Double Cross of Speedy Sport good or bad

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dhoundman

Double Cross of Speedy Sport good or bad

Post by dhoundman »

i got a 13" female with one cross of speedy and double cross of one tuff ombre and two cross of war lock all in five genaration.
Doess any body now what kind of dog speedy was. ?????????

big mike 50

Re: Double Cross of Speedy Sport good or bad

Post by big mike 50 »

I believe Jeff Goff owned and finished him. I never saw sport go though.
When the tailgate drops the bull$#!t stops

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

Vic Cronin owned and finished Sport but was at Mike Mcphersons until his death.Tex Dowlearn bred Fc Tughill Candy May to one of FC Tughill Buddy Black sons.Both Candy & Buddy are out of NLPC IFC Speedy Sport and are littermates. This was a nephew to aunt cross of 2x NLPC IFC Tughill Dark Raider to Candy. Several finished from that cross. One that didnt that was kinda small belongs to my firend i hunt with some and he has been naturally deer proof since birth and is a great jump dog can circle his bunny all day long speed 7-8 a joy to hunt over. Alhough it was a tight cross there were no faulty culls at all. Vic Cronin finished Sport.Mike Mcpherson bred a lot of champions out of him and joe kuklenski utilizes his breeding with the Shooter stuff with a lot sucess.Tex Dowleran produced multiple NLPC winners through Sports son Buddy Black. There are 3 generations of NLPC winners in Sports heritage.The Dowlearns,Mcpherson & Kuklenski are the experts here really on the crosses though many more have finished champions out of Sport also. Sport was an agressive hard hitting competive nature hound when young. Vic quit trialing him early on. After Vic let him get some age Vics Gf talked Vic into taking him to the trial as Sport was sad and had not been ran. Well against most peoples odds he won it. He went on to be an IFC and win the NLPC on snow was a son of a NLPC winner and produced multiple NLPC IBHF winners himself as well.A legacy was laid down.Doubt you get 15's likely 13's probably get screaming high sound sreamey squally mouths from ones i seen.GO FOR IT!

spruce hill

Post by spruce hill »

Don't forget about paige and eddy who were the first to finish off Sport. I have watched sport go lots of times, had good foot, explosive out of the check, but most of all had brains. produced gritty hounds. Most everything i have in my kennel has sport breeding. produced some pretty solid hounds for sure.

HS Run

Post by HS Run »

Rob Kane posted a nice little write up about sport on beaglefieldtrials board just search Speedy Sport. Posted about March 2013. I think he posted it on this board to I just didn't look to find it.

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

Had a double speedy sport bitch. Main Events Double. 3 ukc pp hunts and 3 wins
Super track dog. Was about 12 inches but she didn't know it
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

I had one off sport, all i can say is one tuff rabbit dog. All the heart and hunt u could ask for.
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

LITAWAY'S CAPITAIN COLT COMMANDER
AWFULBAWLIN SMOKEN RED RYDER

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

I believe I was the first to breed Large Pack champions to Sport, but didn't get the speed of either parent in the offspring. Paige's darn was a medium speed hound yet Paige was wicked fast, go figure! I breed FC Woodeye's Super Girl (Mikermas Super Dog (Top Dog) x Turbo Girl(Heli-Prop)), FC Threejays Jack's Flash (Shaker & Angie) and Kemler's Blazing Nellie (Ali-Baba x Tricky Nicki) and got very good to great upper medium speed hounds, just not the Large Pack style I was looking for.

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

http://beaglefieldtrials.com/ipb/topic/ ... y+%2Bsport Rob Kanes article on judging Sport and off spring might add Buddy Black his son also won the 13 inch International Trial of Champions

dhoundman

Post by dhoundman »

Thanks so much you have all been very helpfull. I may try to do this cross in Nov.

island ridge hounds

Post by island ridge hounds »

i had a speedy sport male that was out of branko's little cleo. he ended up a little pack champion. he was about five when i got him and is about nine going on ten now. his name is branko's soldier of fortune. he had a good mouth and a ton of hunt. he to would explode out of a check and ran a lot of rabbit. he didn't have a lot of speed just quick off the check or jump then the other dogs would over take him but he'd be there when the last rabbit was run, a lot of heart. i breed him to a shaker and branko female and have two males out of the cross. one thing i have to say he sure put the hunt in them. there going on two and both doing well. one has a good mouth like his sire and the other has a high pitched squeal don't know where that came from the dam has a good chores chop mouth. the only thing i don't like about the breeding is there really short coupled, other than that i like what there doing.
let honesty run through the veins of each and every judge at each and every trial at each and
every format.

tdog

Post by tdog »

I dont think you can go wrong with speedy sport hounds. I have a male who is full of Jigs and out of my buddies speedy sport female and he is super nice.. I have only seen a few speedy sport dogs but I liked every one that I seen. He must have been a consistent producer because they all seemed to have the same qualities and they were good qualities.. What is the cross you are thinking of making?

:check: :check: :check: :check:

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

The first things that come to mind with that line are nose, hunt and grit. I have I direct daughter out of sport she is now 10. My favorite little niche of all time. I have some video of her running and some of her off spring on my photo bucket account you can watch if search speedy sport on this board and go thrue some of my earlier post..... Dh

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

spruce hill wrote:Don't forget about paige and eddy who were the first to finish off Sport. I have watched sport go lots of times, had good foot, explosive out of the check, but most of all had brains. produced gritty hounds. Most everything i have in my kennel has sport breeding. produced some pretty solid hounds for sure.
'Rob Kane', on 09 Mar 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:
I judged Speedy Sport twice, I wrote this up on American Beagler a couple months ago, hope this helps:

At the 2000 Large Pack Nationals he wore the number 9, I won't forget that as long as I live. For the 45 minutes to an hour we chased around a ghost trailer and a bunch of "me tooers", then we heard "tally ho". The sound of the pack had changed and your could hear the roar from the pack. My first[/background][/color] three looks at the pack a white faced, graying tri color dog had the front end with the hare right between his legs and wasn't looking back....the number 9. About an hour later the pack broke down, we had a line going straight through the gallery and only one dog was at the point of loss...the number 9. Another older dog appeared and the two of them stayed and worked, they knew it was there but couldn't get it up. After about 15 to 20 minutes we let people walk through the line. After that we worked the two hounds up maybe 50 feet and the "9" got real happy ducked into the Christmas trees and turned it into a run. He started to fade a bit during the day but was still doing enough work at a consistent basis to be considered for the win. He held off Tom Cheney's Hemlock Hill Hare Trigger, who was running on his home grounds and was starting to make a push for the win. I was truly impressed with that old dog that day, and the Hare Trigger dog as well...both of them showed a lot of talent. When the announced the winners, they called off FC SpeedySport. That trial put Speedy Sport on the map, because until that point he was really under the radar.

He finished quick in Canada, he won fairly large classes, in very bad conditions and by Spring in 2001 he was an IFC. Before the Nationals they had bred Milt's Bea Good Bonnie to him to produce Stein's Speedy Eddie, Stein's Sport's Paige, Tughill Buddy Black, and Tug Hill Candy Mae, as well as a pup that Steve Guy had that took a second in Canada in his first trial and then was lost in the wild. This litter stamped him as a producer and that was solidified at the 2004 Large Pack Nationals, when FC Stein's Sport's Paige won, IFC Hunt Em Up Sport's Anne (I believe thats how you spell it) was second and FC Tug Hill Candy Mae was 4th in the little bitches. In all the trials that I had judged the 2004 AKC Large Pack Nationals 13" Bitch Class was one of the best, if not the best. In the 13" Male class two Sport grandsons out of FC Tug Hill Buddy Black took first and second.

I judged him again at the Trial of Champions the next summer, in 2001. Bad conditions and hare that were sitting tight made it a frustrating day. I believe Speedy Sport went to the end, but didn't place. That class was won by another nice hound, IFC Branko's Dirty Pond Laika.

I had the chance of judging many of Sport's sons and daughters, grandsons and granddaughters, and probably now we are onto another generation. Many of which I placed and you could definitely see that Speedy Sport stamp in his pups

He was a dominant stud dog for sure. You could see a lot of his ability in his pups: fast and flashy (edgy type) when the hare or rabbit was up, but when you lost it they didn't stray far from the loss. Those two males that Tex cleaned up the Nationals with for years were out of a Speedy Sport male and a Hemlock Hare Trigger bitch...I always thought that was funny.

STEVE C ; Nice post Rob amazing line of dogs for certain love your posts you seen alot for sure. Sport hounds have won the the NBC Triple Challenge (large pack on cottontail) ARHA and UKC State titles in addition to the AKC NLPC. FC Buddy Black(sport pup) won the 13 class International Trial of Champions as well. Odd how they win big events even Speedy Sports sire was a NLPC winnerI.At the NLPC that same year all those 13's placed and won Ron Majerus placed a big bitch at the NLPC out of SPORT. Like 3 different classes SPORT dogs won or placed likely unrivaled in beagle history.

main event`s beagles

Post by main event`s beagles »

I have owned 2 females that was doubled up speedy sport they were small 13`s but could go check for check with anything they ran with. I gave my uncle a speedy sport male (ifc speedy sport x fc woodeyes turbo girl) he had an accidental breeding to his laneline female he will sell the pups for cheap if anyones interested.
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S SAMMIE TO ME
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S ROXIE
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S JOE
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO
LP RCH LPBCH BIG CITY'S CREEK
LP RCH LPBCH MAIN EVENT'S KILLA MASON