Strangest Off-Game Chase to Date

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

2barrel

Strangest Off-Game Chase to Date

Post by 2barrel »

I was running five hounds last week when right out of the box I had a off game chase. It was only one dog my 5yr old male who has never run anything but a rabbit. The dog opened up about 50 yds. from my truck. The other hounds didn't seem interested, so I walked over to where the male was barking. As I stood at the top of the hill I watch the dog track up giving tongue to a box turtle. When the dog nudged the turtle with his nose the turtle withdrew its legs and ended the chase. Yes, the dog had a shock collar on but no I didn't see any need of using it.

Newt

Re: Strangest Off-Game Chase to Date

Post by Newt »

Do you run "Traditional Brace" style dogs. How long did it take to circle the turtle. ;)

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Newt wrote:Do you run "Traditional Brace" style dogs. How long did it take to circle the turtle. ;)
ROFLAMO!!!
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

How many checks were there....did he double back at all?
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

You must be running patch hounds ! :lol:
TheJohnBirchSociety

2barrel

Post by 2barrel »

My hunting partner with much laughter and concern is worried that my dog will encounter a snapping turtle.....lol Could knock the hunt out him

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

there was a hound DQ' ed at the PP US championship a few years ago for running an owl.
Big Mike

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I want to see a beagle run a human....
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

KPrice

Post by KPrice »

Casey Harner wrote:I want to see a beagle run a human....
My cousin had a young male that hit a trail in the woods, opened on it hard and ran it right up to a guy's back porch. Race ended at the guy's rubber boots with a deer scent drag tied to the boots. LOL

duckbuster38401

Post by duckbuster38401 »

rabbitatfarm wrote:
Newt wrote:Do you run "Traditional Brace" style dogs. How long did it take to circle the turtle. ;)
ROFLAMO!!!
Too funny, We were running a pack of youg dogs and got on a yote, burnt him up till I knocked em side ways w/ the 20 ga and shocked em all.
Jason McMeen
931-446-1467

kjohn2hunt

Post by kjohn2hunt »

I actually read some where that some dogs got scratched in NKC for running a turtle. Been a couple years.
RC Johnson's Rock'em Sugar
RC Johnson's Rock'em Jack
RC Copelands Super Dooper
GBC RC Peters P&P Jake
Johnson's Hydro
RC Johnson's Rock'em Voodoo
14 others in the making

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Casey, the Saint Clair prison near here runs prisoners with a pack of beagles. Can't watch, but can hear them running, practicing nearly everyday. Said they smell different from other folks because of the food they eat.

warmule

Post by warmule »

ba ck before shock collars my 3 beagles hit something and were burning it up i was standing in the road above them back then the only off game u had any trouble with would be a fox I kept waiting for them to cross the road so i could see what it was they crossed but i didnt see anything looked in the road nothing but dog tracks i finally seen it cross about 30min latter a big lost foxhound best race i ever heard
John 3:16

warmule

Post by warmule »

ba ck before shock collars my 3 beagles hit something and were burning it up i was standing in the road above them back then the only off game u had any trouble with would be a fox I kept waiting for them to cross the road so i could see what it was they crossed but i didnt see anything looked in the road nothing but dog tracks i finally seen it cross about 30min latter a big lost foxhound best race i ever heard :D
John 3:16

jeremy rice

Post by jeremy rice »

was at the ill. state hunt pkc had a dog open once then twice next time he opened it was a big oh squal like he was dying when we finally got to em a turtle had him by the nose and would not let go. That to the date was the funniest things I had ever seen and to think they said box turtles don't bite. Tell that to ol ron orick and see what he says. But Ron has had some pretty memorable casts
RICE'S BEAGLES
Jeremy, Amy
Zack,Ashlee Rice