Why do clubs have to be divided!!!???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Blue Chaser

Why do clubs have to be divided!!!???

Post by Blue Chaser »

This just irks me to no end when it comes to style of dog. Our club is primarily older guys who enjoy running brace hounds that are in the 2-3 area on the speed chart. Then we have a few other guys who run dogs like I have that are in the 8-9 area and run ARHA LP to midwest style. Personally, I wouldn't have a brace dog and don't enjoy watching them run. However, that being said, I have no issue with them so to speak and like the fact that these guys enjoy their dogs which is all that really matters. The problem is, these older guys always look down their noses at the rest of us and act like our dogs are junk and ruining the sport. Had one guy ask the other day how the rabbits were on the grounds and I responded by saying there were tons and the club was doing a really good job. I told him we ran about 5 or so that morning and the dogs did great. His response..."well, if you had a really good dog you only need one rabbit". I guess this is a common problem but it still ticks me off to no end. I'm a "you do your thing, I'll do mine" type of guy who doesn't judge people by what type of beagle they run because we all do it for the same reason. Why do some guys have to have that "elitest" mentality? Do you find it's more slow dog guys looking down at fast dog guys or the other way around? Or, is it pretty even? Just curious what others see in their areas.

Casey Harner

Re: Why do clubs have to be divided!!!???

Post by Casey Harner »

Blue Chaser wrote:This just irks me to no end when it comes to style of dog. Our club is primarily older guys who enjoy running brace hounds that are in the 2-3 area on the speed chart. Then we have a few other guys who run dogs like I have that are in the 8-9 area and run ARHA LP to midwest style. Personally, I wouldn't have a brace dog and don't enjoy watching them run. However, that being said, I have no issue with them so to speak and like the fact that these guys enjoy their dogs which is all that really matters. The problem is, these older guys always look down their noses at the rest of us and act like our dogs are junk and ruining the sport. Had one guy ask the other day how the rabbits were on the grounds and I responded by saying there were tons and the club was doing a really good job. I told him we ran about 5 or so that morning and the dogs did great. His response..."well, if you had a really good dog you only need one rabbit". I guess this is a common problem but it still ticks me off to no end. I'm a "you do your thing, I'll do mine" type of guy who doesn't judge people by what type of beagle they run because we all do it for the same reason. Why do some guys have to have that "elitest" mentality? Do you find it's more slow dog guys looking down at fast dog guys or the other way around? Or, is it pretty even? Just curious what others see in their areas.

I'm assuming this is an AKC Club that runs a slower hound correct?? Do they regularly hold brace trials??

Do you and others work and help out at these hunts??
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Remmy

Post by Remmy »

Both of the clubs near me have brace roots.

The club I joined, is the one that really doesn't care what type of hound you have. This club now has an spo trial as well as a brace trial. Some of the guys no longer own hounds, but still help at work parties and trials.

I honestly believe that strictly brace clubs will pretty much die out in the next 20 years. It seems to me that most brace beaglerare senior citizens. Times are changing. Less people now have beagles than ever before. Only the clubs that embrace all (or at least most) styles of beagling will survive for the most part.

IMO. All styles contribute to beagling in a positive way. The more beaglers we have, the better it is for the sport as a whole. I have no desire to jump a rabbit and set hounds on the line ever, that's not my idea of what a rabbit dog should be. But, the men who enjoy it are our dads grand ads and uncles.

Hope your club members come around over time.
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

Blue Chaser

Post by Blue Chaser »

I agree with you Remmy. I think that any type of beagler is good for the sport as a whole and that's what I would like to see others in my club embrace as well. There are plenty of guys who run faster dogs that help out plenty with the club. They do anything from maintenance to stocking rabbits to organizing and managing the largest fundraisers we have. It is primarily an AKC brace club for sure. I have no problem volunteering with the trials but it makes it tough to volunteer at a trial when the guys are ripping your dog apart in one breath, won't allow you're types of AKC trials at the club and then ask for your help with their trials in the next breath. I would love to bring up the idea of running other types of trials there but am pretty sure I would get drawn and quartered if I even suggested it. Just trying to understand the divide among beaglers as I don't get it. I see anyone running beagles as ALL being beaglers and equal regardless of style.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Different views of a rabbit dog and styles is what divides us all. You have trialers following other judges due to the fact some judges like a different style than others. My only advice is to leave that club, create your own or join an existing club. I agree with Remmy I don't think your see many brace trials in the next twenty years.

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Blue Chaser

Post by Blue Chaser »

Casey, I completely get why different people like different dogs and can see why you would follow certain judges and am not questioning that. Everyone is entitled to like what they like and follow who they follow. My question is why do the different styles have to sometimes look down and belittle the style that they may not prefer. I'm not leaving the club as I really enjoy it and there are great running grounds but could do without getting looked down upon. I was just asking if others experience this in their areas and if they see one group doing it more so than others.

S.R.Patch

Re: Why does Government have to be divided!!!???

Post by S.R.Patch »

This seemed real funny to me reading the statements and replies. I changed the title and used the word Government instead of Clubs and it all still fits real well to what we've got today. imho

The old timers built what they got. They have the right to do and say what they want and we can learn form them. But like our Country they have to be somewhat visionaries to not cut off the nose despite their face and look ahead to keep what's made the club great and that is beagling and good sportsmen that balance the boat.
It's like a marriage, both must bend and bow with the prevailing winds that seek to separate the union. The wind may change your course somewhat but the strength in the binding is what keeps from fraying the sails. jmho and best of luck keeping the harmony amongst your beagle brethren. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Here is my 2 cents. These fellow houndsman have more than likely been involved with that style of hound for a long time. A lot of them feel threatened by other styles because they are losing a strong hold as the voice of beagles. With that being said they will eventually have to merge with members that run other styles or the membership will die off and club is gone. It is happening with a club that i know of. So my advise is not to get into a pissing match and support "the club" whether you agree with the style or not. It is becoming next to impossible these days for people to obtain and own club grounds as a start up club due the ever increasing cost of operating one. So continue to support the sport and be a good member and time will tell.
Tom summers

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I have a friend that runs a slower hound and we bicker at each other, but it's all in good fun. I've hunted over his for years and I don't mind them at all.. I let criticism roll off my back .

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

If it's a brace club I can understand why they wouldn't want all the speed guys joining up. Everytime they go to run a member with a rough speed hound will show up and they might as well box up their dogs and leave. I'm not into brace hounds but I don't blame a club that is made up of brace dogs to want to keep it a pure brace club so the dogs all mesh well.

As for only old guys wanting slow dogs that isn't always the case, I'd rather have a dog that is med speed over a crazy fast dog that can't handle the front and needs to be run in a pack so that other dogs can help clean up his mistakes. :nod:

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

All I can say is thank you for the faster hounds ! ;)
TheJohnBirchSociety

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

It may not be an old timer thing, it may just be an older person thing. I can understand why someone may wnat a slower dog as they slow down also.

As far as them being elitests I saw a post on hear a while ago of a video of a brace trial that the person put up as a joke and most of the comments were how the brace beagles are a joke and ruining the bread and the sport.

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I went to a brace trial one time in the late 70s.Not my kind of dog but some of the friendliest people and a lot of people at the trial and also got me to help out in the trial.Very nice club. Remember AKC supported these club strong cause of the great turn out at these trials and the great people at these trials. I seen a lot of old people in there walking sticks some in wheel chairs. When I left that day I would do anything to go back and help out these guys just to see the great smile on there face.I do all kinds of trials and see some of the faces I saw that day.Don t matter what speed of dogs you have or trials you do.I want to see the happy face. Spome people are not happy with any speed of dog.Not saying you re like this. But just move on.

mcardery2k

Post by mcardery2k »

I think it is probably 50/50 on guys hating on styles of dogs. As far as clubs being devided I totally understand that. If you are a club holding field trials there is going to always be opposition. Our club back in the 70'S was a brase club that took in a lot of members who were running UBGF style dogs. After the majority of the members were running the stronger dogs they voted to do away with brace trials & hold UBGF trials. Can you imagine how the older members who started & built that club back in the 40's must have felt? A few years back we had members running stronger dogs who enjoyed UKC & ARHA trials. I want to say there is absolutely nothing wrong with guys running that style dog but when they want to take in members who like their format so they can take control of the club then there is a problem. Once again we are divided. It has nothing to do with being good or bad people. You just have beagles headed in two directions.
In my opinion that is why beagle clubs have to look for members who are interested in a similar format that your club represents. Other problems that come with that is when you vote on trial criteria & participation in the trial the guys who have no interest in that format are not going to be willing to help out.
Just my opinion on why we are divided. I want to say your dog's can be as fast as they can be. I just want them to be good. There are a ton of good fast dogs out there. Being fast or slow has nothing to do with being good. The object for me is to circle the rabbit without losing them.
Mark~
Mark Carder
skyviewsbeagles.com