Ever had a dog caught in a trap?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

steve w

Ever had a dog caught in a trap?

Post by steve w »

This year and last I've had it happen to me, both times only one hurt was the people (me one time a friend the other) because we were not smart enough to put a coat over the head of the dog we were releasing and were bit by a panicked dog. I ran across this and thought it might be of interest to others. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1060273367331473

JCM

Re: Ever had a dog caught in a trap?

Post by JCM »

Two weeks ago I had two dogs that got caught on the same night at different spots. I ran them both the next night and they were fine. Like you said though, you definitely have to be careful when you get them out.

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

Had one get caught in a trap about 8-9 years ago in the southern Indiana coal mine ground. Dog jumped a rabbit and was leaving out with it when all of a sudden his bark changed and he was not moving. I ran in to the cat tails to see what happened and a trap had got him right across the muzzle. I thought for sure it was broke, I got him freed up, he took back off running like nothing happened. I don't know how it didn't at least break something, goes to show how tough these dogs really are.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

barnold1

Post by barnold1 »

Last year at a field trial, my dog stepped in one while the pack was running a rabbit. Luckily the judge was there to see it, called me down, and he held her muzzle while I removed the trap. We moved to a new location and she kept on rolling. Luckily it was a small coilspring; no damage to her.
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE

BAR-NONE

Post by BAR-NONE »

She ended up winning that cast too didn't she Bill

Jake Asbury
In GOD we trust, everybody else pays cash

barnold1

Post by barnold1 »

BAR-NONE wrote:She ended up winning that cast too didn't she Bill

Jake Asbury
She did Jake. Went on to be part of that finals cast along with your Shy dog the next day, one heck of an hour of hardcore pounding!
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE

salt ridge

Post by salt ridge »

My son and I each had a dog in traps about 50yds. apart 3 years ago. Neither dog was hurt bad, but I don't know why anyone would set traps within 75 yds. of a parking area on public ground. My son was judging a cast 3 weeks ago on the same area and one of the dogs in the cast got in a trap close to the parking area again ! Trappers have as much right to their sport as we do, but a little common courtesy would avoid some problems.

Topfuel John

Post by Topfuel John »

Had my young male caught in a snare a month ago on public grounds,lucky my buddys and me were only 30 yards away and was able to run over and cut him out of it,preety scary scene for a minute!

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I've never had a dog caught or caught one. I ran a trapline for years. I always warned the neighbors who had dogs and made my sets dog-proof as possible. I released two badgers one year--we didn't have a season. One i put a bucket over his head; the other I held him down with a crotch stick. Put a coat over an excited dog. For Conibears, carry a length of rope and learn how to set these traps. I avoid public land during trapping season and always ask permission on private ground.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

John Way

Post by John Way »

Had a gyp put her entire head through a 220 double spring. Being a trapper I heard the familiar snap from the dirt trail I was on. I went through the briars and cattails like a mad man and located my hound in a minute or two. Some how with cold hands , was able to release both springs. The lifeless body lay there. I picked her up and started carring her out. All at once she started to breath and move. Within 30 seconds she was wrestling out of my arms. It was a miracle.
I also caught a curr in one of my stream set foot holds years ago. I could see it was somones hunting dog and needed to free it. This dog was wild vicious in the trap. I didn't have a game pole , so placed my carhart jacket over his head, put him in a body lock and released the trap, hoping he wouldn't turn on me and need to be dispached. Oh he came after me alright, followed me all the way back to my truck and jumped in the front seat while I was trying to get in myself. Rode around with him for 2 days before came across a missing dog sign posed in a local supermarket. This guy was thrilled to get him back. Had been gone for 6 days. No damage to paw. Soft catch jaws and a domestic animal will typically not fight a trap.

BAR-NONE

Post by BAR-NONE »

barnold1 wrote:
BAR-NONE wrote:She ended up winning that cast too didn't she Bill

Jake Asbury
She did Jake. Went on to be part of that finals cast along with your Shy dog the next day, one heck of an hour of hardcore pounding!

I remeber that day Josie, tilly, and shy were sure putting on a show and matching up real well that day like you said it was non-stop sure would like to gun over these three females someday I know the dogs would be great but the company may just be better. Good to hear from you ya again

Jake Asbury
In GOD we trust, everybody else pays cash

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

J.C. Blair wrote:Had one get caught in a trap about 8-9 years ago in the southern Indiana coal mine ground. Dog jumped a rabbit and was leaving out with it when all of a sudden his bark changed and he was not moving. I ran in to the cat tails to see what happened and a trap had got him right across the muzzle. I thought for sure it was broke, I got him freed up, he took back off running like nothing happened. I don't know how it didn't at least break something, goes to show how tough these dogs really are.
Thats is the story to the tee. :nod: .
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

I've had a dog get caught in snares several times. In our area, Amish kids set snares for coyotes. In some fields, they will have a snare on every fence post.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

Oh man, I had one caught in a foothold trap and I thought for sure she was dead by the sound she was making.. She went crazy. She was biting me and we couldn't get near her... SHe just lost her mind. Finally got her out and she acted like nothing ever happened. It was about 50 yards or less from a parking lot on public ground.
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.