Ear Bleed

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ironjawdawgs

Ear Bleed

Post by ironjawdawgs »

Has anyone ever had a dog go down while out running from blood loss from an ear bleed? My buddy had a female drop in the feild while huntin her today. Said she wouldn't quit. Had to rush her to the vet and put her under to have it stitched back up! I had her up here running her this spring to breed her and she had a bad bleed but never went down. I've never had any come close to death from an ear bleed like she did today! First time I've heard and I've run a lot of hounds in thick cover!
Pure Northway... #Nofearnoquit

mjd

Re: Ear Bleed

Post by mjd »

Put some vit k in her feed it will help clot her blood

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

He may see this and know, but I'll let him know anyways. Thanks for the tip. His wife works at a fairly well vet clinic so they have at their finger tips the best care she can receive.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I've had ears cut and tore, they bleed like a stuck hog but never one run out of gas. Powder blood stop will clot it up.
Is her gums pale? her eyes look wormy. Check her for hooks or whipworms. Had two yrs ago heartworms made lay down and quit.

Crow

Post by Crow »

mjd wrote:Put some vit k in her feed it will help clot her blood
Or will increase her PT / INR (clotting values) to dangerous levels & possibly cause heart attack, stroke, pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis or a host of other blood clot related issues. Just like people if you're going to start changing the clotting factors then regular lab work is necessary.

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

S.R.Patch wrote:I've had ears cut and tore, they bleed like a stuck hog but never one run out of gas. Powder blood stop will clot it up.
Is her gums pale? her eyes look wormy. Check her for hooks or whipworms. Had two yrs ago heartworms made lay down and quit.
Last time I talked to him he said her gums had started to return to normal color. This female lives with a vet technician so I'd hope she's in good hands. lol! I see what you mean about the look of her eyes. She just came from being put under. Maybe that had something to do with the looks of her eyes. His wife is pretty anal about keeping them parasite free and UTD on all their shots and recieve an excellent diet. He said she has been giving them in his words "gob" lol (vitamins I assume) of something to ensure they're at tip top shape health wise! They are keeping her inside for a few days to keep her body temp up and a close eye on her.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I'm only looking at her head. When you see the skull brows and temple sunk in with the eyes, the hounds in bad shape.
Vet tech. or not, this old girl needs a rest and some meds.
Good luck with her.

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

S.R.Patch wrote:I'm only looking at her head. When you see the skull brows and temple sunk in with the eyes, the hounds in bad shape.
Vet tech. or not, this old girl needs a rest and some meds.
Good luck with her.
I definitely agree! She needs some fat on her bones I told him and a weeks worth of R&R! She just don't have any blood left he said! :/

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Use corn starch works great.

rickie

Post by rickie »

is that stormy of brent's

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

rickie wrote:is that stormy of brent's
Yes sir! He said she's back up and wagging her tail nose down again.

Moore Beagles

Post by Moore Beagles »

Could Be Genetic...?

Factor VII deficiency

Factor VII (FVII) deficiency, an autosomal recessive trait originally identified in Beagles, is associated with a mild to moderate bleeding. Recently, the mutation responsible for this recessive trait has been identified by Dr Urs Giger and researchers at the University of Pennsylvania.

The test, available at VetGen, detects this mutation and shows whether a dog is affected (2 copies), clear (0 copies) or carrier (1 copy). Carriers, who have one normal and one mutant/diseased gene/allele, have normal coagulation and routine coagulation tests and are therefore not at risk for bleeding.

The test is effective in Airedale, Alaskan Klee Kai, Beagle, Giant Schnauzer and Scottish Deerhound to date.
I'll keep My GOD, MY Freedom, My Guns, and My Money! You can keep the "CHANGE".

The Rich and Poor have a common bond, The LORD is the maker of them all. Proverbs 22:2

Blessed by the Best

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

Moore,
I'm not quit sure about ur post. The female had about 2" to 3" slice all the way along the main artiartery on the outer edge of her ear. Every time it would go to clot up she would brake it open again in the brush. Idk know if it could have had anything to do with genetics? Maybe I'm missing the point of your post!

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

Once when Simba was about 5 years old we ran him hard all day and about 30 minutes before we quit, Simba walked out and struggled to get to me. He was so bloody you could hardly tell his true L&W color. This is the only time up until then I ever saw him quit. I should add that per the Garmin he had run around 20 miles that day.

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

Best stuff for wounds is that magic dust powder for horses and the blue spray stuff. I had a gyp that needed surgery to have her back dew claws removed, and managed to get on one with her tongue. Looked awful since it was nice and open. Fairly good size hole. I packed it with the magic dust, sprayed the blue spray on it, and wrapped it really good. She never got it off when I wrapped it, and changed it every few days. She healed up real nice.