When to feed dogs?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

R and D kennels

Re: When to feed dogs?

Post by R and D kennels »

If any of you are familiar with coonhound/ greyhound field
Trials and water races bloat is as Common in those dogs as having a yote mess up a good beagle race . I got here through that sport 44 years ago. Feeding times has nothing to Do with it . Like Mentioned earlier it isn't as
Common in smaller Breeds. But I have seen it in
Real life 100's of times. Let me add it is so common many pack a hose with them to races
R and D's Mr Wiz: GRHBCH Little Mighty Ozzy x GRHBCH White River Isabelle

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

Remmy wrote:In the evening after they run.

I never run them right after they eat. I understand that it can cause twisted gut which can be fatal.
That and watching them puke is never fun either.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Dixiedog, What does feeding him before an" HOURS away hunt" have to do with it, you think he eats and then has to crap right away! no time for digestion? yeah, you probably do, and if it does happen to be a 10 hour ride, which I don't think anyone is talking about, how about stopping the car and letting them out, because he may be holding it as a hound should and he should be given some time to relieve himself,what a hell of an idea huh, something else I think you learned today! And well bred intelligent hounds will not crap in their box whether at home or on the road, that is a fact, you seem to think shitting in the box is common, dogs will hold themselves to prevent a mess, at least any dog that is kept by folks knowledgeable enough to understand that they don't have to be cleaning dog crap and puke all of the time, ALSO, I have no doubt that YOU expect YOUR dogs to crap in their box, but you know even though there may be more people like you that expect their hounds to crap in their box, ( I will agree with that) there are also those knowledgeable houndsmen who do not expect it nor will accept it, I guess when yours eats a rabbit in the field he also craps again in the box on the way home, clean that up boy! My opinion once again feed them when you want and run them when you want, If you have to wait several hours after a hunt before you can bring your dog home , get rid of it, another thing if he gets car sick , get rid of it, and oh, yeah, the dreaded bloat, you would think it was as common in beagles as colds are in people, you will never see it in your lifetime , go run them! Now if you want to keep this kind I don't have a problem, just letting some who may believe that all dogs crap and puke in the box that this does not have to be tolerated. You puke and crap boys have all of it you can clean, you seem to like it ! Just my opinion, and to call someone foolish who runs their dogs anytime they want and won't keep hounds that puke and crap in their box is definitely heading in the wrong direction.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Depends on the dog.....some dogs do crap very soon after they eat...others it takes awhile.

I don't have any problems with dogs puking or crapping in my box, then again I do use common sense to make sure it doesn't start. I just find it comical how some folks act like they know all on hounds and others are ignorant or their dogs inferior, whatever helps them feel better I guess.

R and D kennels

Post by R and D kennels »

DIXIEDOG wrote: I just find it comical how some folks act like they know all on hounds and others are ignorant or their dogs inferior, whatever helps them feel better I guess.

Awhile back there was a guy who stated he has 2 certifications in nutrition with emphasis in biochemistry , won 3 worlds in a particular dog sport and a national in two others along with a 5 digit win in a stakes race. He still had opposition on conditioning dogs...lol this is the reason I have a low post count for the time I have been here
R and D's Mr Wiz: GRHBCH Little Mighty Ozzy x GRHBCH White River Isabelle

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Dixie, I am not acting like anything, I am just telling you like it is around my place. I am sure you do have to take precautions with YOUR hounds, I don't. I can just imagine a couple of ole boys stopping by your place unexpectedly and telling you about a honey hole and you standing there crying because you can't go due to having just fed your hounds and they will crap and puke if you move them, but as you say precautions have to be taking with your hounds , that is your opinion and that is your business. My opinion is hounds shouldn't crap and puke in their box and it shouldn't be tolerated. You keep all of the hounds that you want that you have to take PRECAUTIONS with and those of us that will not accept that kind will continue on with what we expect out of our hounds, Do I think dogs that puke and crap in their box are inferior , yes, I do. my opinion of them , you don't like it because you apparently have crappers, I can't help that , but you seem to think that I am not entitled to my opinion of what makes a hound inferior! let it go at that.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I always feed in the evening and never just prior to running. My cousin learned the hard way when he fed a dog he was trying out right before we went hunting. They had a pretty good day in the filed until this dog just quit and came back to us looking pretty pitiful. He could hardly stand so he carried him to the box, took him home and called the vet. After he was home awhile the dog could not stand and would not drink although he was slobbering like a mad dog and appeared to be swollen in the gut. tried a hose down his throat but didn't help. he called the Vet back and was told he would meet us at the clinic. The dog died on the way there which was only about a 20 minute drive but probably several hours after this all started. Vet diagnosis Twisted gut and he stated this happens more than people think although it was the first time for both my cousin and I witnessing it in all our years running hounds. Of course I have never fed mine prior to running as I don't feed myself prior to hunting either. I guess I am like most creatures of nature in that when I eat I do NOT want to get to physically active for awhile and on thanksgiving I like to take a nap after a big meal. Seems that all the shows I see about animals in nature they lay around after making a kill and gorging themselves. Right, wrong or in between scientifically it just makes common sense to me and what I make my opinion on. I cannot say what is right or wrong but only why I have arrived at my opinion through experience over 60+ years of being around hounds. By the way My cousin does NOT feed his prior to running any more either as he paid the man for a dead dog and a Vet bill as well.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

gwyoung wrote:Dixie, I am not acting like anything, I am just telling you like it is around my place. I am sure you do have to take precautions with YOUR hounds, I don't. I can just imagine a couple of ole boys stopping by your place unexpectedly and telling you about a honey hole and you standing there crying because you can't go due to having just fed your hounds and they will crap and puke if you move them, but as you say precautions have to be taking with your hounds , that is your opinion and that is your business. My opinion is hounds shouldn't crap and puke in their box and it shouldn't be tolerated. You keep all of the hounds that you want that you have to take PRECAUTIONS with and those of us that will not accept that kind will continue on with what we expect out of our hounds, Do I think dogs that puke and crap in their box are inferior , yes, I do. my opinion of them , you don't like it because you apparently have crappers, I can't help that , but you seem to think that I am not entitled to my opinion of what makes a hound inferior! let it go at that.

Precautions need to be taken with any hounds....there is no such thing as a hound with no faults unless the owner is kennel blind.

As stated before I do not have dogs that crap or puke in the box but again if it somehow makes you feel better about your dogs to think they are superior have at it.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Ms. GWYOUNG worte
but if you want to keep them fine with me. My opinion , grow up!
OK you said it , so why not shut the Fuc! up and stick ur opion up ur ear . Let them feed when they want & U stay here on the computer giving b/s advice and putting guys down .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

well Dixie, you say your hounds don't crap or puke in the box but you take precautions to see to it that it doesn't happen, and you say precautions have to be taken with ANY hound, this shows what you know ( or don't know) This also tells me that you DO have Pukers and Crappers if not you would not say that precautions must be taken with ANY hound, clearly shows you are not familiar with hounds that precautions don't have to be taken with. Your lack of experience is evident as you say all hounds are pukers and crappers if precautions are not taken. and now who is being the expert , you telling others how their hounds have to be dealt with prior to loading them, excuse me, but I don't think you have met my hounds but apparently that doesn't prevent you from giving your expert advice on them! Wardog, First of all I knew someone would have witnessed bloat in a beagle here shortly, Can you or anyone else prove it was due to feeding , the answer is no, furthermore, If I mention a three headed beagle I am darn sure someone on here will have see one, I expect it!

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

LRpatch, I trimmed my toenails last night and in the process shed far more hound knowledge than you have ever had, you and I have been down this road before, I still don't understand why you don't post your facts in the humor section. But at any rate who is making you read my posts? I am not putting anyone down, I simply told the truth about you. I did call some dogs inferior , that is my opinion of pukers and crappers if you don't like it too bad, you got some pukers and crappers around your place, your mouthing off about it makes me think so! And as far as me letting them feed when they want , just how am I stopping them, what a piece of work! Once more my opinion I know it is going to inflame some who keep pukers and crappers as it has done, it is easily to see who these are that keep this kind. but at any rate feed them when you want and run them when you want, if the puke and crap in your box either clean it up or get rid of them, not all dogs will spoil their box, regardless of what you may hear from those of limited experience! That way when the mood hits you to run you won't have to stay home or clean a bunch of crap out of your box, you can just go run, that is what I do. I am sure I am about to hear some more from the Puke and Crap men, not meant to be a putdown just all I ever knew to call them for the past 50 years, if you guys want to be called " precaution" people or something more politically correct it is o.k. with me just say so!

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

This is really funny... :lol:
Ya'll know GW want some attention, so he'll post putting someone's opinion down then gives his opinion. When you defend your opinion, he fires back he only stated his opinion and you should accept it...
This is the way he get ya'll wound up and gets the attention he so craves, it happens every time... :lol:

gw, just so I can clear up about puking, I never said they did it in the box but when hounds run on full stomachs, It seems many throw up the food they had eaten if taken recently. Another fact is, you know how most guys get upset when they get the hound out of the box and the first thing they do is pee on every bushes, well, if a hound is fed prior to running, he's highly apt to be dropping a load also while he's peeing on those bushes. Nothing like getting the gun and putting on the gear while stepping in crap...lol
It's just common sense and I know you know better. You just want to create a controversial post and gets a 1000 hits... :lol:
Happy Beagling, Tis the Lords day and we should rejoice in all His blessings. :dance:

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

S.R. Patch , I agree some do tend to throw up, is due to a light form of car sickness I said that already. I just don't like dogs that get car sick,( and as far as a man stepping in crap well if he hasn't learned enough to stay out of it he is going to be in it sometime during the day anyway isn't he. Maybe his mommy should go back to step one with the little feller!) not all do that is what I am saying if some do and you want to keep them fine with me. I don't tell any that they have to accept my opinion, but as you stated others defend their opinion it seems to be alright with you as it is with me so why the problem when I defend mine. Do I create controversy yes that is when one learns. Do I want attention, no,do I shy away from giving my opinions because some who are less than knowledgeable may disagree no, My entire remarks here can be summed up quite easily, For those who don't know it ( some have been beagling for years and don't know it) you don't have to own Crappers and Pukers, don't allow those who have only owned crappers and Pukers tell you otherwise, No harm there except that it apparently hurts the feelings of the " precaution people" so be it. One more thing you are right about, It has been getting awful boring here lately, and most will have to admit that, it shouldn't be up to me to have to wake the boys up . I always seem to stir those who know so little though, I am going to work on engaging the knowledgeable houndsmen in the future. just so you will know I do consider you knowledgeable ( I think that is apparent to most) even though I do dis-agree with you at times and you have engaged me at times when I thought a man such as yourself who obviously knows what is going on would not do so, I considered it a bonus! good running to you. P.S. I am glad you mentioned the Lord, it reminds me that soon some will be calling for me to be crucified all because they do not understand that of which I speak, nor can they recognize knowledge, they don't learn a thing, what they know now is all they will know 10 years from now, Pathetic!

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

gwyoung wrote:S.R. Patch , I agree some do tend to throw up, is due to a light form of car sickness I said that already. I just don't like dogs that get car sick,( and as far as a man stepping in crap well if he hasn't learned enough to stay out of it he is going to be in it sometime during the day anyway isn't he. Maybe his mommy should go back to step one with the little feller!) not all do that is what I am saying if some do and you want to keep them fine with me. I don't tell any that they have to accept my opinion, but as you stated others defend their opinion it seems to be alright with you as it is with me so why the problem when I defend mine. Do I create controversy yes that is when one learns. Do I want attention, no,do I shy away from giving my opinions because some who are less than knowledgeable may disagree no, My entire remarks here can be summed up quite easily, For those who don't know it ( some have been beagling for years and don't know it) you don't have to own Crappers and Pukers, don't allow those who have only owned crappers and Pukers tell you otherwise, No harm there except that it apparently hurts the feelings of the " precaution people" so be it. One more thing you are right about, It has been getting awful boring here lately, and most will have to admit that, it shouldn't be up to me to have to wake the boys up . I always seem to stir those who know so little though, I am going to work on engaging the knowledgeable houndsmen in the future. just so you will know I do consider you knowledgeable ( I think that is apparent to most) even though I do dis-agree with you at times and you have engaged me at times when I thought a man such as yourself who obviously knows what is going on would not do so, I considered it a bonus! good running to you. P.S. I am glad you mentioned the Lord, it reminds me that soon some will be calling for me to be crucified all because they do not understand that of which I speak, nor can they recognize knowledge, they don't learn a thing, what they know now is all they will know 10 years from now, Pathetic!

You mean you have a different opinion than others that actually think on their own....must be a trip going through life patting yourself on the back all day. As for stirring the simple folk that know so little with all your amazing hound knowledge good luck finding the person who is just waiting to absorb all your knowledge...I sure hope they've got waders on when they are talking to you because the excrement is gonna get deep :lol:

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Dixie, yes, after encountering someone like yourself I pat myself on the back, I didn't refer to you as simple, but I see I didn't have to you seem to know exactly where you stand! after reading some of your posts allow me to get you on the right start as far as hound knowledge goes, The hair is supposed to be on the outside of one, this should get you started on the correct path and seems to be more than you currently know. I pat myself on the back after every post you make, I am thankful that about ten years of age I moved past your stage of knowledge. Surely after calling me a know it all you don't mind me giving my opinion on what you know, I always try to guess peoples ages, this doesn't always mean a lot but it is something I enjoy, 19 years old right? Oh, yes about that excrement you spoke of getting deep would you say that it will get as deep as the excrement in your dog box after a trip afield?