pup sick

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Jeremy Mapes

pup sick

Post by Jeremy Mapes »

Need some help here guys. Got a 5 month old pup that is sick. Won't eat or drink and acts very sluggish. Any ideas? He was fine and full of energy before this.
Dry Creek Kennel-Bred to get it done where it counts the most "under the gun".
RIP FC Buckeye's Big John
PCH HBCH Dry Creek Stroke Of Genius
DCK Bounty Hunter
DCK Queen Of The Cage (Rousey)

S.R.Patch

Re: pup sick

Post by S.R.Patch »

Check temperature (101 normal) and check stool for diarrhea or blood. If ya got some Pen-G or amoxaicilin a couple cc. won't hurt till ya get him to the vet tomorrow. A little gatoraide or sugar water to keep him hydrated. I keep a 60cc syringe for this. Watch for vomiting.
They don't eat alot while it's so hot but he should be taking liquids. Are the shots all up to date? an has been wormed out?
Best of luck.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Parvo?
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

try either albon or get some liquid sulmet mix small amount liquid dyne this will help cure coccidiosis if thats what it is you see results over night. theres a vaccine resistant form of parvo going around had friend in ohio have it use NEOPAR vaccine can give as early as 4 weeks then 6 weeks or do 5 weeks then 7 weeks then you can switch back to fort dodge 9 weeks 11 weeks 14 weeks using a 7 or 8 way this will cover the three strains of parvo most common and the new one. NEOPAR is $28 to 30 dollars for 10 dose vial works. I know a guy in new york lost 2 fully vaccinated litters sent a dead pup to cornell was the new parvo Switched to the NEOPAR vaccine like i desribed above no more problems NEOPAR is not affected by the moms maternal anitibodies interfering and is safe to use at 4weeks of age if you can get tamiflu in them early and fluids has been known to work

Jeremy Mapes

Post by Jeremy Mapes »

Current on vaccinations and wormer. I gave him a dose of safeguard tonight and have been forcing water down with a syringe. He has some diarrhea, no blood in it though.
DCK Bounty Hunter

Jeremy Mapes

Post by Jeremy Mapes »

Gave him some tamiflu and he vomited it back up a couple minutes later.
DCK Bounty Hunter

Mhouse

Post by Mhouse »

Sounds like coccidiosis! Get the pup to the vet or it will die quickly! I had three pups get it about ten years ago. My dad's died quick. I got mine to vet and after IVs and meds mine pulled through!!
MEADOWWOOD'S BEAGLES

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Try pedialyte; it will give him electrolytes and back on his feet. All that water he is vomiting up.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

Jeremy Mapes

Post by Jeremy Mapes »

Took him to the vet. She thinks its a gastrointestinal problem. Could've maybe got into something or may be a viral thing. Got antibiotics and nausea pills. Hope it works. This is the best pup I've had in years.
DCK Bounty Hunter

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

It sounds like he is dehydrating give hime pediacare for babies it will hydrate better than water. Had pup with parvo years ago that is what vet reccomended.
Good Luck, Tom

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

GARDIA TO OLD FOR COCKCIDIOUS SPELLING
BIGDOGPACE

Latch44

Post by Latch44 »

This sounds like what we had this past winter in our Golden Retriever. The vet called it gastroenteritis which they suspect he had ate something (cat crap or calf crap) from our barn. They kept him over night on IV to keep him hydrated and put him on antibiotics and he has made a full recovery.