Starting Pen Question?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Big Oak Beagles

Starting Pen Question?

Post by Big Oak Beagles »

What is a good method for keeping hawks and owls from getting my rabbits in a starting pen?Laws prevent me from using my 12gage.Someone told me to use the plastic owls, but won't that attract the real one's to come in?I have brushed it in pretty thick but still find a few that have been gotten.Any legal suggestions?I've put a mix of cotton tails and Tennessee Red Backs.

rabbitatfarm

Re: Starting Pen Question?

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I have heard and read that movement and noise work. Hang old CDs and metal lids in tree branches or on posts. Solar powered lights can also be added for night hours. See Snowmanbeagles.com.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

I had a 5ac. Pen here in michigan and it did not have alot of ground cover to hide rabbits. I did not lose too many rabbits until i did not have dogs in it on a regular basis i have lost as amny as 15 in 2 weeks. Activity in the pen works best. I spoke to Levon Rellinger also here in mi. And he said he had the same problem until he added the blinking lights at night which run around $20 last i checked. He said he had one approx. every 1-2 ac. Depending on how thick it is , he said that after using them his loss dropped dramatically . The light s are claimed to mess with vision of predators. I no longer have a pen do to loss of game.
I hope this helps and good luck , Tom Summers

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Lead and pole traps are 2 things that work well on both.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Lead and a pole and trap will get you a nice fine here in Michigan. Hawks and owls are protected and I think federally as well.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Big Oak Beagles

Post by Big Oak Beagles »

Yes,hawks and owls are protected here in North. Carolina as well.$ 5000 fine.even our native American's can't possess hawk feathers for their head dress without a special permit and they have to get them from the wildlife commission. Thanks fellows for the info,I will give the lights a try.I have the pie tins already flying but I think the birds get used to them after a time.Hope everyone had a great Christmas! Deer season is ending here and were getting fired up to chase some bunnies :D