Pack sizes

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

PDBCPres

Pack sizes

Post by PDBCPres »

What's the biggest number of dogs you run in your pack? How many dogs is too many to have in the ground at once? I would like some feedback from hunters and trialers

bill (flint river )

Re: Pack sizes

Post by bill (flint river ) »

on bare ground u can run as many as u want. we have had over 12 down with 2 guys. winter and bad snow more then 2 just dont work if the snow is a fine powder.

pcable

Post by pcable »

I don't like more than 5 or 6 dogs on the ground at once. The cover is thick here and it is hard to keep track of more than that. If the cover was more sparse I wouldn't mind more dogs on the ground.
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I like three although I would like to get all five out at one time. I don't have enough e-collars.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

jpratt

Post by jpratt »

I run 4 by myself, when my hunting partner comes we run 8. The most we ever ran at once was 22 with 5 people all on bare ground.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I like to run a trio as they can push pretty good and give enough music to be enjoyable to listen to.I'd say here in Tn. on these cottontails 5-6 dogs is about as many as I like to go with when I run with someone else. Any more than that and it can result in some "un-necssary roughness' calls.LOL.
When I travel up north to hare hun we usualy run 5-6 at a time yet we've had some heart pounding heads up runs with as many as 10.That's big country and the hounds are running a big stinky hare and even with a larger pack they can all get packed up good for an extended race that sounds super.
Twenty years ago I used to run some in the Large Pack on Hare trials in the Northeast .If you want to see something go check out a LP trial with about 40 15" males in it for the first couple of hours.Talk about a Chinese firedrill! LOL.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

plottwalker

Post by plottwalker »

i run what ever i own, no one stay at home. normally 7-10 dogs, and who ever goes with me. so on average at least 15 dogs on the ground. all bare ground, on brush rabbits and hare. i guess if i hunted more cottontail that might be to many dogs.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

IMO...more important than the number is the style. We haven't had much success running too many overly competitive dogs in ANY number. When we got the horse racers out then the races got MUCH better even with 6-8 dogs down on a cottontail.

All is what you like, but I really like 4 complimentary hounds that are very much the same style and very independent of each other...tough to get, but it can be done.

Good running to all!

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

i like to run as many as possible during good scenting conditions but have found that there is an advantage to only running one or two when the snow is deep .
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

For me, a 3 pack is perfect and a 5 pack is plenty. I figure if I can't get a good race out of them, I need different hounds. Running with my friends we may have 6-12 down. It's alot of fun to watch and compare hounds together.