PVC flooring what do you think ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kevinbrent70

PVC flooring what do you think ?

Post by kevinbrent70 »

My son and I started our above ground kennel. We built it out of some metal racking I got from work. Its 4ft wide 8ft long with a box built out the end we put wheels and a tounge on it to make it mobile. we havnt decided on the floor yet was thinking of running like 1 inch pvc from side to side and space them maybe 1/2 inch apart with a couple runners in the middle to keep them from bowing. I think its a great idea for keeping the poop out and clean but I told my son I didn't know how good it would be on their feet ? What do you guys think ? has anyone ever done that before ?

deerhost

Re: PVC flooring what do you think ?

Post by deerhost »

I think it would be uncomfortable for the dogs to walk on and I also think some of the poop would get stuck in the spaces. When it does get stuck you would make a mess picking it out or pushing it thrue. If your looking for a cheap alternative try the dura- bench green house plastic flooring. Or maybe even wood slats. I don't like the wood either but it has to be better then the dogs walking on the rounded PVC pipe and easier to brush poop off of. Just my opinion.... Deerhost

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I would look seriously at the flooring in Senecca kennels, Chuck at Plum Creek Kennel supply can sell just the flooring.

good luck!

Dan440

Post by Dan440 »

Farmtek makes a kennel floor it is plastic with 1" holes and is 2' x 4' and cost about $23 a sheet. Thats the only thing I will use
LIVE ACTION KENNELS
FCGD MAUCH ONE MILI
FCGD DAGO VALLEY BULLET
FCGD STARS N STRIPES JR.
FCGD LIVE ACTION MILI'S MAYHEM
FCGD LIVE ACTION RANGER MCDANIELS
FCGD LIVE ACTION ALL DAY ABBEY

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

I also think it would be uncomfortable for hounds to walk on and where you put the runners for support is going to be a dandy place for straw, crap, etc to catch. Put some treated lumber slats in there. 1/2" spacing is not near enough !

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I think it's worth spending a little extra money and buying the plastic coated 12 gauge lobster wire. I think Chip Eisenhut sells it for about 6 dollars per foot for the 48" wide wire and so it would cost about 50 bucks. I don't know what shipping what cost. If anyone has purchased it from chip and had it shipped please chime in here as I am thinking about buying an 8 ft section. I purchased a 50 ft roll about ten years ago when I biult my first above grounds and those runs show no wear after all this time. They are easy to clean and last for ever.....dh