IS IT POSSIBLE

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

billy boy

IS IT POSSIBLE

Post by billy boy »

Is it possible to breed beagles that run on a 7 or 8 speed scale that can stay very close to the line without over runs and also have big noses to work rough track without too much mouth and of course hunt hard in the thick to find the rabbit. seems like too fast dogs over run and have too many checks slow dogs bark all the time even right thru the check and never shut up. are they're any bloodlines that consistently throws the style of hound described above? i can't stand real mouthy dogs but on the other hand the over runs swinging and skirting too much gets on my nerves .

rabbit chaser

Re: IS IT POSSIBLE

Post by rabbit chaser »

sounds like your looking for a "tweener" dog. I have one and love gunning over her. She is to fast for UBGF and not quite fast enough for midwest. She is heavy green bay bred and just never got the speed that i'm guessing she was expected to have. I have seen several over time on here advertised as "medium speed" and I would guess run just like her. For a gun dog you can't beat it on cottontails but she just don't have the "it" factor for trialing.
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Check out green bay kennels .
TheJohnBirchSociety

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

It's not only possible but I think it's somewhat common to have 1 or 2 out of many litters. The thing is beagles are a crap shoot, you simply can't decide what you want and breed it 100% of the time. I know a lot of guys will say buy "XYZ" kennels dog and you'll get just that but if you want to be honest with yourself most of the time when you see a certain kennel that is consistently having a certain type of dog at trials you generally are seeing a kennel that keeps the entire litter until they are all started and then they cherry pick their favorites and see the others as started dogs. No kennel is producing 100% dogs with all the traits they want.

bbg

Post by bbg »

That's what we run in the NEBGF.