What becomes of your old hunting dogs?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

APFII

Re: What becomes of your old hunting dogs?

Post by APFII »

I guess the meat hunters have a different outlook on their hounds than I do.I cull inferior hounds,but if a hound gives me ten years of enjoyment ,he earns a retirement.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

:check: :check:

44magman

Post by 44magman »

don't lump all us meat hunter together I have never trailed my own dogs but have handled a few for other people . I just hunt my dogs and when they get old they die here and get just as much time as the younger dogs get and sometimes more . they are more of a joy to be around .

APFII

Post by APFII »

44magman wrote:don't lump all us meat hunter together I have never trailed my own dogs but have handled a few for other people . I just hunt my dogs and when they get old they die here and get just as much time as the younger dogs get and sometimes more . they are more of a joy to be around .
You are right ,I should not have lumped all together. My apologies . I run mostly for pleasure . Gun and trial a little.

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

I have an 11-1/2 year old right now that was one of the best I ever owned. He seems to still be in very good health for his age. I take him out sometimes with unstarted or barely started pups. He still can run one, just much slower than he used to. He does some things he never used to like bark an old track a little and I've seen him backtrack a bit, but not far, which he never used to do. Guess his mind is going a bit, but I would also like to have more room for another pup or young up and coming hound, but he has been very good to me for many years and gave me some great memories. He will die in my kennel as I would not even give him away unless I was positive he went to someone I knew would treat him like he treated me all those years and still let him out to do what he loves every so often. You will soon enough have room for more hounds, don't rush it too much, a lot of us think that if I only had more room the next one I get will be that great hound I've been looking for when the old guy might have been one of those in the past and should be given the chance to go out of his life where he is comfortable, in the surroundings he knows. I understand it is a hard choice that all of us that own hounds have to face, but unless the dog is suffering, mine will die in my kennel. This is just my own opinion however for what it's worth. Good luck and good running to all.

Blue Chaser

Post by Blue Chaser »

likeemfast wrote:Joey, their working hounds, they serve a purpose that is useful to you, when that purpose can no longer be performed then its time to move on. I see no reason to feed something just to feed it when i can feed something that is useful. I dont own pets, i own working hounds that i treat very well while they work for me. Do what your gut tells ya. Their your hounds and no one else's, Its that simple........As someone stated give them away if need be as a pet. As always just my opinion.
Hope you never retire. At that point you're just a drain on the rest of us and your purpose has been completed. Doing nothing but using SS and Medicare :roll:

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Things look different to a lot of 'ol farm raised folks.

When the mule you raised from birth and cared for for many years, rode your children and grandchildren quits pulling the plow, off to the dog food plant. When the bull you also raised, cared for, quits getting the cows pregnant, off to the dog food plant. Same with chickens, horses, hogs, cats, and dogs.

They are animals that are bred to do a job, not humans.

Kindest thing for many dogs when they quit hunting, lack of desire or old age, is put down. Always a younger dog wanting to be at your place and take their place. Tryouts held each year.

Beagles are like Alabama football players, always one younger coming on to compete and take someones spot.
Last edited by Alabama John on Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

When the mule you raised from birth and cared for for many years, rode your children and grandchildren quits pulling the plow, off to the dog food plant. When the bull you also raised, cared for, quits getting the cows pregnant, off to the dog food plant. Same with chickens, horses, hogs, cats, and dogs.

Kindest thing for many dogs when they quit hunting, lack of desire or old age, is put down. Always a younger dog wanting to be at your place and take their place. Tryouts held each year.

Beagles are like Alabama football players, always one younger coming on to compete and take someones spot.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Kindest thing for many dogs when they quit hunting, lack of desire, injury, or old age, is put down. Always a younger dog wanting to be at your place and take their place. Tryouts held each year.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Kindest thing for many dogs when they quit hunting, lack of desire, injury, or old age, is put down. Always a younger dog wanting to be at your place and take their place. Tryouts held each year.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Sorry folks, a Rino came up on our computer when we hit send and it did this!!!

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Funny Andy, she isn't going anywhere. When she stops running she is going to come in live in the house with me.....wheather the wife likes it or not...!

dirtypondbeagles

Post by dirtypondbeagles »

wheather the wife likes it or not...! ha ha
Last edited by dirtypondbeagles on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Blue Chaser wrote:
likeemfast wrote:Joey, their working hounds, they serve a purpose that is useful to you, when that purpose can no longer be performed then its time to move on. I see no reason to feed something just to feed it when i can feed something that is useful. I dont own pets, i own working hounds that i treat very well while they work for me. Do what your gut tells ya. Their your hounds and no one else's, Its that simple........As someone stated give them away if need be as a pet. As always just my opinion.
Hope you never retire. At that point you're just a drain on the rest of us and your purpose has been completed. Doing nothing but using SS and Medicare :roll:

Your welcome to keep hounds in your home if you like or feed them if their non productive,........ me, i understand the fact their actually just dogs.
Alabama John wrote:Things look different to a lot of 'ol farm raised folks.

Well stated John.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Nobody is going to appreciate what the dogs have done through the years like you will. Its not that complicated, you have 3 options:
1. Keep them till they die
2. Pawn them off on someone that feels sorry for them
3. Put them down

We all know what your going to do Joey....better start building another kennel.

I always sell dogs by 5 years old so i never have that problem.

If you would like another pup you could always sell one of the running dogs.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly