Breaking a dog to lead

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

JacobMcClellan

Breaking a dog to lead

Post by JacobMcClellan »

What are some good ways to break a dog to lead. I work with them daily with the leads but they are still fighting me when I try to walk them. Didn't know if there were any tips anyone has for me or to just keep working with them.

Terry Long

Re: Breaking a dog to lead

Post by Terry Long »

just put him on a tie out and they will break theirself and you will be able to walk them
GREAT PLAINS BEAGLES
http://www.greatplainsbeagles.com
AKC & UKC Registered Gundogs

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

A good quality Prong collar a very good tool.....Just don't keep in on the dog when unattended. Also their are a few Youtube video's on proper use of the prong collar.
Big Mike

duckbuster38401

Post by duckbuster38401 »

When I coon hunted, we use to get a big limb with good brush on it and walk them beside us and shakt it in front of them or swat em on the nose with it. After a few nights I could drop the lead and the dog would just walk beside us. I never had to hold leads on the dogs after that.
Jason McMeen
931-446-1467

stavemillbeagles

Post by stavemillbeagles »

Terry Long wrote:just put him on a tie out and they will break theirself and you will be able to walk them
x2 thats the easiest way i have found
Chris & Yum Yum Wells
http://huntingbeagle.gotop100.com/out.php?id=431

Haters Motivate Me!!

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Terry Long wrote:just put him on a tie out and they will break theirself and you will be able to walk them
Make a stake out chain as long as you need with a ring on each end. Pound a stake through one ring, stretch the chain tight and stake the other end. Attach a drop chain or chains spaced along the length. I like a drop chain, about 18" long with a snap swivel on each end. The dog can lunge but not far enough to hurt himself. The process establishes a point of contact on their neck that you can transition to a leash and then to an e-collar, depending how close and much control you want. If you have multiple drops make sure you have enough distance so they can't fight.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

You walk they will follow on four feet or like a cigarette take them for a drag. They will learn fast.
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

MGT

Post by MGT »

Best way for me also.

briarhopper

Post by briarhopper »

I like to tie em out as well but also my little girl walks every pup and grown dog that comes thru here. She will have em broke quik.