New to Beagling and forum

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

LoneBeagle

New to Beagling and forum

Post by LoneBeagle »

I'm new to Beagles and the forum. I ran coyote hounds and been around hounds pretty well my whole life. Sold my hounds when my kids were born, couldn't afford to feed both. Now, my son's old enough to start learning about dogs...and rabbits taste better than coyotes (I assume; never ate a yote!)

I bought two reg. female pups from a local guy. He doesn't run his dogs, just breeds. My pups are good looking, smart, eager to learn/ participate, and should be small (one about 11" and one about 12"). I prefer the smaller dogs over the 15". They are 5 months old and I'm looking for some advice. I don't have anyone close (that I know of) to run with, so I'm working on my own. Here's what I've been working on:
-Found a dead rabbit and froze him (Roger)
-Take the dogs out a few times a week to local spots with plenty of rabbits
-I drag Roger around a few times at differing intervals and lengths, they seem to trail and find him pretty easy, heads down and tails ticking
-Run full speed with Roger dragging and let the dogs "sight chase" him and mouth/grab him a bit
-After our little "play time" with tracking and playing with Roger, I walk them around the woods and let them smell things out
-They don't seem interested in coon, coyote, or deer at this point, always stay on "Roger's" trail
-No whimpering or barking on the trail, they don't open up yet

I'm not looking to field trial these dogs, just want good dependable dogs in the field when winter comes. Does this sound like I'm at a good spot in the training? I have considered buying the rabbit urine/ training scent, anyone used this or have thoughts? Thanks.

David Bowers

Re: New to Beagling and forum

Post by David Bowers »

Welcome aboard bud, hope you enjoy all the b/s on here I know I do. Every person will tell you a different way to train your dogs but I would not advise pulling a dead rabbit too much. The dogs will only sight chase instead of using their nose. If you have plenty of rabbits in your area walk them around in early morning or late afternoon when the rabbits are out moving around will help more in my opinion.
Good luck with your pups and keep on working them, if they have it in them, they will start without help.
David
http://sqdawgs.com/LOOK OUT THE WAY HE WENT KENNELS

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Welcome to the board....

I have trained a couple, been following little hounds for 30 plus years. I enjoy talking dogs call me if you have questions, NOT an expert....but had a couple decent hounds and raised and trained a few decent hounds.

Pups can be the most rewarding adventure and at times the most disappointing adventure.....if you trained any coyote hounds you can surely train a rabbit dog...IF they have the instincts to do what they are bred to do.

Find a quality "starting" pen when your pups are a couple months older...keep exposing them to the woods and just let them be pups, exploring....adjusting and the like. Time will tell if they have the instincts to make a decent dog.....actively pursuing scent as you described is a nice starting point. Letting them chew on "Roger" is not bad either. They will use there nose because that is what they are bred to do. Over exposure to sight chases can lead to some regression from tracking, but some need the extra time to really "turn on the switch" in there brain to allow them to track, trail, and open on a rabbit....be patient....expose them to the game of choice and enjoy!!

Again best of luck!!!

LoneBeagle

Post by LoneBeagle »

Thanks guys. Love this forum and the ability to talk dogs! We are headed out tomorrow morning to explore the woods again. Instincts and ability seem to be there, just trying to start them right. With the big hounds I always had my older generation to build on so it's tough to start from scratch.

I don't think there is a starting pen anywhere close. I like the idea of having some control over the situation and having a more captive critter. I have the land, supplies, and ability to build a starting pen. Debating if it's worth the investment to build a pen or simply keep taking them out into the hot spots.

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

I fenced in 3/4 acre and run my pups on a tame rabbit, they are three months old I have a video on here of my pups running. They use their nose to locate and jump if they loose him they know how to find him. They opened up the first time they ran him it made an old mans heart feel good.
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

Most important thing training pups is giving them the time that pup needs. Some start real easy, and some don't. Just keep working. Once they finally get going you'll be extremely happy, and makes the headache easily worth it. It does for me at least.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Keep taking them to the "hot spots" where you see rabbits in the evening. Take you along a chair or stool and have a seat and allow them the time to explore. The whole point of the chair is to get you to be patient and stay still for a while, most people move around and the pups focus is drawn to his master rather than searching and finding game.
Best of luck with your pups.

LoneBeagle

Post by LoneBeagle »

We were out yesterday without the dead frozen rabbit. I wanted to see how they react just working through the brush. They seem to be picking it up pretty well. I was happy to see them work through the honey suckle, around brush piles, and along the edge of the bean field. Their heads were down, tails were up and both seemed to be working a solid track. They by passed fresh deer tracks to stay with the rabbit tracks going from the field to the honey suckle. It rained the other day and I could actually see the bunny tracks in the bean field. To see this was amazing and brought some pride.

It's just so hot right now I'm going to stop heading to the woods. Just work around the pasture areas where the grass is short and the snakes can be seen! Afraid I'm going to get myself or one of the pups snake bit. Neither of us need that kind of moment' :)

Thanks for the encouragement and info.

LoneBeagle

Post by LoneBeagle »

Love the chair idea. I have a folding three leg stool that is perfect for this. I usually sit on a limb or let them explore and trail behind.

We went out about 6 yesterday morning when it was cooler, but still about 80. They hit a track and were full speed for about 30 yards then lost it. They circled and tried again but couldn't quite get it lined out. No bark or whimper just head down run. I gave them attention/praise. We moved to another patch and they explored some more. After about an hour, it was hot and they were wanting to stand at my feet so we came home.

On a side note, they have started barking in the pen. Little dog has a short choppy higher pitch bark. Big sister has a deeper, full bark. I'm seeing small steps of progress and think it will all pay off when they are ready. Just think it needs to be a littler cooler where the brush isn't so thick, snakes aren't as plentiful, and crops are cut.