Yotes

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Dale Pea

Yotes

Post by Dale Pea »

Been reading the topic on trapping yotes. If a guy wanted to get into this, not to deep, what/where would he start? I mean is there a web site or a book of some kind that would tell you what you need to get started?

beaglestotrack

Re: Yotes

Post by beaglestotrack »

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

It's getting kind of late to get started for this year. Not impossible, but .... There should be lots of information on the web. Google "dirt hole sets" or "scent post sets." Those are the two most common for canines. Check you game department rule book for what is legal. They may also point you to some help. If legal, snares might be your best bet. Materials are cheaper and all you need to locate is a trail--there are no sets to learn. For trapping equipment, you'll need proper size traps, some type of dye, trap wax, a trowel for making sets, pan covers, to keep dirt out, a sifter to re-spread the dirt over the trap, stakes, swivels, scent lures, fox or coyote urine, gloves, and a basket or other container to keep traps clean. You can sell the 'yote un-skinned to a local fur buyer. Hope that helps.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

LoneBeagle

Post by LoneBeagle »

Dale,

There have been some good videos on Youtube about trapping in general and trapping coyotes. Some things work, and some don't. Most important though, don't give up. Trapping takes time, lots of time. You will learn little things along the way that work for you and your area. Be patient with yourself and your trapping. Sometimes, ya just get lucky. Happy trapping friend!

Chad

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

TheJohnBirchSociety

msc4570

Post by msc4570 »

I bought some traps a few years ago as I have always been interested in it even though nobody I know traps. I caught a few raccoons but not any coyotes. My biggest problem wasn't finding info because everyone on the trapping websites was always very helpful. My problem is that I do not live close enough to areas that I can trap. I had to fit my trapping in on weekend trips up north. Not very conducive to success.

So I deal with the coyotes by hunting them . I've had some luck, its definitely exciting when they come in to a call, and I'm saving rabbits (and beagles) to boot.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

msc4570 wrote:I bought some traps a few years ago as I have always been interested in it even though nobody I know traps. I caught a few raccoons but not any coyotes. My biggest problem wasn't finding info because everyone on the trapping websites was always very helpful. My problem is that I do not live close enough to areas that I can trap. I had to fit my trapping in on weekend trips up north. Not very conducive to success.

So I deal with the coyotes by hunting them . I've had some luck, its definitely exciting when they come in to a call, and I'm saving rabbits (and beagles) to boot.
Same here .
TheJohnBirchSociety