When to feed dogs?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

z-nail

When to feed dogs?

Post by z-nail »

When do you feed your dogs? Before or after you run them? If before how much time before they run?

Remmy

Re: When to feed dogs?

Post by Remmy »

In the evening after they run.

I never run them right after they eat. I understand that it can cause twisted gut which can be fatal.
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

agreed with Remmy

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

if I do feed them before I run I make sure its 10-12 hours before. I've only seen what we thought was the guts being twisted and it wasn't pretty. Most times I feed after a run....
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

I give my hounds a little sugar before running .
TheJohnBirchSociety

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I'm sure if I fed my hounds before they ran, they would all puke it out or bloat.
Some of the packs across the pond don't feed the day before they run, they say "a beagle should carry it's weight on it's back, not in it's stomach".
What i saw was, they feed a 50/50 mix of kibble and raw meat. Their hounds are hard muscle and thick loin down the back.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

darn funny, as when they feed their- selves in the field, ( deer, rabbit, mice, etc) they don't seem to be puking all over the place and twisting hell out of their guts! And oh, yeah, don't let them get anywhere near a bone! and please don't let them have unsupervised sex! Where in the Hell do you all get this crap from? I know twisted gut happens, it is more rare than lock-jaw! feed your dogs anytime you feel like it and go hunting whenever you feel like it, forcryingoutloud! Most of the time when you see dogs puking it is from the ride, light form of car sickness, get rid of them!

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

One of the beagle magazines had a write up about this not long ago.
The vet that wrote the story recommended feeding no less than 12 hours before "hard" running.
Small kibble was more safe than larger kibble.
The dog food swells up in stomach and can cause twisted gut.

Raw diet would be most safe.

Who rattled GW's chain?
;)

APFII

Post by APFII »

I feed half ration in mourning and half ration in eveening. I run them when ever the mood strikes me to take them out that day.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Lone pine you are about to, I gave my opinion if you don't like it too bad, be an adult for once read it and move on. I don't believe you or most have ever seen twisted gut in a BEAGLE, ( yes it does happen) the Vet you spoke of probably hasn't either, and if he has he shouldn't recommend a change in diet in favor of a change in hounds! My opinion is feed them when you want and if your hounds pukes all over, craps in their box, and gets twisted guts get rid of them, I wouldn't own or breed one, we refer to those guys as puke or crap men. but if you want to keep them fine with me. My opinion , grow up!

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Gastric torsion or bloat is extremely rare in smaller breeds. It's the big dogs that are most susceptible and it is entirely possible for a big dog to have this happen with little or no food in their stomach. I had his happen with a 65 lb. Bluetick coonhound in 1985. Fortunately, I was home when it occurred and I had read a lot about it and so was suspicious that she had flipped her stomach. It was on a Sundaynlate afternoon and it had been almost 24 hours since the dog had been fed. I called my vet who had a young woman who was fresh out of Cornell who was on call. I told her what I suspected and she said she would meet me at the clinic stating if I was correct we had no time to loose. Not only had her stomach flipped by the spleen went with it. I was her assistant and watched her poke a huge syringe into her stomach and drew off nearly a gallon of water before flipping the stomach and spleen back into its rightful position. Once she had it flipped back over she looked up at me and said she was going to try a new procedure she learned in vet school. Something that was done successfully with cows, suturing her stomach to her side. She told me if it healed there she would never have this happen again. Then she said she needed to go to her truck and get her notes to finish the procedure. She had only done this once and that was in vet school! The dog was 7 when this happened, the surgery was a success and she lived to be 12-1/2 and was back treeing coon in a month.

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

Z-Nail, if you were planning on running, I would recommend feeding afterwards. Feeding before hand could cause other issues like bloating, throwing up, mess in your box etc. If you are not planning on running that day, I don't think it really matters long as they get fed. Usually in the evening is a good time, because seems like they get their bellys full and more restfull through the night.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

BB Beagles wrote:Z-Nail, if you were planning on running, I would recommend feeding afterwards. Feeding before hand could cause other issues like bloating, throwing up, mess in your box etc. If you are not planning on running that day, I don't think it really matters long as they get fed. Usually in the evening is a good time, because seems like they get their bellys full and more restfull through the night.
When my dogs hear me pull up from work in the evenings, they all start barking and whining. After being feed, they are quiet the rest of the evening. Totally agree that a full stomach helps them sleep through the night and be relaxed. . Just think, after a big meal don't you ever feel like taking a nap? Lol
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

ken pack

Post by ken pack »

I usually don't run at Night so that's when I feed but I would feed them in the morning if I ran at Night.
Casey Harner wrote:if I do feed them before I run I make sure its 10-12 hours before. I've only seen what we thought was the guts being twisted and it wasn't pretty. Most times I feed after a run....

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

gwyoung wrote:Lone pine you are about to, I gave my opinion if you don't like it too bad, be an adult for once read it and move on. I don't believe you or most have ever seen twisted gut in a BEAGLE, ( yes it does happen) the Vet you spoke of probably hasn't either, and if he has he shouldn't recommend a change in diet in favor of a change in hounds! My opinion is feed them when you want and if your hounds pukes all over, craps in their box, and gets twisted guts get rid of them, I wouldn't own or breed one, we refer to those guys as puke or crap men. but if you want to keep them fine with me. My opinion , grow up!

Hard to believe anybody else out there shares your opinion. :shock: If you feed a dog 10 minutes before taking off for a hunt hours away and he craps in the box I'd refer to that as to be expected and I would refer to the owner as foolish for feeding just before taking off. :nod:

I feed mine in the evening for two reason...1) I believe a dog with out a full stomach hunts better 2) It makes all the dogs lay around all fat and happy during the night :biggrin: