Maravic's Blues Clues

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mark T

Maravic's Blues Clues

Post by Mark T »

This is response to Wells Woods question on my post of my male for sale. It got a little long winded so I thought I would post it here.

Blue was here at my house most of his life, I'd guess at least 8 of his 11 years. I ran him quite a bit when he was young and liked him the best of all the young dogs Vic sent me here to run. He was an absolute cupcake in the kennel, never made a peep. I hunted with him all over the northeast, NY, NH, VT and Maine he went every time the truck left the driveway. Vic gave me his dam FC Maravics Blue Moon for the last 3-4yrs of her life and Blue had a lot of his mothers traits. The first and most glaring was their insatiable hunt. I mean hunt with no care of there own well being. They were tough as they come, Mooner would run all night long, and still be running when I went out in the morning at 10 or 11yrs old. He ran with fast foot speed by LP standards, maybe not as fast as Timberjack, but he wouldn't be left behind in any pack, top 5 anywhere. His trialing career was brief, not his fault, he was never hurt. He had several places in LP, SPO and SPO-H, however his prime year(s) would be when he was 3, 2005. As many know up here in the NE that is the year of "The great rabbit famine". The year clubs all over the NE could no longer import hare from New Brunswick. Between this and my oldest son being born that year Blue didn't get much of a chance to compete. Thus, his lack of a title was not due to his ability, or lack thereof. He had a loud squall that would change to a hard chop. He was bred maybe 10-15 times. Only 1 or 2 females were "outside" the kennels of Vic or myself. That's counting Stub's bitch Nikita, he lives 1/4mile from my house and he hunted and ran with Blue as much as anybody else next to Vic and I. Only a couple of his pups went to trials, the most recognizable of course is Blue Bay. I still have 3 daughters here off him, one a sister to this male and 2 sisters off my Banshee, she is a littermate to Side Hill Keuka Blue. They all have the same incredible hunt and desire that their sire and granddam possessed. I took Blue back to Vic at the start of last winter, he was starting to fail and Vic has heated kennels. That and I didn't want anything to happen to him here in the winter, my boys, ages 8 and 6 now, were quite fond of old Blueman and to be honest I got very attached to him as well, something that don't happen very often. He passed away in April of 2013 at Maravic's Kennel. Sorry for the long story but I get dozens of calls a month about him or any of his pups. If I get time I will try to post some pictures of him, if I can figure out the scanner. He was one of my favorites

WELLS WOODS

Re: Maravic's Blues Clues

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Sounds like a special hound!
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

MGT

Post by MGT »

Good post.

Remmy

Post by Remmy »

Thanks for your post.

I really enjoy reading first hand accounts of great hounds.
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club