UPDATES AVAILABLE FOR THOSE WITH GARMIN ALPHA OR ASTRO SYSTM

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

OKIEDOG

UPDATES AVAILABLE FOR THOSE WITH GARMIN ALPHA OR ASTRO SYSTM

Post by OKIEDOG »

I apologize for not posting previously. I've been forbidden for sooo long now and Bev and Chris have been working to get me on. So far, I can log on this morning, so I'm posting all I can.

There are new updates for the following Garmin systems/collars:
Garmin Alpha
Garmin Astro 320
TT 10
TT 15
T 5

The updates fix some issues, but, those with multiple dogs on a system benefit by some added 'channels' (id's) to limit interference. The one thing I did notice after updating was my compass was all squirrely. This was easily corrected after re-calibrating my compass. Other than that, all the items updated are working fine. There is also an optional Time Zone Map update-you don't have to check it, we do...but it's optional. I didn't notice any issues whether I updated or not.

Thank you all for your support. We appreciate you.

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com
918-633-3519

Smoke'n Mack

Re: UPDATES AVAILABLE FOR THOSE WITH GARMIN ALPHA OR ASTRO S

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

I got a question maybe someone in the know can answer. Should I be able to track a TT15 with an Astro 320 and an Alpha at the same time? I was under the assumption that I could based on the release notes.

My buddy bought a tt15/alpha combo. We hunted together last week and if he was tracking his collar, I couldn't pick it up. If he shut off his tracking, my Astro picked it up immediately (and vice versa). Seems this wouldn't be as intended.

birmi1nr

Post by birmi1nr »

Unless they came out with some type of update as far as I'm aware you cannot track a TT15 collar with an astro only the T5 collar, as the T5 colar is a tracking only collar were as the TT15 has both track and shock. Also you cannot track a T5 collar with with both the alpha and astro at the same time.
CEREAL CITY KENNELS
FCGD CEREAL CITY WANGO TANGO
FCGD CEREAL CITY OOH LALA

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

birmi1nr wrote:Unless they came out with some type of update as far as I'm aware you cannot track a TT15 collar with an astro only the T5 collar, as the T5 colar is a tracking only collar were as the TT15 has both track and shock. Also you cannot track a T5 collar with with both the alpha and astro at the same time.
Thanks. I figured this out in the mean time. Definitely cannot track the collar with both an Alpha and the Astro at the same time, which explains why I was having trouble. However, you can track the TT15 with the Astro and Alpha both, you just clearly won't have the ability to shock if you are using an Astro. Kinda makes the TT15 pointless for Astro users unless of course you plan to upgrade the handheld in the future.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Does this update fix the unit lock up issue? I'm leery of adding updates because it seems like with each set of updates my handheld tends to lock up a bit more....2 or 3 times isn't uncommon in a trip.

TNT Kennels

Post by TNT Kennels »

Mine also locks up then screen goes blank and I lose all my info for how far dogs went. I track both TT15 and TT10 on mine.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

The crappy part is I only had a lock up about once every 5 or 6 trips.....then 2 updates ago it got way worse...the last update didn't help. I still like my Alpha but dang it's annoying that it's not as dependable now as it was 2 yrs ago when I bought one of the first ones out. :blackeye:

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

To smoke'n mack and others regarding the T5 and TT 15 and Astro/Alpha.

The TT 15 works on the Alpha 100 and the T 5. Using a T 5 on an Alpha will work as a tracking collar only.
The T 5 works on the Alpha (track only) and the Astro 320. Using a TT 15 on an Astro 320 will make the TT 15 function as a track only collar since the Astro 320 handheld has no ability to shock.

You cannot track a T5 and/or a TT 15 using both an Astro or an Alpha. You have to pick 'one master controller' only. I run a TT 10, T 5 and TT 15 on my Alpha unit. If I use the Astro, I cannot use the TT 15 and T5 on the Alpha (at the same time).

The TT 10 will not cross to either Alpha or Astro.

Hope that helps.

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

To those with issues before updating to the 4.40 version (most recent)...

First, I'll be the first to agree that two updates ago, it was AWFUL. It was just a bad mix, but Garmin fixed it quickly. They listen to all our feedback (from us and all of you as you share with us we share with them).

Second, the 4.40 update (most recent) has helped tremendously with screen issues and other issues. However, if after you update, you experience an issue, perform a master reset on the handheld. You need to make sure you are using Garmin webupdater only. Alot more people have been more pleased with the latest update. I'm one of them although I did have a really weird thing happen with my compass, but, a reset and a calibration fixed it.

Remember, these units are like computers. They need regular tending to and they can be canterkerous for no good reason. But, Garmin is always willing to help and we at OKIE DOG SUPPLY will do all we can to help you too.

Thank you,
Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com

Mhouse

Post by Mhouse »

How do you do a master reset of the handheld? I knew how to do it on an Astro but not on an Alpha.
MEADOWWOOD'S BEAGLES

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

This is going to sound weird, but, it works.

Turn the handheld off. Hold a finger on the upper left side of the screen and push down on the screen. Dont' break it...just hold it pretty firm. It has to be the upper left section of the screen.

With the other hand, hold your power button until you see the Garmin sign. Once you see it, let go of the screen. And wait. Eventually you will see 'do you want to reset all data?' on the screen. When you do say YES.

The master reset will generally remove your dogs so you will have to re-add them. Double check your system version (got to setup, then about). Your handheld should say version 4.40 (most current version). If it does, great. Make sure your collars are all current then add them back. Make sure your collar id is 4-0 or higher and that each collar has at least 3-4 channels between it. So, for example: Orange will be 4-1, Red should be 4-5, Blue should be 4-9. Etc... Keeping the collar id out of the 1, 2, and 3 range eliminates interference from small wave items (cell phones, radios, etc...). Keeping 3-4 channels between each collar helps eliminate interference between the collars. And, this is strictly my opinion...it seems that some channels work better in some areas than others. I have great luck in the 5-0 range, but problems with collars in the upper 4-0 range. I'm near a highline and that may be the reason.

So, once all the id's are done and collars married up, set-up your training buttons and then one last thing...go into setup, system, select gps, and change the setting from 'normal' (the default) to waas/egnos. Waas/egnos setting uses ground and air gps signal to triangulate position. I have found, in my area, it helps keep communication with the collar and it helps me know exactly where the dog is.

Hope this helps...

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Mike,

Thanks for posting that. I did my update today. After doing the handheld I plugged in the collars. I had updated them about
6 weeks ago. Updater said they had the latest version so I thought I was good to go. Turned all collars on and found out
I could use the tone button but neither stimulation button worked on any of the collars.

Removed all collars from hand held and reconnected them. Still the stimulating buttons didn't work. Tracking and tone were fine. Removed all collars again, reinstalled the latest update on each collar and then did the master reset and followed all your instructions step by step. Voila! Everything back to normal. Thank you very much!!

Hare Chaser

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I loaded the update today as well, I'm running dogs tomorrow so I'll know soon if it fixes the freezing issue. Hopefully it fixes that :nod:

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

No freezing yet....I got my fingers crossed it stays that way. :D

msc4570

Post by msc4570 »

Thanks for all of this information Mike. I purchased an Astro this summer and just found this thread. While I haven't yet experienced any problems, I'll be getting to work on the software updates immediately.