what determines the value of a pup

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beaglestotrack

what determines the value of a pup

Post by beaglestotrack »

What determines the value of a pup for me I like to see
1repeat cross that has been successful
2 the health of the pup
3 if the mother is successful as a solid proven rabbit dog
4if the father is successful. As proven rabbit dog
5size of the pup
6 the rest of the pedigree

When shopping for a pup this is some of what I look for in determining the value of a pup I see folks pricing pups pretty high out of brood bitches as they call um when asked if they run they say no just a brood bitch

What are your opinions

jpratt

Re: what determines the value of a pup

Post by jpratt »

I think also supply and demand factor in too. Do people want the cross? Is it the "hot" line at the time everybody's trying to get.

beaglestotrack

Post by beaglestotrack »

Ok so flavor of the month or year

Crow

Post by Crow »

beaglestotrack wrote:Ok so flavor of the month or year
Absolutely, flavor of the month is probably number one on that list IMO.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Sire, dam, and reputable breeder.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I remember back in 92' Apache X Dunn's Little Red pups $500-$800.
I got Gypsy cause they thought she was going oversized.
Certain crosses and field trial success stirs the excitement in some folks. Supply and demand fuel the prices.
The cost of keeping hounds and raising pups has risen, food has doubled and shots have tripled. The poorman's sport is making him poorer. If you have to buy all these electronically controlled devices to keep track and control your hounds, you better have a good income on your retirement plan...jmho

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

The intersection between what a person is willing to pay and what someone is willing to sell for.

Multiple breeders indiscriminately flooding the market brings the price down.

Single biggest factor for me is the ability of parents.
Second would be the producing history of the parents.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

beaglestotrack

Post by beaglestotrack »

so if someone was to breed two dogs that are the flavor of the month but both parents do not run rabbits or are just terrible rabbit dogs. That have great ped. Backing them these should be high valued pups ?

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

If you can find the right buyer.. Yes.. my self im not selling a pup for any more than i would want to pay for one.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

To add i have not seen that big of a difference in pup price to worry about it. Beagles are cheap compared to a $900 labradoodle puppy. How many people would ever spend that on a beagle pup>>>>not many.
it might cost that to get one from Branko with shipping But if i was ever to spend that much on a pup i had better seen the parents and grandparents run enough that i formed my own opinion on them. Anyone who spends large money on a pup or dog sight unseen (Knowing parents are Quality and Family behind them are Quality,,,NOT heresay) Is making a giant mistake.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

Norshore

Post by Norshore »

http://beagle.ohiopuppiesforsale.net/?id=387704

Glad the yuppie crowd tend to think hunting with hounds is not cool or I could never afford a pup.

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

First I am new to beagles but not knew to breeding dogs. But for me both the parents and grandparents of the right breeding most be proven rabbit dogs, also for me the pedigree is got to be to my liking. The pup must be from parents that throw the size of beagle I am looking for, I like 13 inch beagles so I want both parents to be 13 inchers. I like black and tans but all colors are OK. I do lean toward certain bloodlines but that is a personal preference and I consider the bloodline I like, to be better than the others but someone else may not. I like a beagle to be line bred. I like the sires’ father to be the same dog as the dams’ great grandfather on the bottom. Now for price if it matches all my criteria I would pay more for the pup, but still the price would need to be within reason. If from World Champion stock then $350 to $400 would be reasonable. I just think puppies from dogs from World Champion stock should bring a higher price than from an average hunting beagle, no I do not field trial dogs nor do I breed dogs. To me a first time cross is just as ok as a proven cross if the breeding is to my liking.

Ok with the above being said the hunting beagle does not have a broad base as other breeds so the market is just not there for higher price puppies. Proven adult dogs can demand a higher price and that would be expected, you get what you pay for and that goes for puppies also. I would like to see the hunting beagle stay a hunting beagle and this can only be accomplished if the breeding aspect stays in the hands of those that field trail or hunt there beagles. I do believe that an AKC hunting beagle is a separate strain of beagle if not actually a separate breed than the AKC Show beagles. Once again this is just my opinion and I know others will have a different view than me and that is the way it is supposed to be. Now take a hunting beagle and go afield and listen to what a real beagle is supposed to sound like and to act like and remember it is all about the beagle not about the kill, that’s just the extras.
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

beaglestotrack

Post by beaglestotrack »

My beagles has produced the most intelligent answer he nailed it. :dance:

Flavor of the month means nothing if the parents are not rabbit dogs or reproducers!!!

Brad 3

Post by Brad 3 »

I have always priced my pups on the higher side intentionally. I feel if the initial price is an issue you cant afford to give it the proper care and afford to trial or hunt it anyway. It is a great method in an effort to get your pups in quality homes.

beaglestotrack

Post by beaglestotrack »

Brad what if your pup turns out to be a dud and the person you sold it to put it into rabbits everyday do you then feel like you sold them short?