Jessamine Kentucky trial entries ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Ron Conroe

Re: Jessamine Kentucky trial entries ?

Post by Ron Conroe »

JCM wrote:Does it hurt Midwest entries when guys continue to run Field Champions after they finish just to win Hound of the Year?

I am just wondering if a guy continues to get beat by a dog with 10, 12, 15, or more wins if eventually he would just stay home.
I wouldn't think so. I think if you had a good dog, you would want to beat the best. Jmo

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Ron I agree with wanting to beat the best but sometimes it don't matter how good of a hound you bring is if your hound has to beat the leash holder as well!!!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

JCM

Post by JCM »

Ron Conroe wrote:
JCM wrote:Does it hurt Midwest entries when guys continue to run Field Champions after they finish just to win Hound of the Year?

I am just wondering if a guy continues to get beat by a dog with 10, 12, 15, or more wins if eventually he would just stay home.
I wouldn't think so. I think if you had a good dog, you would want to beat the best. Jmo
I'm not really thinking about a guy like you that has had a lot of success. I am thinking more about a guy who is just trying to get a ribbon.

The reason I asked is because I had a guy tell me last week that the Midwest President ran a dog all last year that was a Field Champion just to win the Hound of the Year. His comment was, "if he wants to win that bad I think I will stay home."

I am not saying I agree or disagree, I am just wondering if that could be hurting entries.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I wish everybody would run their Field Champions every weekend. I wouldn't care if I ever made the bench if I couldn't beat the best competition. That would bump the entries up but not with derby hounds but the best around. If a man would stay home because the competition is too stiff then he had better stay home. Cant imagine a grown man that would want to win a ribbon with an average dog...... :loser:

I go to see the best around compete, unfortunately some finish young and are never seen again.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

KanesIrish

Post by KanesIrish »

There was a stretch of years in the mid nineties where Jessamine would have 90+ big males. If I remember correctly Campbell's Goodtime Gunner won a class of 103 big males, I believe it was one of the only trials he measured in, Magic Touch took second...the trial lasted 4 days.

As far as I know the biggest class ever ran in SPO was a class of 133 little bitches three years ago at the SPO Nationals. Todd Nigro from MA was one of the judges, it went for a full two days and he judged on foot.

Last count I heard there were 79 UBGF clubs And 26 Mid West Clubs. I believe the UBGF was founded around 1976 and the Mid West was founded around 1985. Many of the first MW left the UBGF to join.

PrussiaValleyKennels

Post by PrussiaValleyKennels »

This is just my opinion on the matter ,why don't people who are worried about buddy judging or not rolling with the best of circles in certain cliques come and give the PKC format a try,I promise u I've never heard a person say I got screwed,buddy judged or not in the clique after a PKC trial! I have ran all formats and I feel that PKC is by far the most fair and honest format out there.JMO I also feel that PKC promotes a more diverse hound being that the dogs must hunt and jump the rabbits,not the handlers,also the dogs cant just stand around and hitch hike like in other formats and still win,they will be scratched in 5 minutes in PKC for this,PKC also promotes a line running, check dog,being how 90% of the lines marked there is usually a breakdown before it,and last thing there is not 1 guy or 2 guys judging your hounds! everything is seen and judged by all 4 cast members and must be agreed on before scoring.Heck to me that's a no brainer! JMO "to each his own" :D
"Put some power in your pack"
prussiavalleykennels.weebly.com

houndsmen06

Post by houndsmen06 »

Well said Prussia valley. I agree 100%.
Roundtown Kennels

wdc11

Post by wdc11 »

I am not bias against any format that is out here in the beagle world!
I think that if you have a dog that is good enough to place or win a trial that dog can't be denied every time you show up!! Just got to keep going!!

With this being said there are issues in every format you run in!!! There is no way to keep everyone happy...

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Jim i dont believe it hurts entries when someone is running for high hound. Entries continue hold around the same numbers.
I tnink do to the fact that the hounds that are near the top in rankinings seem to be spread out over several formats. Usually only get 1 maybe 2 hounds per trial that are in the running so it really isnt a deterent to others.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

tom summers wrote:Jim i dont believe it hurts entries when someone is running for high hound. Entries continue hold around the same numbers.
I tnink do to the fact that the hounds that are near the top in rankinings seem to be spread out over several formats. Usually only get 1 maybe 2 hounds per trial that are in the running so it really isnt a deterent to others.

Like I said it isn't the dogs that are the deterents it's the call it what ever you want but i will call it inner circle leash holders and their buddies!!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

tcshy

Post by tcshy »

JCM wrote:
tcshy wrote:Just my opinion if you put on the AKC trail you shouldn't put your dog in the trail especially if you are the chairperson or a judge. If just doesn't look right even if you do have the best dog in the cast and end up placing several dogs in the trail. Clicks yes there are several and once people figure out there are clicks they will not travel long distances just to get screwed.
So the people that do all the work to make the trial possible shouldn't be allowed to participate? From my experience, every club has a few people that do most of the work. They make it so you can hold a trial. They are also the people who get a bunch of grief from the losers and soreheads. Now you want them to leave their dogs at home. Good luck with that. Why would they even bother?[/quoJ

JCM that is exactly what I am saying if you put on a trail don't enter your dog I wouldn't. Also, look back as several results and look at who's dog placed or won in the trails. Also, as far as running FC's I don't agree because what else do you have to prove running a finished dog except getting your picture in a magazine.

KanesIrish

Post by KanesIrish »

As an outsider looking in, I've followed the Mid West for a long long time. I have a few friends that live in the area and do fairly well in trials, consistently.

I have only attended one Mid West trial, but I have seen several "Mid West" dogs in different areas. I consider dogs like FC Talkabout Kelly and FC Sam's Fusion Is Ben two of the better dogs I"ve had a chance to see...fast, accurate, patient, a bunch of tools. I also really like what I have had a chance to see out of FC Mountain Ash Dino.

What I have noticed about the Mid West, more so then any other association is full of jealous, kennel blind, people that don't even know what their own dogs are doing, let alone what other peoples dogs are doing. I kind of thought this, but it really became evident to me when my marshal told me they already were running down our judging before first series was even over on this board. It is what it is. I have also noticed that this Mid West is full of very loud flashes in the pan, guys that come in, very successful very quickly and then can't come up with anything and you never see them again.

I have a hard time believing that houndsman like Don Hoog, Ron Conroe, Greg Wells, Chris Powers, Denny Dugan, etc, etc, etc , were in the "inner circle" when they came into the sport, let alone do I think they think they're in an inner circle.

Personally the two trial system is what has brought down on the entries at Jessamine. Before there were two trials here in the Northeast, Jessamine was a usual destination for many beaglers who ran both Large Pack and SPO here, also in Canada. It was the Super Bowl, they used judges from Florida to Ontario, and got the entries to justify it.

Two trials has changed beagling, some say for good, others don't think so.

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

Rob
The mid west DOES have a lot of "discussions" dont They?
why is that?

sparky

Post by sparky »

Because we might be a little Over Competitive,kinda like a rough hound always tryin to get the front :)
I personally like the Midwest,but it's definitely not perfect,although I really cant think of anything that is.
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

KanesIrish

Post by KanesIrish »

John,
I'm not saying we don't do our fair share of complaining up here, but it doesn't even come close to what you hear from down there. Strange.