Happy Thanksgiving from Alaska

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

New York Hillbilly

Happy Thanksgiving from Alaska

Post by New York Hillbilly »

I finally moved out of New York!! As unbelievable as this may seem for those who have heard me gripe about winters over the years, and me wanting to escape to warmer climate, I did it. I now live in Alaska!!! hahaha Better stated, we did it. The wife and I shoved all we could in her Rav, drove cross country from upstate NY to Bellingham, Washington. From there we took a ferry to Haines, Alaska, then drove the AlCan highway over the mountains to Anchorage, then on to the Kenai, Peninsula. This is where I will call home until the good Lord guides me elsewhere. So from Alaska....Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Still......NYH.....Peace!
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

Bevel Down

Re: Happy Thanksgiving from Alaska

Post by Bevel Down »

Welcome,
My brood & I moved from the Catskills to Fairbanks back in the '80's.
According to Wonderground today -- Fairbanks ~ 7 below, Soldotna ~ 20 above & Sangerville only 6 degrees warmer at 26 above...
Well anyway, again, welcome to Alaska!

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

Happy Thanksgiving to all also. Was in Alaska last year for the 1st time. An incredible place. I think the ocean intrigued me the most..... or maybe it was the mountains. Anyway we're going back. The Kenai is on our bucket list. Talked to several people who said Valdez is great. They confiscated my fishing pole on the cruise ship but I got is back. Casted for Kings under the gang plank in Juneau. Kept seeing them role until I realized it was a seal. He caught way more than me.

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

Oh man!!! We went to Alaska for 10 days. Fell sooo in love with it, we actually looked at buying land and moving! My wife still dreams of it. We fished and fished and fished and fished and fished and fished some more! We were out past Hope, AK and went to the Kenai (you will LOVE IT) and out to the penisula and out into the Gulf of Alaska, etc...

I still dream of Alaska. Remote. Beautiful. Amazing. Breathtaking and the fishing is world class! You will fall in love with the Kenai. It's mesmerizing. We cooked trout on a river bank.

Well, I could go on forever. But, you will love the Kenai. We used an outfit called Angle 45. They were MORE THAN accommodating. Jason was the main guide and he's awesome.

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

NYH,
Do you have your hounds up there and if so, are you running arctic hare?
How is the population and how do they run?
Would love to see a video of them running up there if you have one.

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

OKIEDOG wrote:Oh man!!! We went to Alaska for 10 days. Fell sooo in love with it, we actually looked at buying land and moving! My wife still dreams of it. We fished and fished and fished and fished and fished and fished some more! We were out past Hope, AK and went to the Kenai (you will LOVE IT) and out to the penisula and out into the Gulf of Alaska, etc...

I still dream of Alaska. Remote. Beautiful. Amazing. Breathtaking and the fishing is world class! You will fall in love with the Kenai. It's mesmerizing. We cooked trout on a river bank.

Well, I could go on forever. But, you will love the Kenai. We used an outfit called Angle 45. They were MORE THAN accommodating. Jason was the main guide and he's awesome.

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
http://www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com
I will have to get a hold of you Mike when we get closer. In the mean time I'd like know also if the hounds made the move?