Tail banding?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sem

Tail banding?

Post by sem »

Anyone have any pictures of a dogs tail after it has been done and healed? Did a search and can't find any. Also nay tips and pros and cons. Have one that I think it would help. She was wore down pretty good last time out and I think part of the problem was blood loss.

mybeagles

Re: Tail banding?

Post by mybeagles »

Ive done a few dogs in the past and currently have a band on a dog now. Once its healed the hair grows over it and you will not notice a difference in looks unless you take 2-3" off then it might be noticeably shorter.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

fast tracker

Post by fast tracker »

after tail banding has any one seen performance increase.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I dont know about performance improving but he is not a bloody mess after every hunt. I ran him 6 days straight on Drummond Island (5-6 hours) and he lost enough blood to have me concerned. Banned his tail and the tip just fell off couple days ago. Been on a couple hunts in the briars and his tail isn't bleeding anymore. Might not make a difference but I dont have to wonder.
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Budd

Post by Budd »

They have briers on Drummond? Never been there, just visualized it as being all spruce forest. Had a cat/bear hound that would beat his tail raw in open hardwood, don't know how he done, inside of my dog box always looked like I had a dog fight in it from all the blood..LOL

Big Oak Beagles

Post by Big Oak Beagles »

I've banded some puppies before but let the veterinarian cut a few grown dogs.On my pups I felt for the joint between bones to put the band,when it started to come off I gave the pup a shot of penicillin and sprayed the tail with blue Lotramin or an antiseptic spray for infection.never had any problem.Grown dogs usually took a stitch or two and thought it was easier done under the vet's care.I know there's people out here that might think it's crazy to run a dog to the the veterinarian for a simple tail dock,but if you drop a chunk of money on a grown broke dog or invest time and effort into training from a puppy ,I would rather the veterinarian be responsible if something goes wrong..lol

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

There were no briars on Drummond but they may have beat them open on the junipers if they ran in there alot.
I was never for docking but if your determined to do it, do it as puppies when you take off the dewclaws. If you nip off the 3-5 day old pups tail, just taking off the size length of the dewclaw from the tip of the tail, it will only grow out to be only about 3/4 full length.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Just put a band on one today.

Send me a text on 3046946331 and I can text you some pics.

I just like the look of the shorter tail...just my opinion.

I trim the hair with scissors all the way around the area to be banded, about 1/2 wide. Spray the area down with alcohol and/or peroxide mixture.
Apply the band and let it settle in between the bones in tail..it will kind of place itself.

I then spray the tip, above the band, about every 2-3 days with the alcohol and peroxide mixture. That helps to dry up the portion that will fall off.

After tail tip falls off I use just plain old Vaseline on it to heal it up over a week or so after.

I have a 100 percent success rate thus far...I am sure failure will come. But so far so good.

Good luck!!

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

You guys go through a bigger process than I do.....I Take a band spreader and pull off the band about 1" from tip of tail. The band settles into the joint. About week later the tip turns black, about a week after that the tip falls off leaving a closed up tip with plenty of hair to cover the end. Ive done 5-6 dogs through the years the same way. Always do it in the winter so flies and infection not an issue. I dont do it unless they are loosing lots of blood. Little bit of bloody tip no big deal but if there whole body is covered in blood its time to fix it.

No briars on Drummond that I seen. I was referring to the briars around here that I have been running him in since I banned his tail.....no blood. I think some dogs swing their tail harder than others and this particular dog has a heavier boned tail.
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly