Garmin Alpha Update - Plz Read

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

OKIEDOG

Garmin Alpha Update - Plz Read

Post by OKIEDOG »

Been having trouble getting onto the board and have been working with Bev to get back on. Thanks Bev! So, this post is a few days late, but, important.

There is a NEW Alpha update, version 4.10. If you own an Alpha, please update using Garmin Webupdater: http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater

The new version fixes the glitches and the automatic 'power off' that some users were experiencing. HOWEVER, you must update your collars (dog devices) also! If you do one and not the other, it's going to be a bit 'glitchy.'

Been working the version 4.10 and it's not powered off or 'lost' collars at random. Yippeee!!!

Thank you for your support. We can't do this without you!

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
918-633-3519
http://www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com

PS: at a trial this weekend...call with questions and I'll get to you as soon as I can

BCBeagles

Re: Garmin Alpha Update - Plz Read

Post by BCBeagles »

Thanks for the update....I will load mine up today!!!

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

this cleared all my collars off so I will have to reload them all....do it when you have a few minutes.

Thanks!!

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I went to update collars and it said they were up to date?

Thanks!

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

BCBeagles wrote:this cleared all my collars off so I will have to reload them all....do it when you have a few minutes.

Thanks!!

Same thing happened to mine on the last update, lost all my collar info and my other hunter connections. :mad2:

Thanks for the info on the update, I'll make sure mine has it. I suffered a power down last weekend....I updated mine about a month or so ago

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

The problem with the collars clearing was reported to Garmin immediately (just couldn't post on the board...been working with Bev to fix that issue!). Not all Alpha users are experiencing that problem. A new patch was put in. The current version, 4.10 fixes the issue, however, we are testing another update (4.11 test went well with a couple noted exceptions so that's been worked on and a new test is under way).

Keep reporting issues. Even if we can't post...we monitor the forum for reports and pass it along. We also test everything Garmin is sending down the pike since we run just about every day. Garmin is listening.

Just remember: Current HH version is 4.10...use Garmin Webupdater ONLY. Current receiver update version is: 2.30. If you update one and not the other, things are not going to work right. Use Garmin webupdater ONLY to update all your collars as well.

Thank you all for your input!

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
918-633-3519

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

The problem with the collars clearing was reported to Garmin immediately (just couldn't post on the board...been working with Bev to fix that issue!). Not all Alpha users are experiencing that problem. A new patch was put in. The current version, 4.10 fixes the issue, however, we are testing another update (4.11 test went well with a couple noted exceptions so that's been worked on and a new test is under way).

Keep reporting issues. Even if we can't post...we monitor the forum for reports and pass it along. We also test everything Garmin is sending down the pike since we run just about every day. Garmin is listening.

Just remember: Current HH version is 4.10...use Garmin Webupdater ONLY. Current receiver update version is: 2.30. If you update one and not the other, things are not going to work right. Use Garmin webupdater ONLY to update all your collars as well.

Thank you all for your input!

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
918-633-3519

retired4now740

Post by retired4now740 »

When I updated mine about 2 months ago I lost all 4 collars, went through each one and reastablished conection with the hand held. I updated a few days ago and my collars were all fine. Good job Garmin, and all involved with R & D.
Life is too short to run UGLY DOGS

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Well I have the 4.10 version...updated all my collars and my handheld froze twice today. I'll pull the handheld up and when I look at the screen it's about 3/4 brightness and once I hit the power button to unlock it my unit shuts down. Whenever this happens I lose the miles and average speed of my dogs but the tracks stay on the screen. I've been happy with my Alpha but the odd shutdown with the freezing sucks. :blackeye:

andrew_kirby

Post by andrew_kirby »

Mine started doing this after I loaded birdseye. One thing that I did other than update to the latest version was delete old tracks for myself, the dog, and archives. when looking through my memory I noticed that it was 75% full of old tracks and info and my archived tracks since when I got the unit I deleted all that stuff and havent had the issue the last two times out. I also keep the power save option off and dont use screen lock.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I always use screen lock....I didn't until I had the handheld sitting in my hunting jacket pocket and the screen was touched several times deleting multiple dogs. :shock: Now if it's not in my grubby mitts the screen is locked to be safe. :nod:

andrew_kirby

Post by andrew_kirby »

Mine always hangs around my neck so I have never had a problem so far. However OKIEDOG do you know if garmin recommends a certain speed class SD card for the alpha for use with the birdseye.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Since I quit using screen lock mine has NOT frozen.....I really believe that is a key to.

When it gets hit in your pocket on lock it tries to respond...I think that was an issue.

Just my opinions and what has worked for me. I kept power save feature on...don't ever lock my screen. I keep mine in a nice case Chuck Prather had the folks at Dan's make...it works very, very well.

Good luck...believe me I have had my share of issues...still love the system.LOL.

Big River Beagles S

Post by Big River Beagles S »

Well downloaded 4.1 to handheld and went to update tt10 collars they saue already latest software no updates found ans they r version 2.7 so i called garmin and this is latest version so i have no idea what version 2.3 is that okie is talking about

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

Big River: At the time of the update, we were on version 2.3 for the receivers. If I could've logged on, I would've informed others of the most latest update version! I have checked and 2.30 is what my webupdater is saying it is installing. Since you've brought up a version 2.7, I will check with Garmin to find out what's going on. I'm actually on a different version altogether since I"m doing testing for Garmin, so I always go to webupdater to see what version the techs have loaded. Right now, I see version 2.30. IF I can log on later, I will update this thread with the latest version using webupdater.

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com
918-633-3519