Great Prices on Dog Food

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

cut2dchase

Re: Great Prices on Dog Food

Post by cut2dchase »

Local Rual King sells Pro Plan regular price 36.99 on sale often for 32.99. plus 7.00 Pro Plan checks .
Savor chicken and rice 35lbs.
Last edited by cut2dchase on Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little Indian Creek

Post by Little Indian Creek »

There are 34 different formulas of Purina Pro Plan, they're not all equal nor are they priced the same.
Kenny Lain
Little Indian Creek Kennels
AKC & NKC Beagles

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

warddog wrote:I do exactly as Patch does and buy it by the 2000# pallet. I store it in my constant temp and moisture basement and it normally last my cousin and I about 9 or 10 months. I also am quit fond of the folks I purchase it from in the little town where they are located as they are the nicest folks to deal with. last pallet I bought they had a special of .50 off per bag which they have every so often and I paid .44 per pound, tax and all. This same very feed is fed to 5 of my beagles, my cousin feeds one beagle, two la-de, la-da house dogs of his wife's a Great Pyrenees and a big white shepherd imported stock guard breed cross. ALL of these dogs are in fine flesh and each one eats as well as expels differently on the very same food. If one thinks that this feed will not keep a dog in fine flesh for .44 per pound I challenge you to try to walk into his yard with either of the guard dogs and or allow a pack of dogs or coyotes into his sheep/goat pen. They will run for their lives and we watched the Great Pyrenees kill two of four in a pack of dogs that were after his goats. That was four against one with two killed and two run home in pretty bad shape. Here's another thing that I find interesting and I'm sure that those of you on here that are coon hunters will agree with me on this issue. In ALL my years of belonging to a coon hunters club that hosted coon and squirrel hunts as well as competing in them, I NEVER EVER heard them asking what kind of feed one fed that Grand Nite Champion. I also never see this subject argued on the coon hunting site I visit now. Had this very conversation with a top competition coon hunting neighbor of mine just a few months ago and I asked him what he fed his dogs as he still competition hunts at nearly 70 years old and has won the WORLD hunt. His answer was that he buys it at one of those surplus houses that handle damaged freight. I was at his house on day and he was showing me what he bought and it was a conglomeration of different smaller sized bags of numerous brands and some even puppy chow. He mixes them all together and calls it GREAT feed for the price even though it cost him more per pound than what I pay. He also has his kennels on concrete just as I do and the cleanup is pretty simple with a shovel and a garden hose every few days even with those huge coon hounds dumping a much bigger load than my beagles. When I ran the coon hounds, I never bought $1.45 per pound feed and competed right there with the best of them night in and night out. I have NEVER bought into the philosophy that more is better or you get what you pay for in everything as we buy many items that are private labeled products of the very same production line as the Brand name products. Wal-Mart doesn't actually make a single product but yet they are the biggest company in the world with the parking lots of every one of them FULL every time I go by one. Everyone of their Great Value brand products including those in the meat/poultry dept. are the exact very same products of a major brand manufacturer with their meat and poultry being purchased in volume purchased from IBP, Tyson, Excell Corp., Swift, Conagra, Foster Farms, Perdue, Cargil, etc. Same identical products in a Great value or Wal-Mart private label container that one can usually buy at a lesser price.
WARDOG, you paying .44 cents a lb for your feed. If you pay another 29cent a lb and bought Victor, that Great Pyrenees liable to start knowing Kung Fu and start using an assault rifle. Lol! Just kidding around.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

After taxes I pay 28.16 for a 40lbs of Victor Beef and Brown Rice. Dogs do great on it all year round
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Another .29 per pound for something my dogs don't need is in my opinion like throwing $580.00 in the waste basket. My last 40 bag, ton price I paid on 2/19/14 was $838.88 including the tax for 50 pound bags which will last us about 10 months feeding all the dogs I have previously mentioned. That figures to $.41944 per pound. If I were paying an additional .29 per pound that would make it $1418.88 per ton pallet. Even at the additional $.26 per pound that Casey says he can get it for in our area for the exact amount of 2000 pounds I buy at a time it would be costing me an additional $520.00 or a total of $1358.88. In all the feeds I have fed over 60+ years of being around or running/hunting hounds both big and small have I yet to see any major difference in dogs that are kept in good flesh make an impact on the game harvested or the points on a scorecard! NOW, if a feed drags my dogs down to the point of looking or actin bad like the diamond did at one time, I will not feed it regardless of the price. Other than that I will continue to feed the best bang for my buck regardless of BRAND name. AGAIN, I am not knocking or promoting any specific feed but rather merely saying that scientifically dogs need specific amounts of items for nourishment at different stages of their life and it is my OPINION that more of those is not better and actually worse especially when it comes to the pocketbook. If these little hounds were my means of making a living then maybe my opinion would differ but truth be known, about all of us do this as a hobby or for entertainment rather than making a living from them so the extra dollars for my family and I's well being come before any form of entertainment. Just keeping it real!

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Warddog, your talking old school conservative logic, ain't seen that in yrs., thought it had been lost to the ages... :lol:
The old adage, "a penny saved is a penny earned".
Yesterday we went down to see that grandbaby girl, filled up the truck for $3.21/gal, down the road the next station lot was also full filling up for $3.57 /gal., pennys, nickels and dimes don't mean nothing to people any more but they all say they're tight on money while they talk on their $300. cellphone... :lol:
I'm still paying on a house I payed off 15 yr ago, if you know what I mean.
Math is not this country's strong point any more... :nod: :nod:

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I will pay for extra money since I only have two adult dogs... If I was to have 10-15 dogs I would probably feed o'l Roy
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Bachman

Post by Bachman »

Thanks for the information John Way. Ordered some from there when I saw your post and was very simple. Too bad you can make a post like that trying to help others without a math and history lesson. Thanks again.

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

WARDOG, I totally agree with you on getting the bang for ya buck. I just enjoy conversating back and forth with you on dog feed because I know you are as serious bout your feed as I am of mine. There are tons of examples we can compare pricing to such as gas as Patch mentioned. You got regular, premium, super. I can fill up on regular for bout 80$ and super 100$. I choose regular. It may not be better but it gets me where I need to go. I can catch a catfish with a cane pole but I'd rather buy a rod/reel that I like. You are totally correct, dog food are all opinions. I know a guy who still fed joy dog food and I remember when it used to be considered a good feed. He payed like $23 for 50lb bag, now he pays $29.50 for another brand that's in a 40lb bag because he finally come to terms that as much as he enjoyed his hobby he wanted give back to them and noticed a major diff in his dogs.
Like I said, I enjoy talking back in forth with you on feed. I myself have Pride in the past, but found I like the results of Victor a lil more.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

S.R.Patch wrote: I'm still paying on a house I payed off 15 yr ago, if you know what I mean.
Math is not this country's strong point any more... :nod: :nod:
Yep, best part about owning your own home is ya can sit down in any room in your house and prop up your feet, sit back, look around, and see something that needs done. :nod:

Chewy.com is also $8 a bag more on my feed than I get it for at TSC. I guess it is only a deal on certain feeds. Heck, for 8 bucks a bag more I would ship it free too and dump it in your storage containers.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Likem, ya missed the ball all together.
While there's always upkeep to anything ya own, my money plan was once I got the house paid off, I'd keep making the house payment to my own account towards my retirement. I didn't have the money to spend when paying for the house, so I wouldn't miss it if I just kept paying it but only to myself this time. When my kids went to college, I had the money to pay for it. When they got out of college, I took the house payment money and started buying dividend paying stocks and had the dividends reinvested into what they call a "Drip" plan the buys you more stock within the company. When I retire, I'll have them just send the dividends to me as income to live on while the principal stays intact with the company.

I helped a buddy get his place paid off early, he had a weakness for new cars every couple of years. I got him to hold off buying a new car and put the money for the car payment on extra principal payments bi-weekly on the house instead. He paid the house off 7 yrs early. He also had a studio building he owed on, so we took the money for the car and the house that was payed off and put it on his studio payment. Two years and the studio was paid off. Now he's back to buying new cars again but that's the only payments he's got. He says the freedom he feels not being tied down with all those payments is great!

Most people have no idea where all their money goes at the end of the year. Figuring that out is the first step to becoming debt free.

PS... I hope no one thinks i was cutting John Way on his post. I checked it out to see if it could save me some money but it had no advantage over what I had going now. I know prices vary over the Country and where prices are high, this may be the way to go along with the convenience of being delivered to your door.
I do think math and history are very important subjects tho...

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

S.R.Patch wrote:Likem, ya missed the ball all together.
While there's always upkeep to anything ya own, my money plan was once I got the house paid off, I'd keep making the house payment to my own account towards my retirement. I didn't have the money to spend when paying for the house, so I wouldn't miss it if I just kept paying it but only to myself this time. When my kids went to college, I had the money to pay for it. When they got out of college, I took the house payment money and started buying dividend paying stocks and had the dividends reinvested into what they call a "Drip" plan the buys you more stock within the company. When I retire, I'll have them just send the dividends to me as income to live on while the principal stays intact with the company.

I helped a buddy get his place paid off early, he had a weakness for new cars every couple of years. I got him to hold off buying a new car and put the money for the car payment on extra principal payments bi-weekly on the house instead. He paid the house off 7 yrs early. He also had a studio building he owed on, so we took the money for the car and the house that was payed off and put it on his studio payment. Two years and the studio was paid off. Now he's back to buying new cars again but that's the only payments he's got. He says the freedom he feels not being tied down with all those payments is great!

Most people have no idea where all their money goes at the end of the year. Figuring that out is the first step to becoming debt free.

PS... I hope no one thinks i was cutting John Way on his post. I checked it out to see if it could save me some money but it had no advantage over what I had going now. I know prices vary over the Country and where prices are high, this may be the way to go along with the convenience of being delivered to your door.
I do think math and history are very important subjects tho...
Patch, yep ur right in a way saying I dropped the ball u were throwing, but basically I just made a statement referring to owning a home, which is a true statement also, just meaning your really never done paying off your home. Many interpretations can be made from your statement. Also Dads been a banker for over 50 years and I had a budget in place since I was 18 on my 1st job. I know where every penny goes and my cell phone was no where near $300 either but yes my phone is smarter than I am. Your game plan was very smart as im sure u don't need me to tell you that. Being licensed in life, health and annuities and also in the next month or two will be getting my 6 & 63 Securities License, I caught what ya threw after your explanation tho. More should copy the game plan you mapped out, im sure your kids appreciated all your help and also your advice over the years too, as I have from my father.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

warddog

Post by warddog »

Well Patch I guess your old school conservatism showed up real good in your explanation about house payments never ending. About 15 years ago I quit smoking after many, many countless tries using everything possible to no avail. I decided to try the one thing that got my attention more than anything else and that was the MONEY I was spending on cigarettes. I bought a cheap brand of menthol cigarettes at the little grocery store in my little town and the owner and I knew each other. He knew I came into the store and bought several CARTONS of cigarettes each week. One day he asked me if I would continue to buy them should he raise the price, to which I replied "I'll but them if they go to $10.00 a pack!" Well, I didn't know that is what was about to happen as this guy tried to keep the cost down but the price raised three times for the next several weeks! Knowing how much I already spent I decided I would quit but take that exact same amount of money I spent on cigarettes and stick it in a stash. I bought my last carton of cigarettes, put it in the refrigerator and rat holed the extra cash. I was surprised to see how fast my stash built up and the things I could buy. I need to say that I was a heavy smoker of three packs per day and three cartons per week was my norm as I enjoyed everyone of them right down to the filter. Every time I would have the urge to smoke I would go to the frig, get out the carton of cigs and then go get my stash out to compare. This was the hardest thing I eve have done but I did quit and had a real good helper in doing so as my wife loved all the diamonds she got for Christmas with my non-smoking money. I will say that I still have my stash but the buying of diamonds has STOPPED! By the way, my house and 106 acres have been paid off for years with that extra money into my retirement investment account(s) and I retired at the age of 57. YES, I was raised under the philosophy of a dollar saved is a dollar earned and thus my quest for the BEST bang I can get for my buck be it for dog food or anything else. I also spent an entire PUBLIC SERVANT career trying to protect consumers from being fleeced by corporate giant greed of the almighty dollar in their tricky ways to steal a few extra pennies for their products, so yes I do take my dog food as well as my human food very seriously because I have witnessed the tricky little secrets over 30 years of trying to regulate the industry. My concern is not so much in the dog food as I know that a dog that is feed any AAFCO certified feed will survive but rather in the dollars consumers have to pay for products containing the very same nutritional values but are hyped up via labeling and advertising gimmicks such AS Premium or grain free. This my friends is the same as buying "organic", or grass fed or free range meat or poultry like I just witnessed in a whole food store yesterday in Bloomington, IN. where ground beef was $6.99 per pound and a lamb chop was $15.99 a pound and this store was packed.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I started using them. 24/7 customer service and English speaking humans answer the phone. Cheaper than feed store and one less chore on my list!
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

warddog wrote:Another .29 per pound for something my dogs don't need is in my opinion like throwing $580.00 in the waste basket. My last 40 bag, ton price I paid on 2/19/14 was $838.88 including the tax for 50 pound bags which will last us about 10 months feeding all the dogs I have previously mentioned. That figures to $.41944 per pound. If I were paying an additional .29 per pound that would make it $1418.88 per ton pallet. Even at the additional $.26 per pound that Casey says he can get it for in our area for the exact amount of 2000 pounds I buy at a time it would be costing me an additional $520.00 or a total of $1358.88. In all the feeds I have fed over 60+ years of being around or running/hunting hounds both big and small have I yet to see any major difference in dogs that are kept in good flesh make an impact on the game harvested or the points on a scorecard! NOW, if a feed drags my dogs down to the point of looking or actin bad like the diamond did at one time, I will not feed it regardless of the price. Other than that I will continue to feed the best bang for my buck regardless of BRAND name. AGAIN, I am not knocking or promoting any specific feed but rather merely saying that scientifically dogs need specific amounts of items for nourishment at different stages of their life and it is my OPINION that more of those is not better and actually worse especially when it comes to the pocketbook. If these little hounds were my means of making a living then maybe my opinion would differ but truth be known, about all of us do this as a hobby or for entertainment rather than making a living from them so the extra dollars for my family and I's well being come before any form of entertainment. Just keeping it real!
WARDOG, got to thinking bout all these figures. I know we always go back and forth about feed, but it keeps post interesting. I think you stated total of 5 beagles, 1 of your cousins beagle, 2 house dogs, and Great Pyernese. Total of 9. You buy a pallet (2000lb), 40 bags, last bout 10 months for price of $838.88.

My choice of feed ( Victor ), I actually had to down size my serving size when I started feeding it. As of right now, I feed 6 beagles and a 120lb American Bulldog all on same feed. I go threw 90lbs a month. In 10 months that's 900lb. At .73cents a lb it cost me $657 tax and all for 10 months of feeding.

You feeding bout 200lbs a month, I'm feeding 110lbs less a month.
I know your steal feeding a couple more hounds off that pallet, but what I was trying to say is for me on a personal note, I have found this feed more bang for my buck.
BONE BOX BEAGLES