plenty of hare this past year. Tell your buddy to get ahold of me I'll show him some spots.
*IFC Beavercreek's Kickaz*
Drum Runner's PB Blaster
Drum Runner's Twisted Tank
Drum Runner's Sniper
Drum Runner's Savage
Drum Runner's Little Kickaz
Drum Runner's NEK Digger
Drum Runner's NEK Jack-Off

upstatenybeagler

Post by upstatenybeagler »

Fort drum is open to public but need permits. I can get you all that you need. Also need to register your guns or just use mine when you come. If you show up in December or January we can pound hare for hours on Drum. I also have 309 acres outside of drum you are welcome to use. My number is 3158366560. Feel free to contact me any time
*IFC Beavercreek's Kickaz*
Drum Runner's PB Blaster
Drum Runner's Twisted Tank
Drum Runner's Sniper
Drum Runner's Savage
Drum Runner's Little Kickaz
Drum Runner's NEK Digger
Drum Runner's NEK Jack-Off

BEAGLEBLUES

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

Thanks for the info. Upstatenybeagler, I might just call you about a run up to New York this fall.