garmin alpha /dc 40

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

khensler01

garmin alpha /dc 40

Post by khensler01 »

what is the weight difference between an alpha 100 and a dc40 collar. Wanting to up grade but afraid alpha is to big and bulky for 13" dogs. Thanks Ken

DIXIEDOG

Re: garmin alpha /dc 40

Post by DIXIEDOG »

The TT10 is almost twice as heavy.....if you run a training collar and a tracking collar there is a weight and size savings but if you only run a tracking collar it will be heavier. That said I've got one small 13" beagle that weighs in at a whopping 16 lbs and she has no issues with the collar weight at all, I've also run them on small pups weighing in at less than 15 lbs and they had no problems with the weight either.

If you're looking to buy new now it might be worth holding off for the new TT15 as it's lighter at under 8 ozs and the price is the same.

khensler01

Post by khensler01 »

That's what I needed to know. I've Been talking to okie dog supply, he told me to wait on the alpha 100 and tt15 but didn't know the weight of the dc 40 .I need to update and will wait.thanks Ken

mjd

Post by mjd »

I wouldnt worry as much about the weight as the collar size .Ive got a 14 7/8 beagle and a daughter of hers a little taller (both 23 #)but they both have small necks and the tt10 wont tighten up enough to fit ,the systems were not mine so im not sure if i could modify it or not but i know both units were slid against the buckle so it couldnt be slid over anymore

Chip E

Post by Chip E »

The new TT-15 should be out in about a week I would wait till they come out if it were me.
Chip E
www.eisenhutdogsupplies.com

andrew_kirby

Post by andrew_kirby »

Even with the tt10 collars they fit my small barely 13 inch females, the stock collars wouldnt fit but Chuck from Plum Creek Kennel Supply hooked me up with some that swap out and work great fits every beagle and even the coon dog. I had the 220 with the dc30s and 40s and the Tritronics Trashbreaker on my dogs prior and am very happy I talked to Chuck and decided to upgrade.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

mjd wrote:I wouldnt worry as much about the weight as the collar size .Ive got a 14 7/8 beagle and a daughter of hers a little taller (both 23 #)but they both have small necks and the tt10 wont tighten up enough to fit ,the systems were not mine so im not sure if i could modify it or not but i know both units were slid against the buckle so it couldnt be slid over anymore

You can drill out the rivet furthest from the buckle and trim the loose flap back that 1/2" or so and it will gain you adjustment. I've done it to a couple myself, works great on smaller pups

Tuff-E-Nuff

Post by Tuff-E-Nuff »

Biggest trouble I have had with the TT10 on smaller dogs is when running long and hard in thick cover they beat the crap out of the front, lower part of there legs, unit is just to big and bulky for smaller dogs, I have had to run a DC40 on my Annie female she hit it so much had sores and swelling on both front legs, I have been using a DC40 on her with no problems, other then that I love the Alpha and now since they came out with the T5 for field trialing planning on getting one soon. Wish Garmin would make them a little more compact.
Tuff-E-Nuff Beagles
Silas/Tracy Damron
FCLP Salem's Willy Nelson
GR R.CH Tuff-E-Nuff Annie
HOF Gr.RCh/GrB.Ch Tuff-E-Nuff Charm
Harrogate. TN.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Tuff-E-Nuff wrote:Biggest trouble I have had with the TT10 on smaller dogs is when running long and hard in thick cover they beat the crap out of the front, lower part of there legs, unit is just to big and bulky for smaller dogs, I have had to run a DC40 on my Annie female she hit it so much had sores and swelling on both front legs, I have been using a DC40 on her with no problems, other then that I love the Alpha and now since they came out with the T5 for field trialing planning on getting one soon. Wish Garmin would make them a little more compact.

I'm not sure it's so much the dog's size that causes them to rub their legs....I think a lot of that has to do with straightness of legs and natural gait of the dog. I'd be all for a smaller unit but only if they could build a smaller unit that had the same or more battery life.

Crow

Post by Crow »

Chip any word on the dimensions or weight difference if any between the tt10 & the 15?

Chip E

Post by Chip E »

The TT-10 and TT-15 are the same in weight and size the only difference is the Tracking going to the new GPS System called GPS/Glonass which is suppose to be better. If you are having trouble with the Collars being to big change the Collar strap out to a 3/4" High Flex Collar and it should fit as it makes it about 1.5" smaller, I include those with every new system.