What is considered "Prime Hunting Age" for Beagles

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

way-ahead-beagles

What is considered "Prime Hunting Age" for Beagles

Post by way-ahead-beagles »

I have a young dog (1 yr, 4 months) with New City blood on both sides. He is doing pretty good, runs really hard. I also have an 8 year old gyp that does well, has lost a step the last year or so, but is really good getting the dogs back on trail. With the young dog just getting his feet and the old dog losing a step, when can I expect the young dog to really "turn it on" so to speak? This may be a dumb question, but I'm curious as to what is the average age a dog really comes into his own.

Thanks.

Skip

Re: What is considered "Prime Hunting Age" for Beagles

Post by Skip »

Four....give or take a year

Newt

Post by Newt »

Most dogs peak at about age three and start down hill at about six. Of course it depends on the line of dogs.
The dogs in my kennel usually can start helping at about seven months. I've got and eleven year old male, by Sudduth's Mississippi Homer, that is eleven. He still hunts, jumps, but he tends to wander off of the check. I think his nose is failing him.

way-ahead-beagles

Post by way-ahead-beagles »

Ok, thanks.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I'd say from my experience that the dogs I keep really come into their own as 3 year olds.Not saying that they are not doing plenty before then but seem to really come on in that third season.By 7 years old I can see changes and a gradual decline in their ability to run the front with the younger dogs in the kennel or the stamina to run hard on back to back to back hunting trip days afield.That being said I've had the opportunity to run/gun behind some senior hounds at 10-12 years old that could still get the job done on a more limited basis.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

1st you can not ask a dumb question IMHO , I agree with Dana 3 to 7.
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Beagle Huntsman

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

My hounds get really good at about 4 and usually can run well with the pack up to about 10, sometimes longer. I also have a lot of New City bloodline. The good conformation from that line should give him more years than the average beagle.