Same Ol' Question

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Cameron Denison

Same Ol' Question

Post by Cameron Denison »

I am new to hunting with beagles, and I keep reading all the different posts about young dogs not opening up, or opening up late or not jumping the rabbit but what does it all mean to us? If your dog has one of these faults as a pup, can you correct it? I was under the impression that you train your dog basic obedience, and the hunting instintcs were bread in. Here is my situation.

I have a year old male that has been in the field about 6 times. I think he does really well, but I have nothing to compare him to because I've never hunted behind dogs before. Typically we'll get out in the field and he'll start going to town. The second he picks up a sent he starts barking and going nuts. I figure this is good, but he usually doesn't get the rabbit up. He will find (or so I think this is what is going on) the spot with the strongest scent and start to work his way out, but as soon as the scent gets weak he goes back to the strong spot, never getting very far down the trail. I know dogs should check, but I think this is more of a problem than a good thing.

I just keep taking him out and hoping he'll kick up a rabbit and run it. He has jumped 3 or 4 rabbits, but has yet to see them when he gets them up and has yet to chase a rabbit. Am I on the right track of just taking him back out, time after time and letting him gain experinece? OR, am I letting a bad habbit just get worse by not correcting it somehow? I've had people tell me that I need to get him out with experienced dogs, but that's hard to do when you don't know people with experienced dogs. Either way I love to watch him work and I really don't care if we come home with rabbits or not.

Would love to hear everyone's view on this. I am going to take him to the next field trial in DeSoto, MO on January 11. He might fail miserably (or might not), but I figure at least he'll be with "experienced" dogs and I can pick up some tips myself.

NC Beagler

Post by NC Beagler »

Sounds like the main thing your pup needs is more time in the field. I'd take him out every chance you could. Also, I'd consider finding a starting pen. This would speed up the "starting" process considerably.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Cameron, don't take this wrong but I think you're setting him up for more than failure if you enter him in a field trial at one-year-old and little experience on rabbit. Consider the possibility of a good old-fashioned deer riot and you can't have a shock collar on your hound. I feel like field trials are "proving grounds" and not "training grounds". Go to the field trial and meet some folks, watch the hounds, and see if you can find someone who has a starting pen.

Even a day or so in a small sight-chasing pen might jump start your hound a bit. You might also consider buying a retired clean-running dog to help train your pup. If nothing else, and your patience allows, continue to take him to places you know have plenty of rabbits and eventually he will get his sight chase and drop his head to track.

Another thought, contact some folks that are going to the trial and see if anyone has an older, seasoned hound you can bring back with you for a while to run your pup with. Many times those treasured older hounds don't get to get out as often as the ones being trialed and it would be a good treat for both parties. Good luck to you!

Cameron Denison

Post by Cameron Denison »

Points well taken. In fact, I wasn't planning on taking him to the trial, but everyone I talked to when I was getting information talked me into taking him. I'm actually glad you all agree with my thinking on that one!

I have been taking him to Bush Wildlife (local area, lots of rabbits, no hunting allowed). They have areas with rows of brush and open field inbetween, so if he gets one up it has to run in the field where he can see it. I will keep taking him out there and letting him figure it out on his own. I don't think my wife will let me bring someone elses dog home.

As far as a starting pen, he almost has one in our backyard (not really, but kind of a funny story) :) My wife says the rabbits are just messing with him. Everyday he goes outside and hunts for rabbits. We have a small fenced in backyard with a couple of evergreens that the rabbits usually hide under. I think they have his timing down, because they are rarely back there when he goes out anymore, but every once in a while he'll get one going and they will run around the yard 2 or 3 times before the rabbit gets out. So I guess he has chase rabbits, but I don't really count them. :D

Thanks again.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Cameron, I'm glad you have good areas to let him run. Six times out is nothing yet. Sounds like he's doing real well. :cool: Most hounds go out many times more than that before they are started so hang in there. :biggrin: