hey casey

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ericwaddle3

Re: hey casey

Post by ericwaddle3 »

S.R.Patch wrote:Imho, don't think to terrible about those rabbits that take the short-cuts to the hole. A doe rabbit spends a good portion of time sitting close to the holes and under ground. I would venture a guess if your holing a good number of rabbits in an area, you've got some good breeding stock there for this springs new litters.
A old dear friend told me one time, "if your killing doe rabbits, your shooting them off the dogs jump them or kicking them up jump-shooting them,... you won't get a good race from a doe rabbit."
Keep track and I bet you find this to be mostly true.
It isn't always been the case, but I do notice that the majority of my "bigger" running rabbits tend to be bucks. So I'm a believer.
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

joshy4444

Post by joshy4444 »

I catch one fairly often but hate it because usually it's a good running rabbit and you don't get to run it again. The cover has to be just right, if it's too thick the dogs cannot put enough pressure on him and for me if it's not thick enough my dogs are kinda rough and it's too much up and down running. This also helps, it cost about 25 bucks and when it's below about 60% humidity tough to catch one.

Pentecostalkennels

Post by Pentecostalkennels »

We were gun hunting last weekend in Missouri and had the dogs catch a couple. I think there were just so many rabbits that some of them jumped up at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Jonathan Gheen
Pentecostal Kennels

Mr. Bowman

Post by Mr. Bowman »

S.R.Patch wrote:Imho, don't think to terrible about those rabbits that take the short-cuts to the hole. A doe rabbit spends a good portion of time sitting close to the holes and under ground. I would venture a guess if your holing a good number of rabbits in an area, you've got some good breeding stock there for this springs new litters.
A old dear friend told me one time, "if your killing doe rabbits, your shooting them off the dogs jump them or kicking them up jump-shooting them,... you won't get a good race from a doe rabbit."
Haven't killed a lot this year but the last 8 we have took were all males all after a 30 min run at least, most well over 45 min runs have done 3 or 4 in a row in the past but thought 8 was kinda crazy

Mr. Bowman

Post by Mr. Bowman »

Haven't killed a lot this year but the last 8 we have took were all males all after a 30 min run at least, most well over 45 min runs have done 3 or 4 in a row in the past but thought 8 was kinda crazy

billfosburgh

Post by billfosburgh »

m
y female will catch 2 or 3 a year. had a male a couple years ago that could catch them pretty regular.
CH HBCH Gotta Go Freakin Deacon
CH Andrea`s Cry Baby Emma
CCH Mtn. Views Art of Deception (Sly)
LP B CH LPRCH Big Country`s Mo JO