OT...First time for everything.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

S.R.Patch

OT...First time for everything.

Post by S.R.Patch »

Friday, went out to feed and heifer was having a calf. Nice little bull calf was born, cleaned and got up to nurse, all's-well.
Now comes following Monday, go out to check calf and cow is humped up like in labor again, call vet. and he says probably a dead calf inside, he'll be right out. Go back out to check cow and front legs of calf are sticking out. Grab the chains and put on front legs to pull calf, calf comes out and cow starts cleaning calf and it comes to life, nice little heifer calf up and nursing. Call vet. back and tell him never mind, the calf is out and nursing. He says, " well, that's one for my book".
Got some "fist milk" to feed the little heifer calf as her brother had worked them over good before she got here. Both are doing good.
Never had this happen before and both calves live... :shock: :angel:

LR Patch

Re: OT...First time for everything.

Post by LR Patch »

New one for me . Had cattle all my live don't think ever saw that . Had several twins before .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Great story ! :dance:
TheJohnBirchSociety

BAR-NONE

Post by BAR-NONE »

I've seen it and herd of it happen both count your blessing as it doesn't happen often and they both live!
In GOD we trust, everybody else pays cash

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

Probably going to want to feed her out to butcher and him.she's probably a freemartin and not going to be fertile. Good luck with them.

Sam
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I have never heard of that AND they both lived! I'm sure the bull calf will make a nice fat steer and of course the heifer will fatten up for the freezer real nice as well.

BAR-NONE

Post by BAR-NONE »

heck just sell em the little suckers are worth 500 bucks around these parts

gunslinger

Post by gunslinger »

BAR-NONE wrote:heck just sell em the little suckers are worth 500 bucks around these parts

Thats as about as honest as selling a dog that wont hunt for a rabbit dog.

BAR-NONE

Post by BAR-NONE »

gunslinger wrote:
BAR-NONE wrote:heck just sell em the little suckers are worth 500 bucks around these parts

Thats as about as honest as selling a dog that wont hunt for a rabbit dog.
why do you say that? many people sell off there twins because the cow can't support two, and it's more cost effective then bottle feeding one out. often times they go for that high of price because somebody has a cow that has lost a calf, and they want a calf to put on her, I don't see any dishonesty in that, that is just filling need and being smart with you're money. the way I see it is that it is no more dishonest then selling a $250+ dollar pup to someone, they don't know whether it's going to turn into a dog or not, but I guess I got a different point of view as I raise cattle for a living

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

Most calves purpose on earth is to go to a feedlot after weaning to fatten up on corn to butcher.
Any farmer knows what to look for on a heifer to breed. you look at the Vagina to see a Free Martin. And most of them look and act a little more like a Steer.
Selling a Calf that wont breed isnt screwing someone.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

warddog

Post by warddog »

The vast majority of folks buying calves are doing so as "FAT CATTLE" and not for breeding. They want to feed them out to put in their freezer and possibly sell one to make up some of their initial cost. I don't know how that pans out these days with the cost of corn so high but they used to buy two and sell one of the two to offset the cost.

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

S.R your the luckiest guy I know of.The way my luck goes the cow and the heifer would of died and I'ed been bucket feeding the little bull calf.Nothing wrong with selling a fremartin as long as someone isn't planning on using it for breeding stock.I had a Angus bull a few years ago that I got several sets of twins from.I about have to believe he was the cause because I didn't have any before I got him or had any sense I got rid of him.