Branko vs or over weir creek

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

snellingsbeagles

Branko vs or over weir creek

Post by snellingsbeagles »

How do they compare see lots of branko around never any weir creek

gfedor

Re: Branko vs or over weir creek

Post by gfedor »

I would google high rock beagles, tim kahl. He been bredding weircreek long time, before that he ran branko dogs. My opinion, and only my opinion is that both lines have great hunt, grit. Branko line is more hare type of breeding, usally fast, little rough or wide in checks. Weircreek little more conserative, still pushes the rabbit but at a more medium, controlled pace, less nreakdowns. I ran or had branko/northway crosses in the 1990s, great meat hounds, relentless on a rabbit, but I didnt like them overrunning the check area sometimes 50/75 ft. Again just my opinion,

Skip

Post by Skip »

I would say gfedor description is pretty close to what I have seen. I have never owned a Weir Creek dog, but have run with them many many times. Very good line running dogs. The majority of Weir Creeks I have seen have a BIG booming mouth that I love...and hunt to spare. They probably hunt harder than any line I have seen. My favorite Weir Creeks were the ones that were a little to hot for the owners preference....many Weir Creek owners prefer a good medium speed line runner. One of my favorite all time dogs was a Weir Creek hound named Zeeker (Johnnys Rabbit Zeeker). Most of the Weir Creeks dogs I have seen have below average confirmation.

Please understand I am speaking "on average". As a reference, most of the dogs I have are a more conservative version of a Branko/Larsen cross. If I were going to switch lines, I would absolutley consider Weir Creek.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Matt Glomski owns Thunder Run Jdell. He is weir creek bred and he is a freak!!
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

They both have done a lot for beagling. The only difference I my mind would be the speed factor. Both have good noses and brains. Just depends on what you like.

snellingsbeagles

Just lookin at upper medium or lower end fast that can really drive a rabbit almost check free or very short checks

bfoster

Post by bfoster »

snellingsbeagles wrote:How do they compare see lots of branko around never any weir creek
You see lots of Branko because the man and his kennel are still very much active.

The Weir Creek Kennel has been dead and gone for a long time now. Yes, people are still breeding hounds that have distance influences from this kennel and a million others are calling their hounds Weir Creek. But lets be realistic, THEY AIN'T WEIR CREEK!! Just influenced.

Glomskis Thunder Run J-Dell doesn't have a single hound in a 6 generation pedigree that carries the kennel name "Weir Creek".

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

bfoster wrote:
snellingsbeagles wrote:How do they compare see lots of branko around never any weir creek
You see lots of Branko because the man and his kennel are still very much active.

The Weir Creek Kennel has been dead and gone for a long time now. Yes, people are still breeding hounds that have distance influences from this kennel and a million others are calling their hounds Weir Creek. But lets be realistic, THEY AIN'T WEIR CREEK!! Just influenced.

Glomskis Thunder Run J-Dell doesn't have a single hound in a 6 generation pedigree that carries the kennel name "Weir Creek".

I agree, alot of weircreek water down, but check out tim kahl site, high rock beagles, still lime breeding weircreek.

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

Bfoster

J-dell is out of Cruise's Jim Dandy.
Jim Dandy is all Boggie Holler.
Boggie Holler is Weir Creek through and through.

Kimbrel's Kickem Up Kane is mostly Weir Creek as well.

Weir Creek Buzz made FCLP in 1963 I think?
Not many dogs have the weir creek name, but continue to carry the blood!

bfoster

Post by bfoster »

Lone Pine Beagles wrote:Bfoster

Typical response and just what I expected. So how many dogs are you going to ignore in a hounds pedigree just so you can say they're Weir Creek? You just cut out half of J-Dell's influence with your statement above. How about the Woodstock on his dam's side, or should we just ignore that so we can keep calling him Weir Creek.

Provide me with one thing on J-dell and Kane... The % of Weir Creek. That means the % of hounds with the kennel name Weir Creek. I'll shut up from there.

J-dell and Kane are awesome dogs and their direct influences deserve the credit. Not some long ago line of dogs. Get out of the past and live in the present. JD and Big Wheel are the sires of these two hounds and they deserve half the credit (dams receiving the other half). Last time I checked those two didn't have Weir Creek in their names our in their 3 gen pedigree.

If you have to search for it in the pedigree, it is of little importance!!!! But keep selling your dogs based on what someone else accomplished.

snellingsbeagles

What is the deal with all the argumentive rhetoric such hostility and ever wanting need to be right

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

bfoster wrote:
Lone Pine Beagles wrote:Bfoster

Typical response and just what I expected. So how many dogs are you going to ignore in a hounds pedigree just so you can say they're Weir Creek? You just cut out half of J-Dell's influence with your statement above. How about the Woodstock on his dam's side, or should we just ignore that so we can keep calling him Weir Creek.

Provide me with one thing on J-dell and Kane... The % of Weir Creek. That means the % of hounds with the kennel name Weir Creek. I'll shut up from there.

J-dell and Kane are awesome dogs and their direct influences deserve the credit. Not some long ago line of dogs. Get out of the past and live in the present. JD and Big Wheel are the sires of these two hounds and they deserve half the credit (dams receiving the other half). Last time I checked those two didn't have Weir Creek in their names our in their 3 gen pedigree.

If you have to search for it in the pedigree, it is of little importance!!!! But keep selling your dogs based on what someone else accomplished.
Glad I got my hip boots on ! :lol: and I'm not talking about ANDY
TheJohnBirchSociety