Trashing Running Beagles

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Ole Mule

Trashing Running Beagles

Post by Ole Mule »

How many dogs have you had or seen that didn't need to be broke from running trash? If you had one or seen one was it male or female? If you know what it was out of that would be interesting also.
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

littlewoody

Re: Trashing Running Beagles

Post by littlewoody »

Every hound I had needed to be broke off deer all males . I only buy pups I will drive around see some deer and set my pups up then its # 6 . ;)
TheJohnBirchSociety

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Early on in my beagling career it seemed that I had more trouble with my dogs wanting to offer on trash [ mostly deer and the occasional fox ].Although I will say that all broke pretty easily with a couple of applications in the right situation with the Tri-Tronics.
Over the past 20 years I have been breeding and keeping dogs linebred off of I.F.C. Maravic's Blue Ninja.Many of these dogs never ran anything but a rabbit and proved to be dead broke no matter what company or situation they were in.Some just wouldn't honour the trash runner after they checked him and just continued to hunt on their own.Several others were what I call "tatletails" as they would come back to me and just sit down beside me with a look that said"not me dad".Others as young dogs that showed interest or offered to take a trash track were stopped quickly and once or twice was all it took to convince them that that was a no go.Smart dogs!
In my opinion, the MOST IMPORTANT thing in having trash free dogs is #1 the breeding,#2 starting them on rabbits and controlling the situation whether you do that in a starting pen or in the wild.Get them running rabbits,rabbits and more rabbits.#3 Stop the interest or trash running as soon as it starts. Once it gets started it's a lot harder to correct.If you can stop them the first time or two it occurs your battle is just about won.#4Run them with straight company! Too many folks start throwing their young dogs in with mixed company and some of that company is not trustworthy.Nothing will corrupt your young dog quicker than exposing him to the pressure of a confirmed trash runner.
For over 20 years I had coon hounds and in my experience the big hounds were more prone to take off game and were A LOT harder to break from trash than beagles are.
I absolutely won't keep a confirmed trash runner no matter how good a rabbit runner he may be..It's just too aggravating.I'll give a young dog some slack as he's just starting his hunting carreer but if he doesn't get the message pretty quick he's not staying here.
The Tn.Wildlife Resources Agency estimates the state deer population at 1,000,000 animals.I've got to have straight dogs!
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

big mike 50

Post by big mike 50 »

I am with woody as far as breaking them also know a guy with a pen that has a doe that drops a fawn in the pen every year seems like. To answer your question I have owned one male out of Trails and Destiny that never ran a deer for me and his new owner said he tattled on young dogs running deer. He was never shocked. Always made me nervous and I always ran a collar on him but he never even looked at a deer track.
When the tailgate drops the bull$#!t stops

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

What Dana said ! And Dana of those 1,000,000 99,000,000 live between my house & yours ; )
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Old Mule, I think the breeding plays a large part. Now for the rest of the story. I have owned quite a few that were trash proof, which means I never had to correct them once I took them afield after their initial training period, that doesn't mean they were naturally trash proof , most will need a correction or possibly two in their early career , If I have to correct one more than that someone else will own him, If I can't run mine with deer runners with complete confidence then they won't be mine very long. Deer are generally the #1 trash that is talked about! I remember taking a guy snowshoe hare hunting about 25 years ago and as the snow was deep and dry powder I decided to only take two hounds, neither had ever ran a Hare before but were big nosed trash free hounds, I never dreamed how trash free they were , both refused to run hare , but as there were New England cottontails in the area we did run a few of them that morning but they all holed pretty quickly. I took those two dogs home and got two others and the man got his first Hare! I have since had another hound or two that initially refused to run Hare! Now there is a big difference between trash free and NATURALLY trash free. I don't believe there are NATURALLY trash free hounds. The difference is as Shady Grove pointed out, start them on rabbits, keep them on nothing but rabbits for a good length of time this will lead to some being trash free and some being very easy to break out of a bloodline not inclined to be trashy, this is the key! For the guy who believes his are naturally trash proof, would you be saying that as a pup when starting them if you tried to start them on Fox, cat, deer or whatever and put as much time into that as starting them on rabbits they would not have started ? Naturally trash proof, I don't believe that exists! My hounds are predominately Gay breeding, but things are starting to get watered down somewhat!

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

My Sadie dog is 2 yrs old, line bred ninja. She has never offered to run a deer. One time out running, the dogs were circling a rabbit out in front of me. As they turned coming toward me I seen a buck deer chasing a doe. Both stopped bout 50-60 yds out when they seen me. As we were having a stare off, the rabbit shot between us. The dogs were pounding. Sadie was in front, as she come into opening where me and the deer were, she slammed on the brakes. Hair raised up and growled at the buck. The deers finally left. Soon as they turned she continued on her RABBIT track. It was scary but funny all at the same time.

Owned a half sister to her she also never offered to run off game. Rabbit crazy!!!

Run the uncle of these females ( Puckett Creeks Tn Driver ) in many field trials and gun hunted very hard. Have seen deers get pushed out of there bedding areas and he to would not come off a rabbit track.

Own half brother to Driver ( Mt View jack all trades Ja-Lo ) you can tie a steak to a deers butt, and he would not offer to run it.

All these dogs are from blue ninja bloodline.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

See when u set up the pup on deer and break them. before they run across a deer and decide to run it all day . It save u time and trouble . I remember 25 year ago when I started running hound I had no one to teach me the ropes . It was 4pm the two hounds got on a deer I stayed out until 1am to get them . :lol:
TheJohnBirchSociety

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

Main thing to remember. I'm always looking for a deer chase when there young. I'd rather them learn not to at a early age.
Don't run, especially young dogs with a trash running dogs.
At young age keep them in rabbits, rabbits, and more rabbits. If a hound is taken out, and no rabbits are found, they will want to pursue something. That's why keeping them in rabbits is important.
Run youngens with a good solid old hound, one who will find you a rabbit and it makes the youngens go with them.

Good breeding will help with this too, but it is not diffident thing. Always pay attention and be on look out for you never know what runs threw their minds at any given time.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

The last pack I had were natural broke. I came across a male around 18 years ago that a man used beagles to run deer and he said this dog would not run deer and want to sell or trade and I gave him a hundred dollors for the dog.Breed the dog to two females and had 5 females out of the breed sold the males and sole one female and now had 4 females.The last one die around two years ago.They all never ran nothing but a rabbit and I never put a e collar on them.It was so nice to rabbit hunt over these dogs and they were around 80 percent on there rabbits. Real good above med speed dogs. The best pack I ve ever had.They were reg and came out of Wright line Ozzie, and big swamp. I know some don t believe in a natural broke beagle but for sure I do and if I was to start over, I want to look at a dog in the woods with no e collar on it and deer everwere. Now you can go rabbit hunting.Priceless

mud

Post by mud »

I have raised and started dozens of dogs that did not trash through the years' have also raised some trash runners. Did not keep them very long.