Garmin Alpha Update - Plz Read

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

OKIEDOG

Re: Garmin Alpha Update - Plz Read

Post by OKIEDOG »

For the others on the thread having issues: I apologize...I've been UNABLE to log on. I've been working with Bev. Now, I can post...but then I have to back all the way out to see if my post 'made it.' Bev and Chris are working on the issues with the board. So, while I can post, try these tips:

1) complete a master reset...then reload software using webupdate to see if it fixes it.
2) the shut-down issue described is what was going on previously. Try resetting your system and reloading the newest version through webupdater and see if that fixes it.
3) My wife likes the 'battery save' feature. I hate it. That's a preference thing. Screen locking your Alpha is the only way to ensure you don't bump it and change a setting since it is a touch-screen. Battery save won't do it since to resume seeing your screen you have to touch the Alpha screen. I've helped many a person that's somehow changed something in the field and didn't understand what happened. It's just an issue of having a touch screen...that's why iPHones and droids all lock or 'sleep.' I've noticed the Explosionproof cover I've tested helps with the touch screen sensitivity without having to lock your screen. But, overall, locking is the best way to avoid changing something while in the field.
4) Cases do help! Especially those that have a 'ridge' which makes the Alpha screen a little more recessed. Anything that puts your chest or your pocket a little more distant from the touch screen of the Alpha is a good thing.

Again, my apologies for late posts...I could read it all but just could not get logged on. Hope this post 'takes.'

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
918-633-3519
www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

i cant get updater to recognize my collars? had the worst time getting the remote to pull up. Any ideas whats im doing wrong? Im on the find device page and ive unplugged and plugged it back in numerous times.

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

Blue: Give me a call: 918-633-3519. Make sure your collars are fully charged when you call and you have internet access. I'll help you walk through the update and we'll figure out what's going on together. I'm available today-anytime.

Thanks,
Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
918-633-3519

bluecollar beagler

thanks for the help today mike. Very much appreciated!!!

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I did the master reset today and ran the Webupdater to re-install the latest software. I'm not sure if it is going to help or not but I plan to go out tomorrow so if it didn't I'll know soon. :nod:

cut2dchase

Post by cut2dchase »

Did master reset,updated HH and collar with latest versions.
Still freezing,slowly fades and shuts down. :angryfire: :angryfire:

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Guys I had more freeze ups than you could imagine!! When I quit locking my screen they STOPPED.... I am confident there is a connecting issue with the screen lock.

I bought a case from Chuck Prather made by Dans and it does a pretty good job of keeping your screen from getting touched alot.

Good luck...believe me it is frustrating. I have NOT had a lock up since I quit locking the screen.

cut2dchase

Post by cut2dchase »

BC, I never lock my sreen, have unit in a case (gizmo vest) which would make it
very unlikely that it could accidently lock itself (power then the lock icon).
Thanks for your reply.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Try taking off your dog alerts. if you haven't already. that one gets it complicated as well.

Good luck

R and D kennels

Post by R and D kennels »

Here is a question. Why are we paying 1500.00 for a system with all these cute features and we have to disable them to to get everything else to work properly. To me, this is like buying a new car and we have to shut off the ac/ or heater to get it to run. I bought the alpha 100 tt15 with 2 extra collars one one truly updated the other two says they are up to date. I am skeptical that they are.
R and D's Mr Wiz: GRHBCH Little Mighty Ozzy x GRHBCH White River Isabelle

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

Big River: I have been talking to Garmin engineering...

Tt10 collars are on version 2.70 through Garmin Webupdater.

Tt15/T 5 collars are on version 2.30 through Garmin Webupdater.

So, depending on the collar you have, your newest version will be either 2.30 or 2.70.

I said I would update once we received clarification just wanted to make sure I let everyone know.

Thank you
MIKE FRANKLIN
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
918-633-3519
www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

The new update didn't do a thing for me. I did the master reset and loaded the latest version again with the webupdater. After the first lock up around 1/2 hr into my hunting this morning I decided to give it a shot not locking the screen.....it didn't help the unit still locked up.....my dog alerts are off also. I had to restart my handheld 5 times this morning and I was only hunting for 4.5 hrs.....the latest update seems to cause me to have even more lockups....it used to be maybe one a trip but now it's more like one an hour.

I'm just glad it doesn't lose signal with my dogs or their tracks on the map.....it's almost time to bust out the beep beep again....this constant software issue has got me nervous.....it seems to be getting worse instead of better. :ashamed:

Big River Beagles S

Post by Big River Beagles S »

Well my unit quit locking up and shutting off but went on hunting trip and now says battery is 100 percent all the time so battery wont charge called garmin on Friday went thru everything they say its a hardware issue internal chip. So had to send a collar in 2 weeks ago cost me 75 dollars now this i am torqued to say least. Never had any issues till updated to 4.0 then 4.1 now they say they have 4.3. The gentleman i talked to did say he would replace for free do to all the trouble I've had especially after i told him unit isn't 2 yrs old and i had they old beep beep systems for yrs with no issues i am not at all pleased

bluecollar beagler

i updated mine before i left for the u.p. hoping it would solve my problems of constantly losing communication w my collars along with buddies im tracking... well it didnt help at all. if anything its worse. I was tracking two buddies and every few seconds i was losing them along w constantly losing both dogs every few minutes. All my handheld done for three days was beep lol. anyone else having similiar issues? we had four other guys w us using alphas and mine was the only one w this problem.

Another issue i had happen was dogs were circling a hare about 170 yards to my left. As they were coming around infront of me i noticed my dog on the handheld was still to my left but i could hear him pounding infront of me as they circled. i thought he might of lost his collar in brush so i made my way to spot on remote and started toning it trying to find it. in the meantime they circled it back around on me and i called him to me and it was on him. the whole time my remote said the collar was 24 ft from me!!!!! dont know what went on there. I took collar off and turned everything back on and after that it was ok

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I would recommend turning off your alerts, tones and all.

Are you using your longer antenna at the handheld? It makes a difference. Just some suggestions.